Login

russian armor

Stug E and Target Weak Point

4 May 2015, 19:11 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Could not disagree more. Lt/Cpt builds to call-ins work like a charm with Armour or Rifle company, as does ie. Cpt into Major with Inf. I rarely go for a Stuart as I think it delays Major tech/call-ins for too long and is generally cost-inefficient, but 57 and Pak Howitzer are very viable units and give you staying/attrition power that you otherwise do not get.

If $200 is on the line,You're better off just rushing a Sherman if you can every single time. Side teching is never better than skipping a tier.
I like LT Captain builds too...Matter of fact that's usually what I do nowadays simply because I like trying stuff that's different.

But in a tournament game you won't see me double officer teching anymore.. It gets you nowhere. You need all the cheese and tier skipping you can get.

@ace
going airborne and dropping the ATG assumes you do the brainless LT M20 fast Sherman,so
4 May 2015, 19:21 PM

For all to see I have gone and found values to dispel this idea of TWP not working against mediums and heavies.

I went and found common tanks and their armors to determine what chance the twp works.
4 May 2015, 19:23 PM

Yes it can deter, and if its in the right spot. YOu do realize at 6cp is when the Ostheer players hit critical mass of lmg grens and can now cost effectively trade with rifles and wipe the floor with anything else that isnt a shock or Guards squad. At this mid stage of the game is when the tables turn on the Allies and is why so many people even at the high level die to a double stug E base rape. A pivotal moment in the game pushed way over the edge by double stug E's, and just having a single one really puts the allies player on the back foot.

The stug E is an assault gun, but by having two Zis on the field you have dumped quite a bit into just detering it which means your position can get overrun. This is when the Stug E plays clean up or counter harrass devestating any units no longer covered by the AT gun. My point above was that an AT gun is not the end all which means the Stug E can easily continue reaping the manpower bleed unless they throw it away carelessly. The dual nature of its vet ability keeps it in game even longer even when other thanks are out.

And this closes it, this is exactly why the stug-E isn't overperforming outside the fact that it's a call in, but all call-ins are overperforming.

What do I mean with this? That ost needs to hang on and defend itself for the first 8-15 min of the game depending how well the allied players played and his overall skill compared to the ost player at this stage of the game the tables briefly turns were the allies need to go on the defensive for about 3-5 minutes still their first tank arrive, that's why I don't see anything wrong with it, playing ost is really fucking depressing by the sheer amount of pressure you are put under and you simply can't do anything about it, I don't see why allies should be able to freely rape ost still a tiger comes out, which at the moment isn't even that big of a deal with the current mark target/t34/85s - is2 meta and the "fixed" jacksons, that's why I find the stug-e to be fine and fair as much as other stuff is.

@ace
going airborne and dropping the ATG assumes you do the brainless LT M20 fast Sherman,so

I didn't say it wasn't the best way to play, like I mentioned I do that too almost always, why? Because that's how it works, unfortunately coh2 isn't a game where variety is welcome simply because it doesn't work, but that doesn't make conspam or riflespam into a basically uncounterable m20 into shermans that come out for much faster than p4s ever would if they were the meta any less of a braindead play than it is in reaility, perhaps this is not the best way to express it and Im sorry if it isn't, but I really feel like a retard while playing allies and feel like I have a thousand of things to manouver as ost between mortars,mgs, and super frail paks and grens, where if something goes wrong once it's game over if your opponent recognizes your mistake and seals the deal.
4 May 2015, 19:38 PM
Patrion 28

the stug (both but particularly the E) absolutely wreck USF until they get out jacksons. against the E you don't need a jackson. if you went LT you can even force them off with some careful flaktrack play although it's pretty risky.

whatever you do don't try and use bazookas against it though.
5 May 2015, 14:11 PM

When I played USF during these tournament games I tried to not play like a "retard brain dead nfantry spammer" by Getting a captain,Stuart,AT guns,you name it against STUG E on top of an LT.

it didn't matter at all. Infact looking back I think I threw the games by going captain.

The captain tier and 57mil are liabilities in high level play. You're forced to do this brain dead major Sherman rush or M10s because nothing else stands up to the stooge.

Soviets I'd say should have 0 problems VS STUG E if they simply tech T2 and AT Nades,on top of their conspam

I watched your game vs vonivan and I think your micro mistakes cost you that game as opposed to your lt - captain tech choice. Lost a couple ambulances quite easy, walked an at gun into infantry, didn't really have your captain on hand to support vs the stugge. I do agree that straight major would have been better for you that game though (you had the fuel advantage and the sherman wouldn't have been much later then stug and you could have played around it for long enough).

I'm not having a go at you by the way, you're obviously a very good player to give vonivan a run for his money and we all make micro mistakes.
5 May 2015, 15:23 PM

lol this thread, Stugie TWP even failed to work on a T34/76.

I edited the OP, please read how wrong you are
5 May 2015, 15:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2015, 13:25 PMBurts
Pretty much any decent player that plays 1v1 agrees that the STUG E is brokenly OP.

Now, you could nerf the rate of fire or accuracy of the thing, but my preffered way would be to change its fire mode to arced fire like that of the brumbaar/bulldozer. While giving it the bunker busting barrage of the brumbaar at vet 1.

It might still need a nerf after such changes, but we will see

To be honest I dont see how this would solve any of the wiping, its not like players are successfully dodging bulldozer rounds. However the barrage would get rid of TWP which I would be ecstatic for
5 May 2015, 15:36 PM

To be honest I dont see how this would solve any of the wiping, its not like players are successfully dodging bulldozer rounds. However the barrage would get rid of TWP which I would be ecstatic for

Much slower shell travel times help a lot. Sure, shells still hit, but against moving infantry they have to scatter in the direction of movement to land properly.

Retreating squads, especially, given they sprint. Any Scott shells that go high will miss by a mile where level would have hit, or arced may have clipped them
5 May 2015, 16:16 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2015, 14:11 PMsamich

I watched your game vs vonivan and I think your micro mistakes cost you that game as opposed to your lt - captain tech choice. Lost a couple ambulances quite easy, walked an at gun into infantry, didn't really have your captain on hand to support vs the stugge. I do agree that straight major would have been better for you that game though (you had the fuel advantage and the sherman wouldn't have been much later then stug and you could have played around it for long enough).

I'm not having a go at you by the way, you're obviously a very good player to give vonivan a run for his money and we all make micro mistakes.

Captain won't scare STUG E because he does that stupid dance and then bunches up. Which is a free double zook drop.

And you're not getting a clean flank on it with a non vet 3 sprint captain vs vonivan,Kappa

I would've had a 10 min or earlier Sherman and 5-6 rifle squads with forward reinforce vs a STUG E,ass grens, and pak,on STALINGRAD...basically GG.
if I had just went straight to major.

Instead I basically give him a huge resource favor by dropping 570 mp 80 fuel into captain bunch up and ATG that takes some serious patience and calm demeanor to micro on a map like Stalingrad with all those assgrens instead of just finishing it with a quick tonk.

RAISE YOUR STOOGES \OpieOP/

5 May 2015, 16:38 PM

Not only what Cookiez said, the Stug E generally doensnt care about running into a captain unless he is in a building. in order to just scare off a Stug E you have to have a captain and something else. In the AT gun way thats the standard counter, but as I said earlier at 6 CP's OStheer really shoves back and a lot of players suffer without a light vehicles. TWP will ruin that counter
6 May 2015, 09:01 AM

Captain won't...

As I say, I agree that the sherman would have been the better choice and that you may well have been able to close out the game with it.

I disagree that your teching choice cost you the game though, I think with the units you had at the point you hit captain you could have still closed the game had you played it differently.

Yes, captain bunches up when firing his bazooka making him a walking disaster vs the stug-e but there are plenty of buildings on stalingrad that could be used to keep the stug away, particularly when coupled with your AT gun.

Plus, you could have dodged major tier all together and just floated to 9cp and grabbed an easy8 as soon as it became available (to be honest I don't see the point of going lt-captain unless you plan to do this with either armour or rifle companies)

On the subject of the OP: I agree that TWP is a strange vet ability of the stug-e but I kinda think the stug-e is only OP because of the cover bunching nonsense and the fact that its a call-in tank in a call-in world.
6 May 2015, 09:08 AM

Permanently Banned
Stug E is a lot like a guard squad. Kills half the squad in the first volley.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★