Login

russian armor

Positives for multiplayer game in 2014

A_E
17 Jan 2015, 13:00 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Last night's stream was disappointing. It was just Peter (balance dev) and Cynthia (community manager) streaming 4v4 and chatting. They did a Q+A where questions asked by the community were batted away with the NDA bat. Also some people were banned for asking questions about competitive ladder but I don't know the context they were banned in though or who banned them.

I remain optimisitc because of all that we got in 2014:
  • quasi dedicated servers (battle servers) that intermediate between players and ensure lag isn't caused by one person with a bad connection. Leaps and bound ahead of CoH2 2013 or CoH1's p2p connection.
  • Observer mode, like holy fuck we actually have this now, that's awesome.
  • Infantry killability, cover, and flanking was all made relevant with diverse weapon profiles - made the game SO much more fun to play. It was unplayable in December of 2013 imo.
  • Cover spread, men actually stand behind cover now and don't jump out from behind it? Should have always been this way, don't know how we ever managed without it.
  • New factions are decent and although they need balancing they're not game breaking like the Brits were. Or as overpowered as PE was in 2009 with the fallschirmjagers of death etc. All in all could have been A LOT worse. They only need sculpting now, and a good platform to go off.
  • They made a new UI for replays and obs mode meaning you can see 30% more of the game, and can see all the units for the opposing team. Made casting a lot more effective and easier to watch.
  • Map maker and Steam Workshop.
  • First wave of mod tools.

If we get even half of that in 2015 I'll remain happy with CoH2 as a game. My priorities would be:
  • OKW balance tweaks and faction design tweaks to make them more interesting and less reliant on one or two OP units to make up for their weaker periphery options.
  • Improve Soviet call-in dependency by making base built units stronger.
  • Introduce new commanders for USF and OKW giving USF less late game reliance on the Jackson by way of heavy armour - and OKW more variance in tactics.
  • Fix numerous bugs.
  • Take improvements from smaller observer UI into real game.

If we got that I'd be happy, and I consider that the bare minimum!
17 Jan 2015, 13:19 PM
Patrion 14

gives me hope i think
17 Jan 2015, 13:37 PM

Less NDA, more talky talky. Im getting more and more annoyed.
17 Jan 2015, 13:53 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

The most important for me is:
  • OKW balance tweaks and faction design tweaks to make them more interesting and less reliant on one or two OP units to make up for their weaker periphery options.
17 Jan 2015, 14:46 PM

NDA needs to go down, it kills the marketing team.
17 Jan 2015, 14:49 PM
Senior Editor Badge

17 Jan 2015, 15:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2015, 13:00 PMA_E
Last night's stream was disappointing. It was just Peter (balance dev) and Cynthia (community manager) streaming 4v4 and chatting. They did a Q+A where questions asked by the community were batted away with the NDA bat. Also some people were banned for asking questions about competitive ladder but I don't know the context they were banned in though or who banned them......

Yeah was rather stupid from my perspective, considering I got permanently banned from chat for asking. What their (Peter's and Cynthia's) personal opinion was on what are currently considered 'useless commanders'.

Next minute banned from chat. With no explanation of why or what for. None too pleased at all, I tell you that much. I won't go on lest i begin a pointless rant.
17 Jan 2015, 23:00 PM
Patrion 28

it could have been a lot worse... we could all have starved to death, for example...

it could also have been a lot better. maybe even 72 virgins better (i've never understood where the virgins come from, human gender ratios are 50/50)
17 Jan 2015, 23:02 PM
Donator 11

OKW balance tweaks and faction design tweaks to make them more interesting and less reliant on one or two OP units to make up for their weaker periphery options.
Improve Soviet call-in dependency by making base built units stronger.
Introduce new commanders for USF and OKW giving USF less late game reliance on the Jackson by way of heavy armour - and OKW more variance in tactics.
Fix numerous bugs.
Take improvements from smaller observer UI into real game

This would be lovely. However, IMO this is something you fix in a beta.
17 Jan 2015, 23:48 PM

it could have been a lot worse... we could all have starved to death, for example...

it could also have been a lot better. maybe even 72 virgins better (i've never understood where the virgins come from, human gender ratios are 50/50)

Very well written A_E, memories can be pretty short about all the features that have been demanded and then implemented.

Your list of priorities is solid but my biggest hope is communication will be opened up about their plans/lack thereof for these issues. Distracted developers trying to play a 4v4 while sort of answering questions that are important to the community is a bad recipe.
18 Jan 2015, 00:15 AM

[comment removed by relic propaganda officers]
other than those things i just pointed out, the game is great!
18 Jan 2015, 03:01 AM

[comment removed by relic propaganda officers]
other than those things i just pointed out, the game is great!

I think you'll find it was the moderators removing comments and chat banning people. Moderators from 'this' forum. Not so much what you believe it to be!
18 Jan 2015, 03:43 AM
Donator 11

While the priorities you mentioned good, I still think there are some systems in the game that really need continued work. Mod support is something that I've seen have very great results over the past few months. The biggest problem is that mods only have so much flexibility. Many mod creators are waiting for the tools to further improve their amazing mods! Another things that needs work on is War Spoils. I'm fairly certain that Relic has said that they were going to work on it but nothing has come up since then. I love this game to death but when you announce something people can only wait so long...
18 Jan 2015, 05:24 AM

lol, your using it in the wrong context. This is the internet, learn handle people disagreeing with you. No need to get offensive all I was pointing out is I don't think you have all the information.

Now as the idea of the thread is constructive I'm going to simply say that I think Relics marketing team is doing reasonably well considering possible hold ups from design and development not to mention the attitude they're getting from parts of the community right now. It's definitely a fine balancing act, I for one am glad to see 'they're' still trying hold on to 'their' positivity.
18 Jan 2015, 21:49 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

keep it clean :)
19 Jan 2015, 07:26 AM
Honorary Member Badge

19 Jan 2015, 08:35 AM

+1 to OP.
Positive voices in the community are so rare, hope to see more like this.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★