Login

russian armor

Panzergrenadiers - worth it?

30 Dec 2014, 07:29 AM

They are very good AT when equipped with Panzerschrecks but I'm not really doing good using them against infantry. Their Sturmgewehrs are the same as Sturmpioneers' (even slightly better on range) so they are great close range unit but come later and, obviously, can't repair or lay mines. They have reduced received accuracy but I can't really feel it, I often take heavy losses. Reinforcing is costly and takes ages in comparision to Grenadiers. For me there's little difference in performance between PzGrens and Grens with MG42, surely not enough to justify paying almost 1,5x as much.
Am I doing something wrong or is this unit really not worth their price?
30 Dec 2014, 09:20 AM
Honorary Member Badge

They are not too hot as anti-inf; though I'm pretty certain that their best range is mid to long, not mid to close.

I usually buy a couple to port shreks around
30 Dec 2014, 13:24 PM

But Panzergrenadiers have only slightly better DPS on range than stock Grenadiers (even falling below them on far range) and are much worse than LMG Grens, all that while costing 340mp. What's the point then?
30 Dec 2014, 13:49 PM

No. Pgrens haven't been worth it since wfa released they are far to fragile for what you get. That 340mp is best spent else where, relic still refuses to fix them even though we've been begging for Months
30 Dec 2014, 15:23 PM

Not worth it, this unit dies WAY too easily. And their AT buff is so expensive compared to their chances of actually surviving to even fire the Shreks.
30 Dec 2014, 18:28 PM

Useful vs Con spam and as your early AT on urban maps vs USF where 222's struggle. Also, if your mad enough not to veto Stalingrad, vs USF they do a job there.

For their manpower cost, I think they are grand for their Dps and intended purpose. Problem is, the game has moved on and without a munition upgrade to bump their AI ability, they pale in comparison to some units. Just a touch more armor might do the job though, as when a unit does burst damage and takes down one single member, that really hurts their dps, in comparison to units who carry weapons like LMGS, where the rest of the squad are glorified bodyguards! :)
30 Dec 2014, 18:49 PM

Even flamer sappers are better and cheaper.
2 Jan 2015, 14:13 PM

Yea, Panzer grens. are not worth it.They die like flies and they are not good anti infantry.With shrecks they miss or they take too long to fire.With vet they are a bit better but they are not worth 340 man power.
They suck.bann them! :banned:
2 Jan 2015, 14:29 PM
Donator 11

2 Jan 2015, 14:39 PM

Permanently Banned
Vetted Pgrens are amazing. They will vet quickly once equipped with Shrecks. Just don't overextend them and don't get 1 shotted :snfBarton:
2 Jan 2015, 15:12 PM
Donator 11

Yeah pzgrens are the pain in the ass for allies when equipped with shrecks, dual shreck does incredible damage against armour in the first volley, you just need to hide to reload instead of standing like terminator eating bullets as they are fragile. The shreck upgrade is expensive but when you count the fact that you get 2 shrecks it becomes very cheap in fact. As AI the unit is really good but not really worth its price, you pay at least 20-30 manpower for the upgrade possibility you won't use if you want to shoot infantry (on the other hand it's not that much but it becomes much more when you start to reinforce). In comparison with sturmpioneers they have quite good granade that demolishes buildings easily(instead of repeair ability).

Btw funny thing happens when you capture an mg especially maxim (that can easily be flanked due to small arc of fire) with pgrens. The enemy cannot flank mg at long range as it will reposition and supress his squads so he will try to come close or mid. And if your mg is crued with healthy pgrens, there is no allied unit (apart from shocks and smg paras) that can win such an engagement as they would have to close in on pgrens, it means crossing mid range under fire of stg that excells on that range and then fighting in close range where it is also quite good.
6 Jan 2015, 13:30 PM

If you combine the Panzergrens with green cover they can be quite durable even against Rifles. The trouble is, you don't have an option to place down green cover as the Ostheer, although there is the Defensive commander that features Tank Traps you can use for that.
6 Jan 2015, 20:06 PM

I agree with ferwinter, tanks are melt by a pgrens squad with shrecks, also they are a very good anti-infantry unit, i always get a squad or two.
7 Jan 2015, 05:32 AM

I always get one Pgren squad to cover my PaK.
It works very well when you have to face soviet mediums and light usf vehicles.

However, you have to be EXTREMELY careful when facing shermans or IS2 - if your pgrens will get targeted, in 70% of cases it's a 340mp and 120 munitions drain.
Also there's nothing worse than cons running about with stolen shrecks ;)
13 Jan 2015, 12:05 PM

Useless unit and manpower sink unless as stopgap AT.Relic should delete the AI version,instead of keeping the farce and make it a pure tankbuster squad minus the useless stg44s.
13 Jan 2015, 13:04 PM
Patrion 14

I pretty much always get them tbh, I don't see why people think they're worthless. I guess they're still stuck in the past and think they're charging units. They're not. They don't even have to charge, because they don't need to be at close range. They excel at medium range, and will shred any squad that tries to charge them out of cover (even shocks if you're positioned well, but that's a tricky one).

So yes, they're absolutely worth it imo, if you use them well. Either use them to defend your flanks, or to flank an opponent. Don't charge enemy units head on however, and in most cases: don't go for close range, go for medium range encounters.
15 Jan 2015, 15:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2015, 13:04 PMCptEend
I pretty much always get them tbh, I don't see why people think they're worthless. I guess they're still stuck in the past and think they're charging units. They're not. They don't even have to charge, because they don't need to be at close range. They excel at medium range, and will shred any squad that tries to charge them out of cover (even shocks if you're positioned well, but that's a tricky one).

So yes, they're absolutely worth it imo, if you use them well. Either use them to defend your flanks, or to flank an opponent. Don't charge enemy units head on however, and in most cases: don't go for close range, go for medium range encounters.

Simply put,they die way too fast..prone to getting one shotted and will bleed u dry trying to replace losses.Also 1 model dying loses 75% DPS unlike LMG armed units or 6 man squads.
15 Jan 2015, 20:39 PM

LMG squads are generally better because the real dps source has a few meatshields in front of it.

PGrens have very respectable damage output though imo for their cost and don't need a munitions upgrade to be effective AI. Just a slight tweak to their survivability really and i'd think they'd be in a good spot for non doctrinal infantry.

Says more about the general design of WFA units imo that they are now so overshadowed by the likes of LMG paratroopers and Obersoldaten. You have to actually use Pgrens smart with positioning.

3 Feb 2015, 16:27 PM
Patrion 14

Simply put,they die way too fast..prone to getting one shotted and will bleed u dry trying to replace losses.Also 1 model dying loses 75% DPS unlike LMG armed units or 6 man squads.

They don't die faster than pretty much any other infantry. So, like pretty much any other infantry, don't charge with them. It's not so fucking hard. And the losing 25% DPS per model is no argument, it's the same for any other SMG squad and noone's crying about them.
5 Feb 2015, 05:24 AM

They don't die faster than pretty much any other infantry. So, like pretty much any other infantry, don't charge with them. It's not so fucking hard. And the losing 25% DPS per model is no argument, it's the same for any other SMG squad and noone's crying about them.

Other infantry don't cost 42 reinforce and 340 mp.Neither do any advanced infantry die as fast.And no other smg squads don't lose 25% dps with 1 model.SO u don't know what ur talking about.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★