Login

russian armor

Balancing 3v3 and 4v4 without revamping factions

23 Jan 2015, 02:46 AM

I've seen Soviet players steal USF tanks, people tank-trapping off their ally, indiscriminate artillery fire hitting friend and foe, and even an OKW player blowing up another player's medic truck because the truck's owner lost a KT. I've even seen an incendiary strike on an Ostwind that was drove right next to a USF Major, the US player killed the Ostwind but lost most of his forces to his teammate's indiscriminate firebombing. If you think 4v4 players won't destroy another person's cache in order to make one that actually benefits them, I think you're giving them too much credit.

Half of what you're describing is teammates trolling each other and the other half was bad coordination or accidental friendly fire. Neither of which is a reasonable objection to the possibility I outlined. You're making out like it's going to be some kind of common place thing that will significantly impact team games. That it won't work because killing each other's caches will be "part of the meta" rather than one or two dick players who are fucking with their teammates (and yeah I've seen someone drop an arty strike deliberately on someone else when we started losing once so I'm aware it can conceptually happen).

I'm not suggesting caches don't benefit teammates, but that they benefit teammates less than they benefit themselves. If this suddenly turns into a meta where significant numbers of people are killing each other's 200mp investments (that's almost the price of a squad) over something so short sighted, I will eat one of my 8gb ram sticks.

The reason OKW is so beastly in team games is because of two factors, the first being that it's significantly more difficult to outclass the whole enemy team than it is to outclass one player - weaknesses in build orders become drowned out by the number of players, single mistake from one player get compensated for by his teammates. Thus the idea of the Allies leveraging their (mainly USF based) early advantage becomes more difficult - the majority of games go to late game. The second is the proliferation of resources that OKW was never really balanced to be able to receive. I mean, you could just make it so caches don't contribute anything to OKW in general, but I'm sure the community would whine even harder about that.

23 Jan 2015, 02:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i usually try to drop arty on my teammates right before we win or lose just for shits and giggles. :D (though i usually play AT)
23 Jan 2015, 15:25 PM

Relic will never change this.

Which is also why they've missed out on the entire growing market for team based RTS games. Relic doesn't have to, and should never try to chase stuff like the MOBA market, but there's a real reason why people stopped watching Starcraft 1v1s and starting watching 5 man teams doing amazing things together.

Sure, a lot of their players only do single-player or comp stomps. But that's because 3v3 and 4v4 are such a damn slog most of the time, punctuated by some amazing games once and a while.
23 Jan 2015, 21:07 PM

Instead of causing caches to only provide teammates with half income wouldn't it be easier to just evenly divide the income provided by the cache between all teammates? For example in a 2v2 each player would get 1/2 the income of the cache, in a 3v3 1/3 the income, and in a 4v4 1/4 the income. That way the cache would take roughly the same amount of time (some rounding might be needed) to pay back the MP spent across all game modes and subsequently contribute far less to the resource inflation seen in larger team games.
23 Jan 2015, 21:17 PM

Fuel upkeep, man. It's really fucking simple.
23 Jan 2015, 22:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2015, 21:07 PMCabreza
Instead of causing caches to only provide teammates with half income wouldn't it be easier to just evenly divide the income provided by the cache between all teammates? For example in a 2v2 each player would get 1/2 the income of the cache, in a 3v3 1/3 the income, and in a 4v4 1/4 the income. That way the cache would take roughly the same amount of time (some rounding might be needed) to pay back the MP spent across all game modes and subsequently contribute far less to the resource inflation seen in larger team games.

You'd have to round it, so everyone got 1 fuel out of a fuel cache in a 4v4. But that's also a possibility, sure.
25 Jan 2015, 17:11 PM

In 3vs3 or 4vs4 the balance is close enough that a team of good players working together with voice chat (mumble)... will nearly always win vs a group of independent players no matter the faction.

But if both teams are on voice chat with equally good players then the Axis is be favored a bit.

Then, the only light balance changes that i suggest are:

- Reducing by 50% the range of all type of grenades when its thrower is suppressed.(for all factions)

-Increase MG42 suppression by 15% at all ranges.(HMG on tanks too.)

-Increase Maxim and US .50 HMG suppression by 5% at all ranges and increase their cone of fire 10%.

- Increase the range of bazooka by 10% and increase its penetration by 10% at the same mp cost.

-Vehicle should always get a critical movement debuff when hitting a dedicated AT-mine if it's not utterly destroyed. The severity of the critical should scale with the mine strength.

-When an infantry unit is moving, it should get a long range receive accuracy buff (def. bonus) and an equivalent long range firing accuracy debuff. (att. malus). (Firing at a moving target while moving is hard, just try it).

Balance, fun factor and realism were considered before the changes were proposed.

Thanks.
Comments ?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight