Login

russian armor

USF Pack Howitzer

21 Mar 2015, 03:11 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Mar 2015, 13:10 PMNEVEC

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Thats about your pack howitzer.

That's probably because I am the only person trying to make it work.

21 Mar 2015, 03:28 AM
Benefactor 115

In alpha the Pack Howitzer and the .50 machine gun were swapped and it made perfect sense. Lt. tier already has suppression from the M15 AA half-track. The change makes absolutely no sense.

actually the M15AA and the pack howitzer were swapped.

LT: 50 cal, pack howi, M20
CPT: ATG, Stuart, M15AA
21 Mar 2015, 03:39 AM

The pack howie used to be great. I remember games of Lienne forest with Pathfinders by center VP and multiple pack howies just behind train station wiping anything that got close, including one surprised PIV tank. I've seen What Doth use them okay but 480 mp for something that I have to work really hard to make useful doesn't seem all that great. The standard Ost mortar does seems like it performs twice as good for half the price, which is "symmetrical balance" if you're an Axis fan.
21 Mar 2015, 03:40 AM
Patrion 27

actually the M15AA and the pack howitzer were swapped.

LT: 50 cal, pack howi, M20
CPT: ATG, Stuart, M15AA

D'oh. Been a while, thanks Ipkai. I think swapping the .50 cal and pack howi would be more than enough to make it viable now that it doesn't die to two shrek shots since the bug patch. 40 mp is really not that bad to reinforce it for the amount of damage it can do at vet 2.

How the...what the...

But the Quick Sherman cannot coexist with the Captain!

I really dont get how you can make your Howi actually kill anything. Mine never does. It just dies..and bleed me upkeep...

Here's the replay Jason:

I am obviously a masochist for making a Stuart and I really should have just rushed an M15 AA to win this game within ten minutes but I just wanted to have some fun.

21 Mar 2015, 03:48 AM
Patrion 14

pak howi lost. recrewed with rear echelons.

reinforce cost, 40 mp... thanks relic
21 Mar 2015, 04:01 AM
Developer Relic Badge

The pack howitzer costs so much to reinforce because it's the only weapon team that doesn't have a .5 reinforce modifier for some odd reason.
21 Mar 2015, 04:09 AM

Permanently Banned
Pack howitzer may be shit in a lot of areas, but AOE weapons in general do a lot more damage vs german squads. So atleast it actually has some utility.
21 Mar 2015, 04:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Mar 2015, 21:05 PMVuther

You can't rush Easy8 call-ins.

Well I guess you could by throwing your troops at the enemy constantly so you can boost the CP gain with non-stop fighting...but either way you'd probably have enough fuel for an E8 in addition to the Captain if you got an even share of the map by the time you had enough CP.

(If that was a joke, I'm afraid I didn't find it very funny)

Easy 8 arrives too late and is far to Mediocre at its job. I like the Standard Sherman better. Its job? Kill Infantry and Spot. Does it Well

Easy 8? Kill tanks sorta...does it sorta....also sorta kills infantry...sorta...

I rush Shermans I wouldnt even want to rush Easy 8s. Thats almost as bad as trying to Rush a Jackson...almost...
21 Mar 2015, 05:03 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Easy 8 arrives too late and is far to Mediocre at its job. I like the Standard Sherman better. Its job? Kill Infantry and Spot. Does it Well

Easy 8? Kill tanks sorta...does it sorta....also sorta kills infantry...sorta...

I rush Shermans I wouldnt even want to rush Easy 8s. Thats almost as bad as trying to Rush a Jackson...almost...

But the screenshot you quoted showed Easy Eights and no base Shermans.
21 Mar 2015, 05:25 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Mar 2015, 05:03 AMVuther

But the screenshot you quoted showed Easy Eights and no base Shermans.

Yeah, but the build was b.a.d. I was pretty clueless about the proper order of things with that commander.

If you are making a Pack Howitzer "rushing" armour is counter-productive to begin with.
21 Mar 2015, 06:28 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yeah, but the build was b.a.d. I was pretty clueless about the proper order of things with that commander.

If you are making a Pack Howitzer "rushing" armour is counter-productive to begin with.

Ok, my bit can stop now, I figured out what JH meant now.
24 Mar 2015, 06:26 AM

A lower,almost instant cooldown on the barrage would go a long way.

agree. the barrage sucks and needs a buff. The AOE could be a bit bigger on the explosions too (not much, just a hair)
24 Mar 2015, 15:06 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post24 Mar 2015, 06:26 AMakula

agree. the barrage sucks and needs a buff. The AOE could be a bit bigger on the explosions too (not much, just a hair)

The AOE is fine, you think one shots should be more prevalent? The only thing a unit like this deserves is a cost decrease, and a range increase or fire rate increase. Anything above 4 AOE nowadays is pretty good one shot material.
24 Mar 2015, 20:22 PM
Donator 11

Too expensive. MP is needed to reinforce rifles to keep up the pressure.

24 Mar 2015, 20:43 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The AOE is fine, you think one shots should be more prevalent? The only thing a unit like this deserves is a cost decrease, and a range increase or fire rate increase. Anything above 4 AOE nowadays is pretty good one shot material.

It needs an accuracy increase at far-range long before it'll need a range increase. I've never seen it hit anything at max range.
26 Mar 2015, 16:25 PM

Rather get a m8 scott, less upkeep/mobile.
26 Mar 2015, 17:52 PM

Scott is indeed the good version of the pack howie.

Even the LeIG is better, and that's both A) Cheaper and B) Trash.

The 120mm just puts the both of them to utter shame.
26 Mar 2015, 18:43 PM

Scott is indeed the good version of the pack howie.

Even the LeIG is better, and that's both A) Cheaper and B) Trash.

The 120mm just puts the both of them to utter shame.

The LeIG is the exact same price, and is worse.
26 Mar 2015, 19:08 PM
Patrion 14

LeIG can repeat the barrage as soon as it stops firing the previous one, which is great...

... except the barrages completely and utterly suck.

This is the main offender of these weapons, I feel. The barrages are supposed to make these weapons operate at ranges far longer than mortars, and thus differentiate them and give them a clear role and justify the price. However these very same barrages are SO GODDAMN INACCURATE, at full range the scatter is like a football field away. I don't remember I ever hit something that was not a broad side of the barn.

On the other hand, keeping your pack howie or LeIG a bit behind your MG/ defensive line will net you a decent trickle of accurate infantry kills and vet them up relatively fast.

I feel the barrages should be made more accurate and, in the case of Pack Howie, fire off more shells in succession. Then these weapons might approach justifying their price point and tier placement.
26 Mar 2015, 19:54 PM

The LeIG is the exact same price, and is worse.

Longer autofire range, much faster barrage cooldown, better RoF, better accuracy at all ranges.

The LeIG is substantially better, but only because the Pack Howitzer is completely useless.

The only reason I ever take them these days is if I recrew a stolen one and leave the squad at minimum size, for the pack or the LeIG.

IIRC the LeIG was 20/40MP cheaper, but it's been so long since I built one I could well just be wrong about that. They're both trash, is the point, and both substantially worse than the universally cheaper 120mm mortar
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★