Login

russian armor

1941 Factions

20 Apr 2015, 09:42 AM

I have some free time so I decided I could make a draft of 1941 Factions using in-game items. This is for Eastern Front only.

Ostheer:

Would have liked to rename Grenadiers and Panzergrenadiers to their pre-1942 names but the voice files don't allow it and I'm trying to stick to what is currently in game.

T0: MG34 Bunker

T1:

Grenadiers: Model 24 Frag Grenades instead of Rifle Grenades (that was 1942), x2 Panzerbüsche upgrade for 50 munitions. Effective against the vehicles of the era and not so bad against infantry at long range either. 5 man squad at 280 MP, representing the higher manpower of 1941's Wehrmacht. AT Rifle Grenades provide snares. Upgrade requires BP2. Can't use AT rifle grenades if the squad has nobody with Kar98k alive.

MG34 Team: The current MG34 team with MG42 stats minus fire rate.

Sniper: Rifle simply renamed to G41 in descriptions.

Grw34 81mm Mortar Team: Same as before.

T2:

Panzergrenadiers: Elite 4 man squad armed with Kar98k rifles, highly effective at long range. They may upgrade to either 4 MP40s or a single LMG34, which can be fired on the move by Panzergrenadiers only. The MP40s have amazing close combat performance and can be stowed away with the squad taking their Kar98k again, though this has a cooldown and it takes time. 400 MP. LMG34 upgrade requires BP3.

221 Scout Car: The same old thing.

37mm Pak 36: A light and cheap AT gun that is highly mobile. Has a great fire rate and can use the Shell Shock ability at Vet 1. Uses the M-42 AT Gun model as they're basically the same in looks.

251 Halftrack: The same old thing.

T3:

Panzer II Luchs: The same little thing OKW has.

StuG E: All too familiar with it.

Panzer IV Ausf F1: Snubnosed Panzer IV which can switch between HE and HEAT shells. Basically USF's Sherman in performance with the HE gun. HEAT has reduced range and projectile speed.

Stuka zu Fuss: Mighty Wurfhammen 40 artillery, now available for Wehrmacht.

T4:

Does not exist.

Doctrinal Stuff:

- Stormtroopers get MP40s instead of STG-44s as an upgrade, but these have the exact same stats being medium range weapons.

- Elefant becomes Opel Blitz Truck.

- Tiger becomes Stuka Smoke Pot.

- Riegel Mine becomes PzIV Command Tank.

- StuG E becomes Stuka Dive Bomb.

- Stuka CAS is replaced by Model 24 Smoke Grenades, giving Smoke Grenades to Grenadiers and Panzergrenadiers at CP2.

- Stuka single AT strafe is replaced by Fragmentation Bombs.

- Ostruppen Reserves spawn with MP40s or Panzerbüsches, with no chance for an MG42 (or 34)

- Puma is replaced by Fragmentation Bombs.

- Mechanized Assault Group (LMG42 Grenadiers) spawns with LMG34 Grenadiers instead. Since Grens don't actually get LMG34 here, this makes the ability more unique.

- G43 rifles simply get renamed to G41.

- Pak43 -> Relief Infantry

(tell me if I missed anything)

Soviets:

T0:

Conscript Infantry Squad: 2x PTRS upgrade with AT Grenade upgrade, 3x PPSh upgrade with Molotov upgrade. Mutually exclusive and PTRS is only effective against vehicles in this setting.

Engineers

T1:

Guards Rifle Infantry: SVT-40s, take the current Riflemen squad from USF and add a man. Since 6/5 is a smaller ratio than 5/4 (Grens are now 5 man you know), they won't overpower them that much. Anyway:

Upgrades:

- DP-28 Reserves: Each Guards squad spawns with a single DP-28

T2:

Maxim
Scout Snipers
Mortar

T3:

T-60 (T-70)
ZiS-3
ZiS-6 Truck

T4:

T-34/76
Katyusha
20 Apr 2015, 09:51 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Pretty neat idea although I don't really like the idea of being able to change the role of a squad midgame as you proposed it for PGrens. I would make them decide... Either they go for close or for long range.
20 Apr 2015, 10:19 AM

Pretty neat idea although I don't really like the idea of being able to change the role of a squad midgame as you proposed it for PGrens. I would make them decide... Either they go for close or for long range.

Well you know how that worked out for Airborne... In return for not having Tactical Assault, Panzergrenadiers would maintain a good level of long range performance; without the pure long range power of an LMG42.

There's still a choice involved.

It is still an alternative to give the MP40s STG44 stats, slap Tactical Assault on Panzergrenadiers with that ability active and call it a day.
20 Apr 2015, 10:32 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Well you know how that worked out for Airborne... In return for not having Tactical Assault, Panzergrenadiers would maintain a good level of long range performance; without the pure long range power of an LMG42.

There's still a choice involved.

It is still an alternative to give the MP40s STG44 stats, slap Tactical Assault on Panzergrenadiers with that ability active and call it a day.

Well if you make the choices more rewarding (considering you either get an pretty good damage output on long range OR at short ranges) by giving them an "Assault package" (MP40 with Tactical Assault) and a "Support Package" (LMG34 with some other ability maybe a defensive bonus?) you won't have the airborne dilemma I think ^^

20 Apr 2015, 10:37 AM

Well if you make the choices more rewarding (considering you either get an pretty good damage output on long range OR at short ranges) by giving them an "Assault package" (MP40 with Tactical Assault) and a "Support Package" (LMG34 with some other ability maybe a defensive bonus?) you won't have the airborne dilemma I think ^^

Well, what would Stormtroopers do then?

The problem is, as made evident by Paras, long range power is far easier to use and far more stackable than close range power, and as such people pick the former most of the time. The MP40s would need be pretty dang good if they are to compete with LMG34.
20 Apr 2015, 10:40 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

The problem is, as made evident by Paras, long range power is far easier to use and far more stackable than close range power, and as such people pick the former most of the time. The MP40s would need be pretty dang good if they are to compete with LMG34.

Why not give the Stormtroopers a little bit of armor so it is more appealing to go into CQC (as made evident by shocks). Personally I like mixing my squads with long and shortrange capabilities :)
20 Apr 2015, 11:07 AM

Why not give the Stormtroopers a little bit of armor so it is more appealing to go into CQC (as made evident by shocks). Personally I like mixing my squads with long and shortrange capabilities :)

They already have 0.75 rec acc modifier.
If you want to give them armor, you'd have to strip that first.

Moreover, there basically was a single unit in ww2 that actually used body armor, which are soviet assault engineers aka shock troops.
20 Apr 2015, 11:13 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2015, 11:07 AMKatitof

They already have 0.75 rec acc modifier.
If you want to give them armor, you'd have to strip that first.

That's something you should test because that is pretty hard to discuss based solely on the stats itself but I pretty much expect that the value must be changed if they get any armor.

Moreover, there basically was a single unit in ww2 that actually used body armor, which are soviet assault engineers aka shock troops.

If this mod should be realistic than you are right. If it sticks to realism but not completly, armor wouldn't be that bad for the purpoe of creating a CQC-squad.
20 Apr 2015, 12:14 PM
Donator 33

Axis forces would get owned by OP soviets in 1941, with their KV-1,KV-2, T-28´s and the T34 and BT-7 spam, how would you balance the game around them?

20 Apr 2015, 12:28 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2015, 12:14 PMATCF
Axis forces would get owned by OP soviets in 1941, with their KV-1,KV-2, T-28´s and the T34 and BT-7 spam, how would you balance the game around them?

Pak38 and HEAT
20 Apr 2015, 12:43 PM

Pak38 and HEAT

Short range, highly inaccurate and loaded from the front of the barrel oversized rifle nade.
Yea... no.
20 Apr 2015, 12:53 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2015, 12:43 PMKatitof

Short range, highly inaccurate and loaded from the front of the barrel oversized rifle nade.
Yea... no.

Wut?

I mean the PIV HEAT
20 Apr 2015, 12:58 PM

Wut?

I mean the PIV HEAT

And I meant PaK38 AT gun Stiel-Granate 42 which was the HEAT for the gun at the time, which was a killer for armor, but sucked at everything else(accuracy, range, loading).
20 Apr 2015, 13:00 PM

1941 work around is interesting...why not just create own units in a mod for this rather than messing around with existing units? Furthermore why not just play the ToW lol :)
20 Apr 2015, 13:22 PM

I would prefer if coh2 had a 1941 and a 1942 mode. Sadly, it'll never come.

The core German tank will be Panzer III and Panzer 38T.

The core Soviet tank with be BT-7 and T-26. (yes, KV and T-34 tanks were rare minority until Moscow)
20 Apr 2015, 13:26 PM

I know the Amis didn't fought in '41, but I think they could get an early war faction as well.

Btw; if you need testing I'm willing to help! :)
nee
20 Apr 2015, 13:34 PM

Ostheer is designed around 1943, it is therefore impossible to just "tweak" it to 1941 conventions without major revisions (re no longer a tweak but an overhaul).

More importantly, a 1941 variant of Ostheer would make it offensive oriented which is the complete opposite of how it's designed to be. Your idea of replacing 1943 materials with pretty much anything else (replacing a heavy tank with smoke pots? lol) that would still exist in 1941 is frankly just trying to fill gaps with anything rather than what's appropriate.

Just admit that you're really just trying to do a 1941 mod incorporating your own ideas. Otherwise you'd just have Grenadiers have LMG34, and Panzergrenadiers with the AT Rifles. You know, exactly how they did in Theatre of War scenarios.

And of course the prevalence of 1943 units in both doctrinal and core unit roster makes the endeavour impossible to begin with, especially since you're limiting yourself to the 1943 era-specific roster of existing units. The only thing in 1941 that had 88mm firepower was an anti-aircraft emplacement.
20 Apr 2015, 13:36 PM

I know the Amis didn't fought in '41, but I think they could get an early war faction as well.

Btw; if you need testing I'm willing to help! :)

Desert rats would be early forces as british used american M3 Lees and Stuarts.
jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2015, 13:34 PMnee
Ostheer is designed around 1943, it is therefore impossible to just "tweak" it to 1941 conventions without major revisions (re no longer a tweak but an overhaul).

You never really played ToW, did you?
There is a whole tech structure made for 1941 already present in game together with at least 3 doctrines balanced around that specific time period.
20 Apr 2015, 14:05 PM

Once we did inside 4v4 game without "heavy units"

Only Stugs, PzIV, T34/76, KV1, stock Sherman and everything lighter like Puma and Stuart were allowed. Gardening amazing game it was.

No need for deep changes. Just erase late-game units and it's done.
It could also revive a lot of useless commanders, since you cannot use Tiger, IS or anything like that.
20 Apr 2015, 14:07 PM

I would prefer if coh2 had a 1941 and a 1942 mode. Sadly, it'll never come.

The core German tank will be Panzer III and Panzer 38T.

The core Soviet tank with be BT-7 and T-26. (yes, KV and T-34 tanks were rare minority until Moscow)

Not so rare, it was about 508 KV and 967 T-34 build before war (Panzer 38T - 1,414 tanks). In first half year of 1941, with cancelling production of T-26 and BT series, was produced about 393 KV tanks and 1110 Т-34.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 127
unknown 31
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak