Login

russian armor

(6 - 8) Red Ball Express

4 Jan 2015, 23:55 PM

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=369210409

Description:
"Between August and November 1944 the Allies operated an enormous truck convoy system between Cherbourg, one of the key strategic goals of Operation Overlord, and the forward logistics base at Chartres. Primarily manned by African-American soldiers, the Red Ball Express was a last-minute concept designed to provide a constant stream of fuel and supplies to the advancing Allied forces until larger ports such as Antwerp and Bruges could be recaptured. SHAEF knew that without such a supply network, the Allied advance would stall and eventually collapse -- a fate that seemed very real indeed in December 1944, during the Battle of the Bulge."

This is a remake of the popular vCoH map Red Ball Express, originally created by Yojimbo252 and patched into the game as a community spotlight contest map.
Rather than being a basic port, this version of the map has been designed from scratch by Zupa and myself, and reimagined so as to take CoH2's newer engine and faster game pace into account; some areas have been adjusted for improved gameplay -- such as generally lowering terrain elevation so as to avoid issues with certain ranged weapons -- but the original author's theme and layout have been retained.
We have spent a considerable amount of time designing, testing and reviewing this map, and feel that it is now at a point where it is ready for release.

As mentioned above, certain things had to be changed to ensure smooth gameplay as a number of gameplay mechanics function differently in CoH2 than they did in vCoH. Thus, the sector layout is noticeably different to in the original map, the heightmap has been altered to reduce the amount of terrain-blocking, and various areas have seen pathing improvements. Finally, the visuals have of course been updated to CoH2 standards!

Our aim is to recreate the Red Ball Express experience we have sorely missed from vCoH; with any luck, we'll have succeeded and you too can relive memories of such a wonderful, enjoyable map.

Zupa and I are both fairly new to the mapping game, so please feel free to post any constructive criticism you may have.

Regards,

Zupadupadude and Acinonyx
5 Jan 2015, 01:24 AM
Donator 11

Glad to have this map for coh2 :)
5 Jan 2015, 03:19 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Nice work. Yojimbo was a friend of mine and I can remember helping him test the original version of this map. Cool that we can play it in COH2 now too.
5 Jan 2015, 05:42 AM

Great map, glad to have it in CoH2 now.

Those -sb- guys sure have alot of talent.
5 Jan 2015, 12:13 PM

:clap: Great work, guys! :clap:
5 Jan 2015, 12:33 PM

This map is me favorite!
5 Jan 2015, 12:42 PM
Donator 11

Great map and nice work. :thumb:

We need this in automatch :P
5 Jan 2015, 13:05 PM

Looks like small map, is not true?
5 Jan 2015, 13:19 PM

This map needs to be implemented between official maps in Coh2, in order to be available in all game modes. It's a well constructed and balanced map. At list, that's the way it was in vCoh.
5 Jan 2015, 13:44 PM

Glad to see the positive response. We really hope you enjoy the map.

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jan 2015, 13:05 PMFrost
Looks like small map, is not true?

It is designed to be a 3v3 map and is therefore a bit small for 4v4s. However, we wanted to give players the option to play 4v4s on it if they want to. We also played a few 4v4s in our test matches and were positively surprised how well the map worked considering that it was not designed for 4v4 gameplay.

Its size is comparable to maps like Ettelbrück Station or Rzhev, but as Redball Express contains less Buildings and no movement impairing elements like rivers and instead consists more of open fields maneuvering should not be an issue.
5 Jan 2015, 14:28 PM
Senior Editor Badge

5 Jan 2015, 15:39 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!
5 Jan 2015, 21:38 PM

LOVED the original - one of my favourites... looking forward to having my computer set up again to play...it's been too long.
5 Jan 2015, 21:51 PM

relic, put this in automatch, pronto.

thx in advance!
6 Jan 2015, 12:31 PM

Played a few games with sib + viewers on this map tonight. Great map, looks very nice too! can tell its not a boring Relic map :P

Would love to see this one in the 3v3 ladder rotation! make it happen Relic!
6 Jan 2015, 13:28 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Map plays and looks great! defenitely would love to see this in the automatch . :)
6 Jan 2015, 13:43 PM
Senior Editor Badge

we need more classic maps from CoH1 with a high quality port:

Angoville Farms
Sturzdorf
Wrecked Train
Duclair
McGechaen's War
Point Du Hoc
Wolfheze
Montargis Region
Route N13