Login

russian armor

Grenade abilities and command delay

15 Feb 2015, 21:59 PM

First of all I still consider my self a newbie, so put your l2p-comments somewhere else.

I am still trying to get myself into the pvp part of the game.
I know how to make good use of the shiftkey and try to flank/compromise enemy positions when ever possible. Try too keep my troops alive and use retreat whenever I see my troops have no chance to win a firefight and too cut losses to a minimum.

But...
Most of the games I lose because of those grenadeabilities. Realy, everytime the enemy uses a grenadeability, 1 of my squads is gone.
Well, I know I cant be everywhere at the same time so this will happen once or twice no matter what i do.
But...
This happens also when I am looking at the squad that is being "naded" and even if I move it imidiately or order a retreat in some cases ( not always, but frequently) that squad is gone.

Worst case scenario of this is playing vs. ostheer and russians.

On the other hand , when I manage to dogde 2 or 3 grenades I have realy high chances to win that game, or my opponent just leaves...

I watched many livegames and most of the time grenades seem to be used much less frequently as opposed to what I get with the opponents I face...

So my question:
What should I do to avoid those 1click-sqadwipe-abilities? avoid cover? keep my squads moving?
15 Feb 2015, 22:10 PM

You will eventually get a sense of when players are likely to throw a grenade. If you see your troops are in nade range and bunched up, expect one. If it's a fight I can focus on, I like to bait the nade and dodge it in order to waste their munitions.

More important to your question, you need to look for the animation of the squad member throwing the grenade, and not wait until the countdown appears or the rifle nade being in the air.
15 Feb 2015, 23:10 PM
Patrion 14

Just pray that one day there won't be like 20 lagspikes a minute, then maybe you'll be able to dodge nades.
15 Feb 2015, 23:22 PM
Donator 11

More often then not you'll hear your troops say something along the lines of "Incoming grenade!" If you're not confident in your ability to move them to a safe distance you should just hit R/Retreat them before they take any damage. Another good thing to do is memorize the grenades different units have. Like Gren grenades don't have a timer to avoid, since they're rifle grenades while USF requires an upgrade that the player may not have yet.
15 Feb 2015, 23:24 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Thread title fixed
15 Feb 2015, 23:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Feb 2015, 22:10 PMboc120
You will eventually get a sense of when players are likely to throw a grenade. If you see your troops are in nade range and bunched up, expect one. If it's a fight I can focus on, I like to bait the nade and dodge it in order to waste their munitions.

More important to your question, you need to look for the animation of the squad member throwing the grenade, and not wait until the countdown appears or the rifle nade being in the air.

^ What man said.
16 Feb 2015, 00:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Feb 2015, 22:10 PMboc120

Thats the thing that drives me mad: Sometimes I see the animation, order move/retreat and nothing happens.
The delay is sometimes pure horror. One game it´s fine and normal, the next game theres a delay of 2-4 seconds.
I did test my connection but ping/jitter is normal.

Oh well, practice, practice, practice :S

Thread title fixed
thx
16 Feb 2015, 00:19 AM

Just like spiderman you will develop a sense for grenades and learn to avoid them. Just like you can not dodge 3 grenades, your opponent can not throw 3 grenades at once. Your squads say whether a grenade is incoming and you need always to look out for the animation.
16 Feb 2015, 00:42 AM

Permanently Banned
Just like spiderman you will develop a sense for grenades and learn to avoid them. Just like you can not dodge 3 grenades, your opponent can not throw 3 grenades at once. Your squads say whether a grenade is incoming and you need always to look out for the animation.

Relying on the audio-cue to try and dodge nades will almost never work, as by the time you re-adjust yourself to where the nade is being thrown you probably will be in it's explosive radius. However yes, looking out for the animation of the enemy squad memeber is the best way of dodging.

In the current patch, for all of Ostheer's let downs, their Grenadier Rifle Grenades are incredibly strong, and have an animation which is more subtle than other grenade animations, not to mention their long range makes predicting their trajectory less viable. So when playing vs Ostheer, keep your eyes open for any Grens firing Rifle Grenades, team weapons like Maxims or M2HB .50 cals will be particularly vulnerable.
16 Feb 2015, 03:05 AM

Permanently Banned

Relying on the audio-cue to try and dodge nades will almost never work,

It works most of the time for me
16 Feb 2015, 04:30 AM

you gotta look for animation and positioning cues.

If the squad is moveing then throw a grenade, they stop moving to do the grenade (incredibly obvious). experienced players never throw grenades outside the throw range for this reason.

So if the squad is in range of a grenade, and youre thinking "look im in good range to throw a grenade i ought to do that)"-- your opponent is probably thinking the same thing. The first step is to just assume there will be a grenade, espeically if youre in green cover- second step is to watch for the lead soldier in the squad (one standing towards the front) to do the grenade animation.
16 Feb 2015, 04:54 AM

Permanently Banned

It works most of the time for me

Only if no other audio cues (i.e. build complete, unit complete, territory capture, etc) occur with a few seconds of that one. Otherwise there probably wont be one. Trust me, I spent a good hour or 2 testing the effectiveness of grenades vs full HP troops in green cover with one of my friends. Using cheatcommands mod.

And even then it sometimes doesnt play the audio cue :snfBarton:
16 Feb 2015, 04:59 AM

Permanently Banned

Only if no other audio cues (i.e. build complete, unit complete, territory capture, etc) occur with a few seconds of that one. Otherwise there probably wont be one. Trust me, I spent a good hour or 2 testing the effectiveness of grenades vs full HP troops in green cover with one of my friends. Using cheatcommands mod.

:guyokay: ....
16 Feb 2015, 05:46 AM

Just babysit your dudes when you see Grens around, their Riflenade is deadly if you not paying attention, else they just waste another 30 muni. :)
16 Feb 2015, 10:33 AM

Maxims arent that vulnerable to riflenade, infact they are the toughest unit to deal with as Ostheer early game. Maxims could even withstand 1 good riflenade and reinforce at 16MP per entity.

However Maxims are particularly vulnerable to assault grenade/infiltration grenades, usually Maxim will not survive a volley of them due to large AOE volley and maxim takes time to unpack.
16 Feb 2015, 11:14 AM

Well, I know I cant be everywhere at the same time so this will happen once

If some one can - he or she will always win those who can't - it's called multitasking. This quality can be developed by proper training.

But...
This happens also when I am looking at the squad that is being "naded" and even if I move it imidiately or order a retreat in some cases

I suspect huge input delay or ping at your connection/PC
16 Feb 2015, 11:15 AM

Hmm, I even tried to set the games voices to 128 instead of the normal 64 but it has 0 effect...
even if i hear my men scream "grenade!" it´s already too late :*(
16 Feb 2015, 11:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Feb 2015, 10:33 AMy3ivan
Maxims arent that vulnerable to riflenade, infact they are the toughest unit to deal with as Ostheer early game. Maxims could even withstand 1 good riflenade and reinforce at 16MP per entity.

However Maxims are particularly vulnerable to assault grenade/infiltration grenades, usually Maxim will not survive a volley of them due to large AOE volley and maxim takes time to unpack.

Not anymore after the squad spacing change :foreveralone:

Those stupid love hugging each other, ALWAYS.
16 Feb 2015, 12:14 PM
Benefactor 115

In some situations you can also look for units that are in a fight checking the red crossmark on the shield, click it when you hear the shout and hit retreat without even going there.
You can also hit spacebar to take the camera to the unit that's shouting
16 Feb 2015, 12:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Feb 2015, 12:14 PMtuvok
In some situations you can also look for units that are in a fight checking the red crossmark on the shield, click it when you hear the shout and hit retreat without even going there.
You can also hit spacebar to take the camera to the unit that's shouting

I never used the spacebar, simply forgot it was there, maybe thats the solution. Got to force myself into using that feature...

Practice, practice, practice :gimpy:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS