Login

russian armor

Penal Demo Charges timer too short.

Joe
24 May 2013, 06:42 AM

Right now the demo charges are set for 3 seconds, which is 2.5 seconds by the time they hit the ground. This barely gives a squad or a vehicle enough time to get out of the way. Add to this some pathing issues and I've actually seen a penal squad blow themselves up (which was kinda cool), but I don't think the purpose of the demos should be as super powerful grenades. I would think they should be vs buildings like vcoh with a 5 second timer.
24 May 2013, 16:00 PM

They are good but I've wasted so many on half tracks which just scarper away and then repair up... Not much radius of damage but a lot if you sit on top, kinda unlike vcoh satchels. I think it's nothing compared too my main problem.

Has anyone noticed how easy it is to bank a flamer+half track after conscript spam? Seems like a very typical strategy for players and if played quick and right can be unbeatable unless wehr has lucky pak or jaegers. New players are gonna get very frustrated quickly with this spam tactics as its hard to counter. Draws the game away from some great infantry combat aswel which I really enjoy at the start of a game. Don't know if anyone else has a problem with it but it just really bores me to see it. I usually end up saying not another one of these again!!! This has the potential to spoil so many people's enjoyment of the game.
Joe
24 May 2013, 21:19 PM

TLDR: Satchel Charges should have 5 second timer.
29 May 2013, 00:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2013, 06:42 AMJoe
Right now the demo charges are set for 3 seconds, which is 2.5 seconds by the time they hit the ground. This barely gives a squad or a vehicle enough time to get out of the way. Add to this some pathing issues and I've actually seen a penal squad blow themselves up (which was kinda cool), but I don't think the purpose of the demos should be as super powerful grenades. I would think they should be vs buildings like vcoh with a 5 second timer.

I agree that satchel charges need to be reworked.
8 Jun 2013, 17:06 PM

agreed and insta wiped many squads with it, but if it was nerfed to be just a bunker buster/make shift anti tank, then they would need some anti infantry abilities to compensate.

PG nades does almost the same for on a 1 sec timer and has a longer throw range. beefed up rifle grenades now detonate on impact, does very good damage and has a very long throw range.
8 Jun 2013, 18:20 PM

penal battaglion needs to be reworked to find a specific role and a stronger place in russian build.
18 Jun 2013, 00:26 AM
Donator 11

I don't agree. Penals running at you should be a dead give away.
18 Jun 2013, 00:36 AM

if i'm right, Penis Battalion is equipped with SVT-40 which is good in close range? (just like CoH1 rifles) and Satchel charge timer should be changed to 4 seconds at least and damage reduced and cost maybe, because it's OP now as general Hell
18 Jun 2013, 00:38 AM
Donator 11

if i'm right, Penis Battalion is equipped with SVT-40 which is good in close range? (just like CoH1 rifles) and Satchel charge timer should be changed to 4 seconds at least and damage reduced and cost maybe, because it's OP now as general Hell

I really don't see the Satchel in its current form as an issue. The only issue I have with Penals is their insane AV damage against halftracks and scout cars using only their rifles.
18 Jun 2013, 00:45 AM

Permanently Banned
Its a pretty enormous and powerful explosive.

If you don't move intime it WILL wipe whatever infantry it lands on.
18 Jun 2013, 00:51 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jun 2013, 00:45 AMNullist
Its a pretty enormous and powerful explosive.

If you don't move intime it WILL wipe whatever infantry it lands on.

With a throw range so low that you might aswell throw down your pants and do kissyfaces for letting them get that close.
18 Jun 2013, 00:56 AM

Permanently Banned
Problem for support teams.
18 Jun 2013, 00:57 AM
Donator 11

MG-42 is a Suppression Weapon. Pointed right the Penals don't get close, pointed wrong you need to retreat or adjust.

Mortars are support weapons that shoot at a high angle, you should not have them anywhere near the fight.
18 Jun 2013, 01:05 AM

Permanently Banned
Those are irrelevant conditionals.

Perhaps a increased cast timer instead.
18 Jun 2013, 01:12 AM
Donator 11

Irrelevant conditions rooted in player skill, micro-management and situational awareness.

I have, thus far, lost perhaps 5 squads total to Demo Charges. That's in 300 hours of gameplay. Either I am doing something wrong, or you are.
18 Jun 2013, 01:59 AM

The only problem I see with demo charges is that they seem pretty hit-or-miss. They actually have a much larger explosion radius than you'd expect and they deal so much damage than anything that is actually hit by it dies. This is ok, after all it has a long timer that allows for retreating everything but weapon crews or grenaded vehicles.
However, everything within 2.5 units is dust by default whereas everything up to 5 units radius has a ~60% chance of dying (0.25*340 is still a lot). This ring of randomness makes them a bit too unpredictable and complicates judgement about which units to move/retreat.

But most of the other grenades also have this problem. I'd really like it if all those AoE attacks became less random.
18 Jun 2013, 02:00 AM

Penal satchel charges need a increased timer of 4-5 secs. The range of the throw must be increased.

Penal squads are overall the most useless unit in the whole Russian tech tree imo. They need a slightly cheaper base cost 300MP or a faster build time. Either you only get 1 Penal squad in the early game or you use them to fill lost squads in the late game. They are effectively useless though for early game usage due to MP/time constraints.

They are a decent unit and have respectable small arms fire, evevn without the flamer upgrade.
18 Jun 2013, 02:06 AM

Penal satchel charges need a increased timer of 4-5 secs. The range of the throw must be increased.

Penal squads are overall the most useless unit in the whole Russian tech tree imo. They need a slightly cheaper base cost 300MP or a faster build time. Either you only get 1 Penal squad in the early game or you use them to fill lost squads in the late game. They are effectively useless though for early game usage due to MP/time constraints.

They are a decent unit and have respectable small arms fire, evevn without the flamer upgrade.

Don't their rifles make them an interesting soft counter for light vehicles? Just in case someone doesn't go guards...

Faster build time would be great, russian buildings takes ages to complete as it is.
18 Jun 2013, 02:18 AM

Don't know about that I'll have to test that out. In my experience though it is not the vehicles that are an issue its just an extended t1 to t3 is impossible to stop even if you go for 2 conscripts then 1-2 penals. SC with Guard Rifles beats all light vehicles anyway.

By the time you get your 4 infantry squads out you will simply be overrun by 6-7 German units.
18 Jun 2013, 05:28 AM

better than cons, worse than both guards and shocks, why are they 360 mp?? i think 300 would be a good mid way.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★