Login

russian armor

COH2 into the E-sport - Casting mode -

1 May 2013, 20:46 PM
Benefactor 115

you know people should really do some research into how SC:BW became as big as it did in South Korea and paved the way for SC2.

I am certain it will surprise you. Not to leave you totally in the dark here's a starting point.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/12/11/korea/
1 May 2013, 21:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2013, 02:31 AMDanielD

How are you familiar with the limitations of the mod tools?

I can tell you right now, the layout of the UI will be off limits.

You can change the textures, but layout and features is impossible.
8 May 2013, 22:21 PM

I agree with Stalker on this and I'm amazed out of all the people on this thread only one person is not blinded by fanboyism.
9 May 2013, 15:34 PM

Perhaps we should consider that adding spectator mode could mean relic would be forced into a very long term commitment to this game, which is perhaps something they don't want to do yet, prior to it's release.

This game could be a flop. It could under produce the desired level of profits required by relic to keep the game growing whilst also funding future commitments, thus meaning they would be forced to leave the game in a relatively stable state and move on. They may be forced to consolidate themselves and begin work on something different, which in turn would mean less of a commitment to CoH2. Whilst this is unlikely, it is possible.

The whole "wait and see" concept works well for organisations like game developers and publishers because it minimizes risk. Minimizing risk is a key ideology at the forefront of any Executive's mind, essentially allowing them to maximize shareholder wealth. The key to corporate success.
9 May 2013, 17:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2013, 10:21 AMPepsi
When we met the Relic team (Oct and Dec/Jan), they told us they want to make coh2 an esport. So far, everybody knows that esport = perfect spectating mod. Q. Duffy told us once that the spectator features won't be part of the game at the release date but they will work on it post-release.
So let's juste wait and see..

In Duffy's latest interview, he waffled on the question of definitively classifying CoH2 as an eSport. He has started us all on the slippery slope of mediocre support for competitive multiplayer. So take your rose colored glasses off and live with the reality that Relic's prime concern is support campaign and skirmish versus the AI.
11 May 2013, 04:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2013, 05:11 AMInverse
You just need programmer time to code it, artist time to make it look good, and QA time to make sure it works. All of those are very expensive.

This is a pretty reasonable conclusion here.

The narblart, Scheldt players couldn't care less about eSports, spectator mode, blah blah blah. Since casters & spectators would initially represent less of the revenue $$ for the game, it's unlikely that this is even going to get a sneeze vaguely in its direction.
11 May 2013, 06:20 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

We have word that it's being worked on. It won't be part of release, but it's part of the post-release "road map."
11 May 2013, 08:27 AM

We have word that it's being worked on. It won't be part of release, but it's part of the post-release "road map."

What exactly is being worked on? We have been given no specifics whatsoever by Relic. If the game isn't being promoted as to having certain competitive features, what would be the point of adding any at some point post-launch?
11 May 2013, 12:11 PM

they have said multiple times that stuff like world-builder, mod-tools, observer mode etc. will not be in the game on release, but are on the road map for post release. whether that might be 6 months or 6 years after release they didnt say.

the logic behind it is that they will not be able to include these features because there is not enough time until release.

maybe their business model is genius: trying to attract all the casual (basic) gamer, comp stomper, scheldt like crowd (because it is bigger), letting them build up knowdledge about the game and then turning them into competitive gamers. isn't that how most people got to coh?

i'm not saying i like it, quite the contrary, but it might, it just might be genius.
11 May 2013, 12:13 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Observer mode and replay system will come in the first months of COH2 :)
11 May 2013, 12:42 PM

Observer mode and replay system will come in the first months of COH2 :)

Inside source or just a personal prediction :) ?
11 May 2013, 16:51 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Inside source ;)
11 May 2013, 18:11 PM

12 May 2013, 06:44 AM

Well that is good to hear.
12 May 2013, 12:43 PM
Donator 11

@Marcus - and by "replay system" you mean...?
12 May 2013, 14:09 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I mean better replay features in the replay system than those we had on COH and those we had on COH2 Beta
14 May 2013, 13:07 PM

Introducing... 3x speed for replays MVGame
14 May 2013, 19:08 PM

I can tell you right now, the layout of the UI will be off limits.

You can change the textures, but layout and features is impossible.

Depends on how it was made. I doubt they used scaleform, because they simply don't need it, but games like Crysis with a dynamic UI, could have their entire HUD modded and changed, because they used scaleform (just like Dead Space did). If my memory serves me right, CoH2 does use scaleform, but applied differently.

Even then, Crytek stated that modifying the UI, even if it was vector based, was VERY difficult. But still, having the flexibility to change it on the run, is invaluable.
14 May 2013, 19:09 PM

Sorta off topic, but PC studios really need to expand their target audience to make these costly features possible (like Dota2 style spectator mode). A large chunk of people playing games these days are teenagers that won't spend twice as much for a nice gaming rig when they can get a low maintenance console for $250, and relax on couch while playing it on a big screen TV + play split screen when friends are over.

When the next generation of consoles release, these PC studios need to start releasing to console also, since they will definitely be capable of running those games with a 7950 or whatever similar caliber GPU they have. Then we just need the mass production of console compatible usb mouse/keyboard, and the potential sales for games like this will skyrocket.
14 May 2013, 21:37 PM

"Buy COH2 on PlayStation 4, keyboard and mouse controllers included free of charge...!!!"
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★