Login

russian armor

Sniper

11 May 2015, 04:27 AM

What's our best way to deal with this bastard? M20's come late, and with a gren screen takes something sneaky to deal with them. Not to mention the 222 that'll follow will put you on the back foot.

Captain openings? I suppose you might sacrifice some opening map control, but at least the Stuart could provide a bit of a more durable bridge to battalion tech and give you more a leg to stand on if the m20 isn't going to help much in the early game.

Smoke pushing??
11 May 2015, 04:51 AM

What's our best way to deal with this bastard? M20's come late, and with a gren screen takes something sneaky to deal with them. Not to mention the 222 that'll follow will put you on the back foot.

Captain openings? I suppose you might sacrifice some opening map control, but at least the Stuart could provide a bit of a more durable bridge to battalion tech and give you more a leg to stand on if the m20 isn't going to help much in the early game.

Smoke pushing??

If i go with sniper as OST, the Stuart is the biggest threat, especially if i get a scout car as well because there is a strong chance of loosing both. The other effective option is 4 rifles then into bars. If you can get a flank on the sniper can die quickly. But all this depends entirely on the map and supporting unit compositions.
11 May 2015, 05:08 AM

If i go with sniper as OST, the Stuart is the biggest threat, especially if i get a scout car as well because there is a strong chance of loosing both. The other effective option is 4 rifles then into bars. If you can get a flank on the sniper can die quickly. But all this depends entirely on the map and supporting unit compositions.

considering it takes longer to tech to, how large is the window without an ATG? also, i'll presume the best an opponent could muster would be 1 teller mine.
11 May 2015, 05:36 AM

considering it takes longer to tech to, how large is the window without an ATG? also, i'll presume the best an opponent could muster would be 1 teller mine.

Well, a frontal attack with stuart is not the most effective and chasing a sniper can lead to losing the tank to a teller or faust/ pak combo. Snipers usually operate around a pack, teller or gren to be safe.

The most successful option takes a bit to setup but basically requires you to push on one front with all your rifles spread out so you don't get pinned and basically swarm towards the sniper. Most times when faced with such a dangerous threat the sniper will retreat. The stuart will be then come from another direction and basically meet the sniper in the base. If he retreats everything then hold off and try again.

The other option is try to position a bar squad (Lt) or para with smg in the retreat path when you push towards the sniper with the rest of your rifles. Can be tricky and often futile but your best chance to kill it is on retreat, in my experience.
11 May 2015, 06:06 AM

Well, a frontal attack with stuart is not the most effective and chasing a sniper can lead to losing the tank to a teller or faust/ pak combo. Snipers usually operate around a pack, teller or gren to be safe.

The most successful option takes a bit to setup but basically requires you to push on one front with all your rifles spread out so you don't get pinned and basically swarm towards the sniper. Most times when faced with such a dangerous threat the sniper will retreat. The stuart will be then come from another direction and basically meet the sniper in the base. If he retreats everything then hold off and try again.

The other option is try to position a bar squad (Lt) or para with smg in the retreat path when you push towards the sniper with the rest of your rifles. Can be tricky and often futile but your best chance to kill it is on retreat, in my experience.

Sure this one way to do it, but will not work with someone that can use a sniper by it's full potential.

Before the sniper was buffed I got some insane games with atleast 80 kills. But I surely had to babysit it. After the buff I also use them but now I give my other troops some more attention. Also I don't retreat it right away, but I will just hold fire, move into cover and retreat to the base in cover. Not gonna lose my sniper to a m20 or stuart.

But the biggest part of me when losing my sniper is the somewhat lesser attention thst I give it. Just get the focus of the sniperuser to something other important and then strike! Probably more effective.
11 May 2015, 06:27 AM

Sure this one way to do it, but will not work with someone that can use a sniper by it's full potential.

Before the sniper was buffed I got some insane games with atleast 80 kills. But I surely had to babysit it. After the buff I also use them but now I give my other troops some more attention. Also I don't retreat it right away, but I will just hold fire, move into cover and retreat to the base in cover. Not gonna lose my sniper to a m20 or stuart.

But the biggest part of me when losing my sniper is the somewhat lesser attention thst I give it. Just get the focus of the sniperuser to something other important and then strike! Probably more effective.

True, most times when i loose a sniper I have no idea how he dies. Usually it is a missclick during some big push by opponent. I think that i have repositioned him only to see him charging into battle with the grens.

As far as not retreating goes, that is a fault on my opponents end. It is costly to make a sniper retreat sometimes but usually not that hard it you have enough squads in the area.
11 May 2015, 07:48 AM

True, most times when i loose a sniper I have no idea how he dies. Usually it is a missclick during some big push by opponent. I think that i have repositioned him only to see him charging into battle with the grens.

As far as not retreating goes, that is a fault on my opponents end. It is costly to make a sniper retreat sometimes but usually not that hard it you have enough squads in the area.

True! Mostly of the time just hold fire and soft retreat is enough. Cloaks fast enough
11 May 2015, 13:52 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Use 4x rifle >nades>LT >M20 to creep forwards using a wall of smoke,then use M20 and LT to dominate flanks while you slowly push the sniper. Even if you don't kill he's forced to move back and give ground.

If That doesn't work,2 or 3 rear echelons+ 2 rifles into M20 is good as well.
11 May 2015, 14:35 PM

Use 4x rifle >nades>LT >M20 to creep forwards using a wall of smoke,then use M20 and LT to dominate flanks while you slowly push the sniper. Even if you don't kill he's forced to move back and give ground.

Pushing it back is always a way to relieve your manpower drain, but probably won't result into a permanent disclosure of the sniper.
11 May 2015, 15:53 PM

i thought about this a little longer this morning. i wonder if even getting another squad, either an RE or probably a rifleman, and taking a bit longer in the tiers, probably Lt. + M15 would actually work. it would help maintain map presence, say screw it and just try to overwhelm their front. i just wonder if the upkeep would be too high.
11 May 2015, 16:36 PM

get a counter snip.. wait.. wat?
11 May 2015, 17:12 PM

12 May 2015, 00:21 AM

After thinking on this, i like the idea of using smoke to push forward. As everyone knows USF has to keep the pressure up to OST and delay his teching. Many people fail against a sniper because they push too hard too early. I think spamming smoke allows you to push his resource points, even if you only decap and then move onto the next one while your rear echelon caps the flanks and behind you.

Then tech to the flak to force him into getting pack, or m20 for flanks and defensive mines. Alternatively, if you can confine your opponent by using heavy smoke, a quick sherman can be a real pain to deal with if USF player doesn't go full retard. Sometimes just forget about trying to kill sniper.

Maps also play a huge part, even the starting position can dictate a snipers effectiveness. Sometimes it is smarter to just play the hiding game and stay out of the open, then a sniper really loses it effectiveness...
12 May 2015, 03:45 AM

Just came out of two games. One on La Glize where I got absolutely steam rolled, in part due to a clunkly double pio opening that usually relied on an MG, but it was a lot harder to find firing lanes. The other was on Eindhoven where I tuned things up. In the latter my sniper really got going and found some fine form. I hardly had to even micro him after my 222 arrived. It was a field day he basically Michael Jackson moon walked his way to 34 kills.

So, currently I definitely echo the sentiment that it can be pretty map dependent.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★