Login

russian armor

Rear Echelon Redesign

24 Jul 2015, 02:00 AM

Hello gents! Given the recent OKW changes with Sturmpios being cheaper & faster to replace, indeed even Wehrmacht getting a manpower boost and the new T0 MG42, a RE rework would allow USF have more opening builds as well. Going Rifles only limits the flexibility and strategy of USF which leads to rather stale opening builds. By giving RE a more defined combat role will open up more options leading to more strategies of USF and interesting matches.

Overview of Redesign:
Making RE into a dedicated defense squad compared to the aggressive Rifle squad essentially. I'll go in more detail after showing the redesign in mind.

Redesign:
  • Have a increased accuracy penalty but is removed once in cover. Remove the firing accuracy penalty and have accuracy penalty on the move but gain increased accuracy in cover, buildings, firing positions, etc. (Maybe should take a few seconds to benefit, this would allow counter play with rushing them. Overwhelming them if rushed quick enough unless Rifles are there to support)

• Give the ability to place sandbags same ones in the Infantry Company.

• A light Anti-Tank mine that causes engine damage for 30 munitions.
    (USF really needs some mine on their RE with the only mines being the buggy & finicky doctrinal mines and the LT M20 mines)

• Volley Fire will suppress faster and/or slow down one enemy unit when equipped with BAR(s). (This will associate with the defense in mind and synergize with close range squads of USF allowing them to close in)

• Remove Volley Fire received accuracy penalty at veterancy 1 or 2 given Axis High DPS later during the game.

• Volley Fire Munitions cost goes down to 10 or below once equipped with BAR(s) to allow more usage. (After all, equipping a BAR on a RE squad would mainly be supportive in nature allowing more frequent usage of Volley Fire)

• Increase from 160MP to 190MP (increase maybe needed)

Effects of Redesign on USF:
While RE are good at setting up defenses (besides sandbags) and sweeping mines, that's the extent of their usefulness. Being only somewhat decent in combat with duel BARs ( a rather poor option in the first place) or limited to being only bazooka carriers (not a bad set up at all just limited in a supposedly versatile army) and without any upgrade are useless in combat.

This redesign aims at giving RE more utility and a defined role compared to Rifles, having two starting squads with two very different roles. RE would truly become the supporters of the USF, setting up defenses, defending, supporting, and synergizing with the more aggressive US forces. With Volley Fire becoming more useful and frequent with BARs, RE will have a good place in the USF for supporting engagements, slowing down or suppressing enemy units for other USF units to move in.

However they can't replace Rifles, lacking anti-tank grenades or any for that matter, they will quickly fall under vehicles and be unable to smoke or grenade enemy positions. This extends to being poorly suited for attacks due to the firing on the move and received accuracy penalties while out of cover. Overall RE would be more useful but can't survive on their own without support. Resulting in USF having more options and strategies.
24 Jul 2015, 02:25 AM

Ostruppen bonus is interesting but redundant if Volley Fire is buffed.

As for sandbags, tank traps are actually better sandbags that take longer to build.

I agree that REs could use something, but I don't think some of your changes would help that much.

IMO relationship between REs and Rifles should be Tac Marines and Scouts from DOW2, with Scouts also building stuff this time. Give REs a 30 muni Grease Gun upgrade, buff volley fire, and increase their sight range. I do like the idea of REs (or even Rifles) doing more damage inside FPs though.

Your ideas are creative on the right track, I just don't see them aiding though.

24 Jul 2015, 02:25 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

• Volley Fire will suppress faster and/or slow down one enemy unit when equipped with BAR(s). (This will associate with the defense in mind and synergize with close range squads of USF allowing them to close in)

I think it already does, actually.

But no one does it because the REs still won't do much damage with it and giving them BARs and depending on them to use Volley Fire costs you ALL OF THE MUNITIONS.
24 Jul 2015, 04:05 AM

how about adding them the ability to merge with other units like cons.
24 Jul 2015, 04:51 AM

I think what USF could really use is a small mortar with a shitty HE charge but a good smoke barrage.
24 Jul 2015, 05:57 AM
Donator 11

I think what USF could really use is a small mortar with a shitty HE charge but a good smoke barrage.

pack howie already has a reduced price, no need to turn the game into mortar/arty wars plus rifles have smoke
24 Jul 2015, 06:17 AM

I like this idea a lot. However it is quite a drastic redesign of a unit, hopefully Relic is up to the task. Both WF armies need some core changes.
24 Jul 2015, 06:27 AM

They are fine.. Just give them a mine similar to okw and soviets.
24 Jul 2015, 07:16 AM

pack howie already has a reduced price, no need to turn the game into mortar/arty wars plus rifles have smoke

Yes but the rifle smoke costs munitions.

I'm just saiyan, I'd spend some MP to have a dedicated smoke launcher so I could screen my assaults without bleeding more munitions than an MG42 in Stalingrad.
24 Jul 2015, 07:25 AM

Take away this dreadful rec acc penalty RETs get when using volley, so its actually usable against anything else then pios at max range.

This is the only unreliable ability in game with such a huge risk.
24 Jul 2015, 12:33 PM

Permanently Banned
Well okw is already in a good spot imo. Only lacking some way to deal with artillery and volks are kind of weird but work. Snipers are also brutal as fuck vs okw.
24 Jul 2015, 15:48 PM

Not only having powerful mainline infantry but also having the weakest supporting unit is truly the sickness. The concept of the hole army falls apart when you nerf the damage of riflemen. Weak ass weapons teams, light veichles that are nether the first on the field or the toughest or best armed or even the fastest.

All of these factors lean on the riflemen scourge pouring across the field.

So I am with you buddy. Changes needed.

Fucking volly fire. Fuck that shit. I hate it. Both ways. Its the reason they don't have some cool equipment or some cool ability.

RE's should get the smoke not riflemen. they should get a flare. They should get the timed Demo of para's. and they should get some kind of unique weapon upgrade. Grease guns would do nicely.

Most importantly they should get a mine sweeper for free. Right of the bat. Americans have very poor options for mines. This tips the balance.
24 Jul 2015, 20:40 PM

M3 grease gun upgrade, people.
24 Jul 2015, 20:50 PM

I say scrap the whole damn thing and redesign RE's as the mainline infantry and riflemen as major-tier "elite units" to better represent the fact that during the Battle of the Bulge mostly green/replacement/rear echelon units held the line initially, later supported by more veteran troops.
25 Jul 2015, 04:03 AM

A grease gun upgrade would be redundant considering all non doctrinal USF troops already excel at mid to close range combat. Main thing was of this design was hopefully get other people or even Relic into to making RE more viable and versatile. Getting others to make suggestions that more people would agree to or even want in the game.
One thing I highly find amusing on Tank Traps is that why give them to the Faction that relies on mobility the most to find success that limits their armour support maneuverability while also being unable to build mines (Such as leading tank traps into a mine) unless LT into M20.

Edit: Also updated the redesign with volley fire, RE veterancy, and fortifications.
25 Jul 2015, 04:21 AM

The Osttruppen-esque bonus is merely to allow RE to be more combat effective early game, becoming less useful later on until they are equipped with BARs or Bazookas. (Which the cover bonuses becoming more useful)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★