Login

russian armor

Lieutenant Buff

19 Jul 2015, 05:24 AM

Come next patch Captain will be a no brainer as USF. Now only 10 more fuel than Lieutenant, you don't sacrifice pressure to get out more reliable units like you did before.

Stuart > M20 in pretty much everyway. Mines are nice but so is a light tank, and AT guns.

AA half track is nice vs infantry spam, but again, the buffed pack howie is too. T0 units can deal with infantry spam too.

Lack of the .50 cal is not good, but: going Airborne, boom paradrop them. Going Infantry, you have Defensive Stance. Even using a different commander, BAR rear echelons suppress in a pinch.

Finally, Captain himself is better than Lieutenant. Sure what amounts to a free Rifle squad with tech is nice, but he has no AT ability and has no synergy with other units. Captain can fasten production-useful if tank rushed or for rushing tanks- soft countering light vehicles, dealing with bunkers/mine fields, and can use On Me!
for nice attacks.

By contrast the Lieutenant apples extra pressure up until the lategame, bleeding midgame, then falls off.

No new units can be added, a mortar wouldn't fit. My proposal? Make the officer more of a caster type unit (think artillery field officer, Major, Dark Zealot) that would help him scale into the lategame while giving the whole tier some more validity in light of coming changes.

1) remove his grenades

2) 50 munitions mortar strike ability

3)vet 1 "focus fire ability" that increases received accuracy of targeted enemy unit for 30 munitions.

Make his abilities get better with vet.

19 Jul 2015, 05:28 AM

No, because Liuetenant is and still will be very good? Why would i not go for a fast m20? Stuart doesnt pop out like a baby... Course 70 fuel is much better than 20. It takes 3.5 times longer to get.

I dont know where this "Captain Miracle Worker" vibe is coming from...

Just... I dont see the point.
19 Jul 2015, 05:34 AM

lieutenant tier is fine, captain tier is fine, but are useful, one isnt a no brainer over the other, they both have their advantages and disadvantages
19 Jul 2015, 05:51 AM

The fact that the 221 will now come with an autocannon kind of nullifies M20. Those 55 muni saved can equal riflenades that counter .50 cal, 1 LMG, 1 Teller mine, etc.

I'm trying to be preemptive here because I know Relic's pace. Captain tier units got buffed, price of said tier got buffed, and units that counter T1 on opposite side also has gotten buffed. (222)

All this will make USF T1 sucky in the long run, except if you go T1+T2 Armor company which is really situational for an entire tier of units.

With the FHT returning I'm really going to want AT guns too. (You could argue M20 mines on retreat paths but AT guns don't cost munitions and don't revolve on the enemy chasing you.)

Just worrying that T1 might disappear from the game with the coming changes.

19 Jul 2015, 05:57 AM

If anything should be done with the Lieutenant, it's that he should be able to use his grenades while you also have another Riflemen selected. He's too unwieldy as he is now when he must be selected as a single unit before you can use them.
19 Jul 2015, 06:14 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Maybe we'll see more Bazookas being fielded to counter the light armour that might come out to deal to counter LT tech given that the weapon rack are combine. While people say bazookas suck (sort of true against actual armour), the M20 vehicle crew is already enough to deter 222s from chasing/pushing and I don't think the Flame half-track will be that difficult to deal with. Even if you don't need those bazookas, you can BAR up all those rifles with that early stockpile of munitions.

Also, LT still has the shock value of having an anti-infantry squad of the Lieutenant and the early M20 which is always a pain to deal with. Furthermore with the changes to rifle grenades which will make .50cals live longer, you've got a tier that does very well against infantry that relies less on RNG (pack howies). Should be noted LT tier is USF access to something with a sight range of 50 in the form of the M20. Keep it alive and you have something to spot for Jacksons or other ranged units.

Of course, yes it doesn't sound as good in the long run as you're saying, but LT tech generally wasn't about establishing/preparing for later stages of the game. It's meant to capitalize/gain the advantage early-mid game and has a lot more pushing power than Captain tech thanks to its cheaper light vehicles, LT, and now with the changes, the .50cal supporting rifles against the Axis infantry who would be getting their upgrades. While it's no longer as cheap for the rush to Shermans, it's very good at taking map control for those resources.
19 Jul 2015, 07:21 AM

Maybe we'll see more Bazookas being fielded to counter the light armour that might come out to deal to counter LT tech given that the weapon rack are combine. While people say bazookas suck (sort of true against actual armour), the M20 vehicle crew is already enough to deter 222s from chasing/pushing and I don't think the Flame half-track will be that difficult to deal with. Even if you don't need those bazookas, you can BAR up all those rifles with that early stockpile of munitions.

Also, LT still has the shock value of having an anti-infantry squad of the Lieutenant and the early M20 which is always a pain to deal with. Furthermore with the changes to rifle grenades which will make .50cals live longer, you've got a tier that does very well against infantry that relies less on RNG (pack howies). Should be noted LT tier is USF access to something with a sight range of 50 in the form of the M20. Keep it alive and you have something to spot for Jacksons or other ranged units.

Of course, yes it doesn't sound as good in the long run as you're saying, but LT tech generally wasn't about establishing/preparing for later stages of the game. It's meant to capitalize/gain the advantage early-mid game and has a lot more pushing power than Captain tech thanks to its cheaper light vehicles, LT, and now with the changes, the .50cal supporting rifles against the Axis infantry who would be getting their upgrades. While it's no longer as cheap for the rush to Shermans, it's very good at taking map control for those resources.

I concede that most of this is true. Bazooka Rifles supported by .50 cals may work. I still disagree about the Scout Car though. I see it as deterring against the M20 and protecting the Sniper more than anything else. (And acting as lategame flank protection/recon.)

19 Jul 2015, 08:15 AM

Permanently Banned
If you go bars getting an extra 2 bazookas on your rear ech will be a no brainer. Go captain? You then have 4 bazookas that will be able to support your riflemen. Will work just fine.
19 Jul 2015, 08:35 AM

If the tier traded AA half track for a mortar I would be happy too. I suppose we'll see if it's UP in patch. Inb4 lock
19 Jul 2015, 14:28 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Why not LT and captain? Use m20 ,LT and 50 calfor insta map control den go captain and Stuart(and then cheaper pack Howie too) to further lock things down.(1v1 only)

Also if Aaht got 400 HP like Stuart that would be good too.. Otherwise you can't really buff LT Any more than they have :foreveralone:
19 Jul 2015, 17:37 PM

I just wish LT had a support ability tbh. Doesn't feel like an officer - feels like a sargent really. He's just a rifleman squad with some different weapons, better vet, and can sprint at vet3.

It would be nice if he had an ability that when activated increased suppression resistance around him or something.
19 Jul 2015, 17:43 PM

Why not LT and captain? Use m20 ,LT and 50 calfor insta map control den go captain and Stuart(and then cheaper pack Howie too) to further lock things down.(1v1 only)

Also if Aaht got 400 HP like Stuart that would be good too.. Otherwise you can't really buff LT Any more than they have :foreveralone:

With increased tech costs and call-ins tied to tech, this is actually a really good idea. Although going straight to major might be worth it just for Forward Retreat Point and the knockout punch Sherman.

An AA Track buff would be nice too tbh, but I don't know if an HP buff would be justified.
19 Jul 2015, 17:52 PM

I think 3 Rifles > CAPT + use it to supervise T2 to get superfast LT > whatever you need to counter the enemy will be the meta.
19 Jul 2015, 19:28 PM

Man if USF goes for captain I feel relaxed, no AAtrack pressuring from afar, no need to go fast Pak40, just a simple raketen will scare off the useless Stuart which has NO smoke, yes please go captain ;)
19 Jul 2015, 20:32 PM

If anything should be done with the Lieutenant, it's that he should be able to use his grenades while you also have another Riflemen selected. He's too unwieldy as he is now when he must be selected as a single unit before you can use them.

This would be nice. No reason for it to not be like how you suggested.
I just wish LT had a support ability tbh. Doesn't feel like an officer - feels like a sargent really. He's just a rifleman squad with some different weapons, better vet, and can sprint at vet3.

It would be nice if he had an ability that when activated increased suppression resistance around him or something.
I agree that the Lieutenant could use some sort of ability befitting its role as an officer. I dunno if it should make the unit more directly powerful or not, but making it feel less like just another rifleman would make USF feel less same-y.
20 Jul 2015, 00:53 AM
Patrion 27

Wait... wot?
20 Jul 2015, 17:42 PM

I had a feeling I might not have explained well enough...

Back in CoH1 for example, you could have say... Rangers and Riflemen in the same Ctrl group and still select grenades for use without having to specifically select Rangers or Riflemen. You could order both squads to throw grenades at the same time.

Whereas in this game, having Lieutenants and Riflemen selected at the same time cause the grenade button to be hidden. The button would only reveal itself when you don't have both the Lieutenant and Riflemen at the same time. This makes it harder to use your infantry to their full effect if the Lieutenant is in the same Ctrl group.
20 Jul 2015, 17:47 PM

I had a feeling I might not have explained well enough...

Back in CoH1 for example, you could have say... Rangers and Riflemen in the same Ctrl group and still select grenades for use without having to specifically select Rangers or Riflemen. You could order both squads to throw grenades at the same time.

Whereas in this game, having Lieutenants and Riflemen selected at the same time cause the grenade button to be hidden. The button would only reveal itself when you don't have both the Lieutenant and Riflemen at the same time. This makes it harder to use your infantry to their full effect if the Lieutenant is in the same Ctrl group.

So you have to focus less on selecting particular units and more on blobbing and A-moving.
20 Jul 2015, 17:55 PM

So you have to focus less on selecting particular units and more on blobbing and A-moving.
There is no need to put up artificial difficulty for players just because they have an LT and Rifleman on the same flank. Relic has been steadily steering towards punishing blobs within actual strategy, so there's no need for such attitudes.
20 Jul 2015, 18:46 PM

Shows how narrow minded people can be. Little does he know that I use two ctrl groups for infantry. Group One with a Lieutenant and one Riflemen and Group Two with two Riflemen. My suggestion can only help players of all skill levels.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★