Login

russian armor

Help, is this a good rig?

31 Dec 2014, 17:37 PM

Hi, these are the specs for the pc im getting built, I have done lots of research into parts and stuff, being new its quite confusing, plus CoH2 seems to be a tricky game to run, help MUCH appreciated, thanks

Intel i5 4590 3.2ghz
Zalman LQ310 Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus H87 Plus Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM (2x4GB)
1000GB 7200rpm HDD
Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
Cooler Master GX Lite 500W PSU

Im looking to play it on high, medium-high settings, will this handle it ok.
I don't want a 4v4 lag fest lol
31 Dec 2014, 17:49 PM

Rig looks solid IMO. But with COH2 you can never be certain (Shit optimization). You'll be able to run almost every other game out there on max settings though. :p
31 Dec 2014, 18:05 PM

Cool, that's good to hear, thanks for the speedy response :), its just i've heard some people having probs with the gtx 970 on CoH2, that was my concern
31 Dec 2014, 18:47 PM

I have a little more powerful PC myself and I can run the game with all high setting, except AA low. My last PC had problems because of the RAM memory, and my current PC uses up to 9GB or ram while playing coh2, but I think that it won't be a problem for you. But if lags start to occur try adding some more RAM
31 Dec 2014, 19:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2014, 18:47 PMPlaguer
I have a little more powerful PC myself and I can run the game with all high setting, except AA low. My last PC had problems because of the RAM memory, and my current PC uses up to 9GB or ram while playing coh2, but I think that it won't be a problem for you. But if lags start to occur try adding some more RAM

Ok thanks for letting me know about the RAM, never considered that could be an issue, would turning AA off lower the amount of RAM?
31 Dec 2014, 22:41 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2014, 17:37 PMBlanch
Hi, these are the specs for the pc im getting built, I have done lots of research into parts and stuff, being new its quite confusing, plus CoH2 seems to be a tricky game to run, help MUCH appreciated, thanks

Intel i5 4590 3.2ghz
Zalman LQ310 Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus H87 Plus Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM (2x4GB)
1000GB 7200rpm HDD
Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
Cooler Master GX Lite 500W PSU

Im looking to play it on high, medium-high settings, will this handle it ok.
I don't want a 4v4 lag fest lol

I'd look at a Corsair H20 cooler if you insist on going that route.

Also I'd suggest looking at a Z97 or H97 motherboard as they are the newer version of the 87's. You'll also probably wnat a better power supply if you plan to push that video card well. Again I'd look at the Corsair TX and higher line.
1 Jan 2015, 11:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2014, 22:41 PMBudwise

Also I'd suggest looking at a Z97 or H97 motherboard as they are the newer version of the 87's. You'll also probably wnat a better power supply if you plan to push that video card well. Again I'd look at the Corsair TX and higher line.

Ok thanks, i'll check them out
1 Jan 2015, 12:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2014, 22:41 PMBudwise

Actually I have been thinking about the water cooler, I don't plan on doing hardcore gaming, and overclocking etc, would I really need a water cooler, or would a good fan be ok, if so, any recommendations :)
1 Jan 2015, 12:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2014, 18:05 PMBlanch
Cool, that's good to hear, thanks for the speedy response :), its just i've heard some people having probs with the gtx 970 on CoH2, that was my concern

I recently bought a PC with a GTX 970 4GB and so far it can run the game on max np, only thing that ever brings it down is relic optimization/server performace, cause every once in a while you'll get a 1-2 second freeze/delayed response which is annoying but can happen because of how Relic designed the game, sadly. I'm hoping next patch performance is addressed so I can enjoy the game without anymore interruptions, ever. So anyway, point is, GTX 970 works superbly with CoH2. :thumbsup:

Also fun fact/tip: when you get the game, keep AA on low, because honestly having it on MAX with the way Relic's current performance is with the game can actually decrease framerate by a bit for no reason, also it honestly doesn't change the look or feel of anything with AA on max, so best to keep it on low, in my honest opinion, everything else settings wise can be cranked up to whatever you feel like.

Another side note: The people having problems with their GTX 970's were either due to them using a built in one for their laptop, or not having them unlocked on maximum performance via BIOS after setting up their new PC(sometimes the Graphics Card might not be set on Maximum performance).
Use this to find out and compare with the normal performance settings for the card online after installing it, although usually you'll notice when your game isn't running very well for no reason: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
1 Jan 2015, 12:52 PM

You're good to go!
1 Jan 2015, 14:25 PM

I recently bought a PC with a GTX 970 4GB and so far it can run the game on max np, only thing that ever brings it down is relic optimization/server performace, cause every once in a while you'll get a 1-2 second freeze/delayed response which is annoying but can happen because of how Relic designed the game, sadly. I'm hoping next patch performance is addressed so I can enjoy the game without anymore interruptions, ever. So anyway, point is, GTX 970 works superbly with CoH2. :thumbsup:

Also fun fact/tip: when you get the game, keep AA on low, because honestly having it on MAX with the way Relic's current performance is with the game can actually decrease framerate by a bit for no reason, also it honestly doesn't change the look or feel of anything with AA on max, so best to keep it on low, in my honest opinion, everything else settings wise can be cranked up to whatever you feel like.

Another side note: The people having problems with their GTX 970's were either due to them using a built in one for their laptop, or not having them unlocked on maximum performance via BIOS after setting up their new PC(sometimes the Graphics Card might not be set on Maximum performance).
Use this to find out and compare with the normal performance settings for the card online after installing it, although usually you'll notice when your game isn't running very well for no reason: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Excellent, thanks for all the advice and help, that's put my mind at ease :D
just a side note, what 970 did you go for? because there seem to be quite a few different ones, like the MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte models
1 Jan 2015, 15:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2014, 19:31 PMBlanch

Ok thanks for letting me know about the RAM, never considered that could be an issue, would turning AA off lower the amount of RAM?

I'm not sure, but most likely it will have a little impact to the usage of ram
1 Jan 2015, 15:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2015, 14:25 PMBlanch

Excellent, thanks for all the advice and help, that's put my mind at ease :D
just a side note, what 970 did you go for? because there seem to be quite a few different ones, like the MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte models

Well the model I got was an MSI version.
Pretty much this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127833

It's a Blue MSI version of the GTX 970, while a tiny(and I meany tiny) bit less powerful(could easily overclock to what the RED has np) than the RED MSI version it tends to be much cooler, and have less/no coil whine then if I had gotten an EVGA OR Gigabyte model thankfully, so I would highly recommend going with either a Blue MSI version or a Red MSI version of the GTX 970.
Here are the two cards if you want to compare specs/read reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127833

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832

Happy Hunting. :D
2 Jan 2015, 17:34 PM
Donator 11

Gigabyte OC Version with Windforce cooler, or the MSI one with TwinFrozr (last link from VonIvan).
Both are cool and not noisy, and got plenty of room for possible OC (or the other way around, even less noise).

Btw.: if you go for an i5 non-K, then i'd suggest going for a Xeon 1230 / 1231 v3 instead.

Edit: why the Zalman liquid cooler, if you don't intend to OC?
2 Jan 2015, 21:19 PM
Donator 11

i got the asus 970 and it has been working great after the performance patch
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment