Login

russian armor

Relic: June 23rd Update: About Balance

22 Jun 2015, 22:24 PM
Senior Editor Badge

http://blogs.companyofheroes.com/2015/06/22/june-23rd-update-about-balance/

As many of our fans will note, part of the June 23rd update centers around balance changes that our design team have made. We’d like to take another moment to thank our Alpha testers for all of their feedback and testing time.

We’ve been replying to your comments in the official feedback thread in our forums, and have seen a lot of insightful debate and questions. It’s worth further emphasizing one point that has been coming up quite a bit – the June 23rd update is only our first step in further rolling out what players experienced in our Alpha. While we can understand the desire to get your hands on new changes ‘right away’, the team felt that further testing was needed to ensure we are taking a methodical and measured approach in terms of how we re-balance the game.

Balance is a tricky subject – many people think that a simple change of values will do the trick or that a fix would ‘only take thirty seconds of developer time’. Neither of these facts are entirely true – one simple change can have a domino effect within the game, highlighting other areas that may also need to be further tuned in conjunction with the initial change. There is no magic bullet nor quick fix for things, and it is important to us that we ensure we are making changes we feel entirely confident in.

The updates in the Alpha were not intended for an immediate release – many of the changes were highly experimental, and we wanted to test them with the community to measure the very early level of ‘fun factor’ so that we can improve upon them even further. While the Alpha was fantastic for gauging fan reaction to the changes (a reaction that was almost overwhelmingly positive!), we were not comfortable with the amount of balance-related data measurement we were able to gather. To dump everything contained within the Alpha into the live game, without a full understanding of how it will impact the live environment would be far too reckless. The strategy of gradually deploying changes is not rooted in the fact that we felt the community couldn’t handle them, and is instead a tactic chosen to ensure we can secure more clear measurements on how these changes will impact the live environment in order provide the best in-game experience possible.

We thank everyone for your feedback thus far, and encourage you to continue sharing your thoughts over in our forums. The feedback thread is still going strong!

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/67-coh-2-changelog?p=179158#post179158

22 Jun 2015, 22:33 PM

This post makes me wanna wait so bad. Kappa

*hard
22 Jun 2015, 22:38 PM

This post makes me wanna wait so bad. Kappa

*hard

And if you do, you'll play again at christmass.
Eh, as much as I loved the changes, I see where relic is coming from, certain axis faction post these changes became so op that it wasn't even funny, but the fun factor of the changes was incredible and many players were charmed by the changes, putting imbalance on 2nd place.
22 Jun 2015, 22:43 PM

We’ve been replying to your comments in the official feedback thread in our forums, and have seen a lot of insightful debate and questions. It’s worth further emphasizing one point that has been coming up quite a bit – the June 23rd update is only our first step in further rolling out what players experienced in our Alpha. While we can understand the desire to get your hands on new changes ‘right away’, the team felt that further testing was needed to ensure we are taking a methodical and measured approach in terms of how we re-balance the game.

• 6 MONTHS OF WAITING
  • TONS OF TIME TO TEST
  • ALREADY TESTED THESE THINGS FOR A MONTH IN THE ALPHA
  • TRYING TO ROLL OUT THE PATCH AS BEING TOO MUCH 2 HANDLE WHEN WE'VE GOTTEN BIG PATCHES BEFORE THAT WERE
  • BADLY NEEDED
  • ROLLING OUT EVERYTHING IN ANOTHER 2-6 MONTH PERIOD IS DRIVING ME CRAZY
  • ANOTHER PATCH OF META SPAMMERINO
  • MAKING IT LOOK LIKE RELIC IS TRYING TO WORK ON THINGS ALREADY FINISHED
  • RELIC PLS
  • I'VE REACHED CAPSLOCK STAGE
22 Jun 2015, 22:49 PM
22 Jun 2015, 22:51 PM
22 Jun 2015, 22:59 PM

22 Jun 2015, 23:03 PM
Patrion 14

They better release those new patches soon.
22 Jun 2015, 23:04 PM
22 Jun 2015, 23:04 PM
Donator 11

The upcoming patch still includes just 50% of all alpha changes :/

@Butcher
dat reaction though
22 Jun 2015, 23:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2015, 23:04 PMSwonVIP
The upcoming patch still includes just 50% of all alpha changes :/

@Butcher
dat reaction though

Not 50%

1/5 = 20%

It's missing 4/5 of the stuff we need. (80%)

Thanks Relic. :foreveralone:
22 Jun 2015, 23:11 PM
22 Jun 2015, 23:18 PM

22 Jun 2015, 23:18 PM

I understand their concern, like Katitof. I agree with him.
However, fun should always come before balance if a given situation makes them oppose. Therefore, putting "balance related data" ahead of the "overwhelmingly positive" response from testers is far more reckless.
22 Jun 2015, 23:23 PM

It would be nice if they at least and estimate of how long until the next patch would be other than the usual "soon".

But we all know that's never gonna happen

23 Jun 2015, 00:45 AM
Donator 22

Relic does this. They slowly lose their population in game, by doing things like this, the increase of losing players in getting rapid. Its okay though,Relic doesn't care if they lose long time supporters of the game.
23 Jun 2015, 01:01 AM
23 Jun 2015, 02:10 AM

Relic does this. They slowly lose their population in game, by doing things like this, the increase of losing players in getting rapid. Its okay though,Relic doesn't care if they lose long time supporters of the game.

Which is exactly why this course of action is far more reckless than releasing all those changes which were so highly received by the testers.
23 Jun 2015, 02:53 AM

I play once a week now.... Thanks smellic
23 Jun 2015, 03:00 AM

Yeah, that post by relic is quite honestly really silly. I see their point of view, but the time they take to test is just way to long....
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 11
unknown 3
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak