Login

russian armor

Xbox One Reveal

23 May 2013, 15:26 PM

The real fucking jokes for me are the guys speaking. I would't trust people looking like accountants speaking about any kind of entertainments.
Look how they are dressed and how they speak about it.

I don't want ot bring any drama about Apple and shit. But do you guys remember about the first iPod, the first and second iMac, the first iPhone and even the first iPad presentations ? Thas was stoning in all aspects.. staging, speech and crowd reaction.

23 May 2013, 16:02 PM

personally? I want the fat, acne-infested, carpal tunnel inflicted dude to tell me how great it is. I trust him.

23 May 2013, 17:56 PM

You guys will not believe this...

Ready?

The new Kinect will detect how many people are watching a movie, and ask if you to buy more user-licenses if it is too many.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider.
The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.

23 May 2013, 17:59 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2013, 17:56 PMWoggie

Ready?

The new Kinect will detect how many people are watching a movie, and ask if you to buy more user-licenses if it is too many.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider.
The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.

I don't even know what to say about this.. :o

Microsoft have completly lost it now. Boycot the new Xbox!
23 May 2013, 18:06 PM

Also, some definitive news on the CoD engine debate: They lied before, during the conference. its not a new engine, but an 'upgraded' one.

vg247.com/2013/05/23/call-of-duty-ghosts-not-a-new-engine-but-is-upgraded-says-dev/

New Call of Duty already confirmed for rehash.
Mark my words, 5-hour campaign, 4 DLC packs 15$ each, will release for current consoles and next-gen ones. Will be just as shitty as previous CoD games.
23 May 2013, 18:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge

i thought it might be hard for xbox to fuck up as bad as ps4 but nope they did even worse.
23 May 2013, 18:30 PM

Aaaand more bad PR for Microsoft then.

I have no idea if they have anything they could do to antagonize customers further. The only thing I can think of would be to announce that the only power source the Xbone runs on would be the tears of orphaned children.
24 May 2013, 01:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2013, 18:30 PMNaeras
Aaaand more bad PR for Microsoft then.

I have no idea if they have anything they could do to antagonize customers further. The only thing I can think of would be to announce that the only power source the Xbone runs on would be the tears of orphaned children.

Well actually, it runs on the tears of tortured kittens, so were ok.
24 May 2013, 08:01 AM

Easy-to-misunderstand-headline aside: Ahahahaha.
24 May 2013, 16:36 PM

Thats stupid, and microsoft is wasting money. You know how we fix that kinect crap in Mexico?

We block the Kinect's IR sensor. Problem solved.

Legally speaking, they are allowed to do it. You are not supposed to be showing movies or games to public audiences unless you have a license, but to be honest, this will all come down to bite them in the ass. THIS is the reason people dont give a crap about pirating games, not because they are cheap.

Its simple: if people want something bad enough, they will spend their hard earned money on it. If your product sucks, they won't want it, thus not buy it.

Companies nowadays, "corner" the market, so that you are forced to buy their sucky product.
24 May 2013, 22:16 PM

Legally speaking, they are allowed to do it.

Nope, they're not. It's illegal surveillance no matter how they turn it.
And no, accepting a EULA does not give them the right to do that, considering no court will ever take a EULA seriously.
25 May 2013, 08:40 AM

We block the Kinect's IR sensor. Problem solved.

I would be very surprised if it would still play when the sensor is blocked.(pure speculation)
25 May 2013, 10:26 AM

I would be very surprised if it would still play when the sensor is blocked.(pure speculation)

Just put some ducktape in front of the sensor, problem solved. if it honestly refuses to play when I do that, I will decide that it has become self-aware, and I will destroy it with a hammer.
25 May 2013, 10:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2013, 17:56 PMWoggie

Ready?

25 May 2013, 13:16 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I will just leave this here :D.
http://imgur.com/5WXh32l
25 May 2013, 20:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2013, 22:16 PMNaeras

And no, accepting a EULA does not give them the right to do that, considering no court will ever take a EULA seriously.

It is not illegal surveillance, because it is completely anonymous, it is not releasing the information at all. If a device being able to count the number of people in a room was illegal, then the Kinect would have never been released in the first place (It has to be able to count the number of people, to know the number of players).

The only difference here, is that they are using it to enforce a perfectly legal clause: They don't want to allow the xbox to be used for public displays of movies and TV Shows.

Is it morally right? No, I think it sucks that they restrict absolutely everything.

Is it legal? Yes, it is.

EDIT: The tech can be used to do very, VERY illegal things, but that doesn't mean that it is inherently illegal. Scary, yes.
25 May 2013, 22:07 PM

It is not illegal surveillance, because it is completely anonymous, it is not releasing the information at all. If a device being able to count the number of people in a room was illegal, then the Kinect would have never been released in the first place (It has to be able to count the number of people, to know the number of players).

The only difference here, is that they are using it to enforce a perfectly legal clause: They don't want to allow the xbox to be used for public displays of movies and TV Shows.

The only difference here is that you can't turn the surveillance function off. That's the reason why it is illegal.

If they seriously think anyone is going to use a video game console for public display of movies, they've got something wrong. Plus, enforcing legal matters isn't a job for Microsoft. That's a job for the police.
26 May 2013, 00:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2013, 22:16 PMNaeras

The latter is probably true, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you say (especially considering you have knowledge of the surveillance function operating and a choice on whether or not to install an Xbox One in your home), it will definitely be interesting to see how this goes down in the courts..
26 May 2013, 01:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2013, 20:55 PMNaeras
..okay, this gif was too good/retarded to not post here.

Now I'll go sit in the corner and be ashamed for actually giggling at that :(

Soon... you will giggle at it without shame...

Then... you will laugh louder and louder at such things as Microsoft stops aiming at their foot with the shotgun and goes for the vital organs.

:D
26 May 2013, 08:50 AM

The latter is probably true, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you say (especially considering you have knowledge of the surveillance function operating and a choice on whether or not to install an Xbox One in your home), it will definitely be interesting to see how this goes down in the courts..

Courts here in Europe tells anyone bringing up EULAs to go fuck themselves. If the same consumer rights are present in the US, the same should go over there as well.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★