Login

russian armor

Bug patch fixes

• This thread is locked
PAGES (3)down
16 Jan 2015, 22:19 PM

Yeah, it wasn't the Chinese guy bringing it everyones attention who deserves any credit (Thank you Hikuran)

It wasn't the admins and clan leaders contacting relic quietly offline to report it discreetly (You know who you are)

No, all the credit goes to people who decided to troll with this, and then scream about how they were persecuted for doing so.

The ammount of correlation = causation and self justifying narcissim on display here is truly impressive

That chinese guy just showed that this bug exist, didn't showed how to do it, Price did it, showed everyone how it's done, people started raging, Relic email was spammed with reports, it's been less than week since Price stream and Relic now announces that bug is fixed? You think all the credits goes to "admins contacting relic"? don't make me laugh pls.

Our only tool to force Relic to fix some god damn gardening bug is to abuse and troll with it (same stuff was with bulletin stacking)
16 Jan 2015, 22:32 PM

That chinese guy just showed that this bug exist, didn't showed how to do it, Price did it, showed everyone how it's done, people started raging, Relic email was spammed with reports, it's been less than week since Price stream and Relic now announces that bug is fixed? You think all the credits goes to "admins contacting relic"? don't make me laugh pls.

Our only tool to force Relic to fix some god damn gardening bug is to abuse and troll with it (same stuff was with bulletin stacking)

Someone mentioned it beeing a really hard one to fix. Ever thought about a programmer already working on it, or otherwise the bug origniating in the engine could not be fixed in such short time? Ever thought about it, that sprinting the bugfix out was not the most efficient way to use the precious time of relic coders for our beloved game? Maybe we get the big patch one week later then before intended because of this.
16 Jan 2015, 23:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2015, 12:07 PMKatitof

Patch cooldown reset to 0, now we wait another 2 months to see something they are really excited about, but can't tell us because we would go batshit crazy and kill ourselves or something. :bananadance:

It's ok, I stacked my 10% cooldown bulletins, it will really be just over 6 weeks
17 Jan 2015, 00:10 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Thank you Hikuran if you reported dis, but (unfortunately or not) Relic does not do well with individual requests.
The rest of van Voort's post only slightly projects da objective truth and dis is why:

While it is true dat a lot of clan leaders, admins, casual players, pros and others who mean well to coh2 used different ways to report this issue to Relic, it is also true dat such turnout would not be possible without an initial catalyst. Like him or hate him, SPrice (unlike Hikuran or any individual admin, clan leader etc) managed to create a massive outburst of community disgust and anger towards da issue dat Relic could not ignore it which resulted in rather quick resolution.

Credit goes to all people dat took time and effort to pressure relic through Facebook, Twitter, forums and private messages; however, you also have to give credit to SPrice who took da initiative and made dis issue highly relevant.

Da point about prosecution is fundamentally flawed. Might I remind everyone dat SPrice clearly stated on da strim dat he is doing dis with a specific objective in mind. Say what you want, but he didn't use any 3rd party tools, nor influence da game outcome using techniques dat are not controlled by da game.

Now da prime reason why he was sanctioned was because Budwise and Noislow got butthurt after he demonstrated da exploit against them. In da true Reborn fashion they quickly jumped on the opportunity to sanction him for a bullshit reason of "coh2 does not promote use of known exploits". If that was da reason behind sanction, a sane human being can't help but wonder where was Reborn moral when the whole coh2 streaming community was exploiting Truck Crushing (which Noun also regarded an exploit) or when Raz (gud friend of Ceiz) and others were running wild with hacks. They were probably busy playing other games, complaining how coh2 is shit, and did absolutely nothing to make da game better. Hypocrisy at its best.

Firstly, I'm neither a mod, nor Black nor Red Admin. So these means that there are discussions here to which I am not privy; neither do I set policy.

Secondly, I don't watch streams,

Thirdly, I do however get to see invisible posts

On that basis, let me reconstruct the narrative.

7th January

1400 Hikuran starts his thread on US Supermen.

His first post details exactly how to do it, and that it also works for Stuarts and HVAP

1507 Apparently 3 replays were posted by Chinese players featuring this

1604 Napalm has already emailed Cynthia

1758 Inverse replies that this not the sort of thing you publicise

8th January

0055 Last post before Thread invised.

Note that the precedent has already been set that this is not to be publicised here

11th January

2055 Budwise removes Price's stream from the site for promoting the exploit

2107 The "Je suis Price" thread is started

2155 Last post before thread invised

12th January

1612 It is established that Price is using his alt account to publicise the exploit/farm wins

1721 Official COH2.org position is posted to portal

1758 Barton is demoded for publicising the exploit despite being asked not to

1813 Barton's stream is removed

14th January

Cynthia posts to official blog to say they are working on it

http://blogs.companyofheroes.com/2015/01/14/

2302 Cynthia posts to the position thread stating that they hope to have a fix soon

15th January

Bug fixed

17 Jan 2015, 00:24 AM
Honorary Member Badge

If your only tool is a hammer...

Let us reduce this to logical propositions shall we?

Your position is that relic will not fix bugs like this

Therefore you do not believe relic care about their game enough to fix it

However, you also think that if game breaking bugs are publicised and enough "outrage" is created that relic will be 'forced' to fix the issue

However if we accept your initial proposition: "Relic do not care about their product", then it is also possible for them to care so little that they wouldn't fix it for months or even never even if publicised.

Therefore the success of your strategy requires three things:

1) That Relic don't care about fixing problems

2) But they do care enough to do if there is a big enough headache created about it

3) That you either are perfectly capable of judging how apathetic Relic are about their own product, OR, you are willing to take the risk that the game be unplayable for as long it takes them fix it (which may be never)
17 Jan 2015, 00:35 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Credit goes to all people dat took time and effort to pressure relic through Facebook, Twitter, forums and private messages; however, you also have to give credit to SPrice who took da initiative and made dis issue highly relevant.

I don't think anyone has any concrete evidence either way, and in most cases people will be set in their position.

Either you think Relic doesn't care about fixing their game and that creating a major issue was the best way to handle this

Or you believe that they do, and that handling this discretely was the best way to handle it

I am however putting this out here for the undecided to make their minds up

It should now be apparent to all that publicising exploits in such a manner is not something that is encouraged on this site

Further, it is also possible that Relic will take action against those who abused this bug; which may end up including those currently congratulating themselves on solving the problem.

17 Jan 2015, 00:44 AM

OMG some people are simply just dense. I feel like I lost IQ from reading some of the posts in this thread.

Thanks van Voort and others for boosting it again. I might have broken just about even.
17 Jan 2015, 00:45 AM

So I guess mines remaining revealed is intended?
17 Jan 2015, 01:22 AM
Benefactor 355

I don't think anyone has any concrete evidence either way, and in most cases people will be set in their position.

Either you think Relic doesn't care about fixing their game and that creating a major issue was the best way to handle this

Or you believe that they do, and that handling this discretely was the best way to handle it

I am however putting this out here for the undecided to make their minds up

It should now be apparent to all that publicising exploits in such a manner is not something that is encouraged on this site

Further, it is also possible that Relic will take action against those who abused this bug; which may end up including those currently congratulating themselves on solving the problem.

The bottom line here is that everyone wanted this bug resolved ASAP and we all agree that these bugs are simply game-braking. We have different opinions about how to handle situation like this, and I am of the opinion that a major hell needs to break lose before Relic acknowledges/fixes anything. This is simply based on the fact that this community created and actively participates in bug reporting since the beginning, and a lot of issues still remain present to this day.

Now I do sympathies with people that lost games through this abuse, but the game is far better off if issues like this are resolved in the quickest possible manner even if the process of pressuring Relic leaves individuals butthurt.

As far as publicizing exploits is concerned, I don't need to remind anyone that this website has an active "COH2 bugs" section. If publicizing coh2 bugs is something "not encouraged by this site" then I suggest you close the bug section or ban anyone who dare posted there (including Romeo who actively maintains a 3rd party website and discusses open issues with his viewers and frequently expresses views about the lack of progress). Rules that state you can discuss certain types of bugs but not the game braking types are utter bullshit to say the least.
17 Jan 2015, 02:08 AM
Patrion 28

yeah, santa boxes is another good example. they're bugged for something like a month, maybe longer, before people start path blocking and blowing up bases with them. then they get fixed in about a week. there was another more recent issue that i can't remember the specifics of and probably others that i'm not remembering.

tl;dr
relic's team is too damn small for the game so they only fix shit when it punches them in the face with urgency.
17 Jan 2015, 02:48 AM

let me see US have bug when unit gain some buff and get in vehicle
temporary buff switch to permanent buff
list can happen
Capt on me! (fix)
RET volley fire
paratrooper tactic assault (but rec acc debuff and slow speed)
more?
17 Jan 2015, 22:21 PM

Therefore the success of your strategy requires three things:

1) That Relic don't care about fixing problems

2) But they do care enough to do if there is a big enough headache created about it

3) That you either are perfectly capable of judging how apathetic Relic are about their own product, OR, you are willing to take the risk that the game be unplayable for as long it takes them fix it (which may be never)

The argument only requires two things, because as you've said, no.3 is optional.

The first two arguments are not at all contradictory.

1. Politician doesn't care about his country
2. But he needs to pretend to give a shite in order to get re-elected.

While managing an online video game is not the same as running a country with nuclear weapons, all management follows the same tropes.

1. Manager is managing what they manage because they care about it
2. They do it for money
3. They kind of care about the game, but would immediately stop of they weren't paid. HINT: Unlike French Revolutionaries, etc, who actually really cared about what they were doing.

It may be unreasonable to expect Relic, or any company, to fall into no.1. What we are really hoping is that Relic doesn't fall into no.2

Hiding behind NDA, refusing to communicate with the community, being owned by SEGA and existing as a corporation after corporations arguably caused the GFC arguably due to their own greed, do not benefit relic's case for staying out of no.2

Cynthia being community manager while Gamergate is ongoing, does not necessarily help her cause either.

At many times in the past have video game developers been accused of greed, etc. For example, Riot Games has released patches every two weeks for the first 2-3 years of League of Legends. Every time the vocal minority calls them greedy pigs etc for charging high prices for new champions, people have plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise

1. They generously fund LCS every year, as well as maintain dedicated E-sports departments. E-sports Hamburg office has 9 openings, last time I checked.
2. Balance patches every 2 weeks shows dedication for making a genuinely good game

Riot games has not been perfect, and I could go on to list in length the things they have done/failed to do. Some of these things have actually been quite questionable, for example, refusing to ban someone who was clearly cheating due to a (high profile) case of domestic abuse involving said person, and it is not against the laws of logic that Riot Games is just putting on a massive front to disguise its evil ambitions, riot at least holds a defensible position.

Relic's NDA policy, and its poor track record (war spoils still not fixed aftea a year, etc) do not give it the same defensible position. While, as I have mentioned, this does not automatically give it evil maniac status, one cannot be blamed for assigning them this title.

17 Jan 2015, 23:23 PM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2015, 22:21 PMdpfarce

3. They kind of care about the game, but would immediately stop of they weren't paid. HINT: Unlike French Revolutionaries, etc, who actually really cared about what they were doing.

if you think this was true of all of them you're not cynical enough. some people do it for fun, others for power, and some because they think it's right.
18 Jan 2015, 02:00 AM

if you think this was true of all of them you're not cynical enough. some people do it for fun, others for power, and some because they think it's right.

It is of course ridiculous to believe 100/100 Frenchmen ran around singing la marseillaise while executing their king. This has nothing to do with cynicism or gullibility, it is just common sense.

It is also common sense to separate an action such as the French Revolution, from the action of doing a job that you're paid to do.

If you wish to further discuss the French Revolution feel free to send me a PM
PAGES (3)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight