Login

russian armor

AA Review: It is a bit too easy

18 Nov 2014, 15:22 PM

4 hours and I am already at 52% of the campaign when i write this.
@Cynthia_RE

Dear Relic,

I love the tactical map and how you can choose where and when to attack.
The degree of freedom really makes you feel like in charge as a supreme commander.

I enjoy the scenarios you have created; the story and background, it adds depth to the game and special winning conditions are quite refreshing.
however, I have a complain: Every game is quite similar.

For me, USA infantry are too strong after 10 mins.
Why? As long as one doesn't lose squads at all, their veteracy build up to vet 3 too quickly.
Then? It is just a slaughter to every volks/strumpionners, even Obersoldaten and Falls.
And the AI can do absolutely nothing to stop you.

I didnt really need ANY tanks to win the scenarios; I could always out-cap the AI and run around with my Rangers (0 CP - comes with 5 Thompsons); or Airborne (0 CP - Upgradable with 4x Thompson/2x LMG)
The AI is absolutely incompetent. The starting pios of OKW simply runs around cover, going in and out of the house and cap random unimportant points. Come on, it is basically a free win...

I know that AI is hard to play well vs human players so in skirmish we have number over skills.
But even on Hard it's just too bloody easy. I have never lost a game since I started last night.

And because the USA starting unit is so strong (Rangers/Airborne); I didnt even need to build ANY rifleman. That's just kind of kills the point of rifleman, as backbone of USA army isn't it??

And lastly, I like the commanders for each company and their respective veteracy. But again, because the starting unit is so strong, It just doesn't matter anymore. One simply doesn't need to use any commander abilities to win a fight. And the veteracy...well...Half way through, only 1 company made it to vet 1 and I can barely feel any difference.

Lastly, I have a suggestion. How about patch a new difficulty? where it is like Case Blue ToW - Road to Kharkov on General? Some skilled players love a good a challenge, a very difficult one can be very rewarding and run to replay. I surely want to kill some King Tigers/Jagdtigers with M10s!!
I think it wont be too hard to implement as it can just be another Expert AI with more resources.

Retarded AI getting his truck killed doing nothing

Thanks for the game and I await your polishing of this Campaign.

Best Regards,
Siu-King**
18 Nov 2014, 15:27 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

An even harder difficulty mode would be awesome. I know AI programming is very hard but I think they can at least make it not do blatantly dumb stuff like panther rear armor charge, garrison/eject constantly, etc etc.

That being said I still felt it was very difficult and was down to only a single sherman tank at one point so I was certainly adequately challenged.

18 Nov 2014, 15:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2014, 15:27 PMRomeo
An even harder difficulty mode would be awesome. I know AI programming is very hard but I think they can at least make it not do blatantly dumb stuff like panther rear armor charge, garrison/eject constantly, etc etc.

That being said I still felt it was very difficult and was down to only a single sherman tank at one point so I was certainly adequately challenged.

That's what I meant, some dumb stuff can be avoided.
And most of all? Strumpio walk around not returning fire...is a free sector gift

Just give us another Kharkov Pursuit and it'll be just fine ;)
I loved the old days to call in a Tiger Ace when I had 10 VP left.

Well the thing is, Instaed of going tanks, you simply dont need to;
And they dont want you to go tanks at all anyway, given the +10 or so fuel income.

But...
18 Nov 2014, 16:30 PM

I'm playing standard difficulty and it's just blob until you can have 2 blobs, then send in a ton of tanks and own them

Mech company is boss. Just spam Cav rifles, leave them in their HT, and wait for tanks, then spam that call in too

It's silly

I wish they would add some of these units to MP. Cav rifles would fit very well into the USF late early game/early mid game
18 Nov 2014, 16:33 PM

I'm playing standard difficulty and it's just blob until you can have 2 blobs, then send in a ton of tanks and own them

Mech company is boss. Just spam Cav rifles, leave them in their HT, and wait for tanks, then spam that call in too

It's silly

I wish they would add some of these units to MP. Cav rifles would fit very well into the USF late early game/early mid game

I just feel like I was very smart not paying 40, even 20 USD for it :p
18 Nov 2014, 16:36 PM

I messed up buying it. It's 10 hours of entertainment for 40 bucks. The replayability is meh because it's the same missions over and over again, with just slightly different twists depending on the order played

(40 bucks of the good stuff will buy you the same 10 hours of entertainment I might add)
18 Nov 2014, 17:36 PM

Rangers are easy mode once you get lucky enough to find the medic upgrade through a random event (every squad at that point can out heal 3 squads shooting at it while in green cover, its retarded). Otherwise, I too, like Romeo, had some down to the wire battles. One of the fuel depot defense missions had me lose something like 56 strength, down to 2/100, since the last 5 minutes were just an absolute hell hole.
18 Nov 2014, 18:00 PM

Rangers are easy mode once you get lucky enough to find the medic upgrade through a random event (every squad at that point can out heal 3 squads shooting at it while in green cover, its retarded). Otherwise, I too, like Romeo, had some down to the wire battles. One of the fuel depot defense missions had me lose something like 56 strength, down to 2/100, since the last 5 minutes were just an absolute hell hole.

Tell you what, Rangers are easy start, true strength is in Airborne...
Upgrade everything in Airborne tree =>
1) Airborne Drop 266 manpower (What's the point of rifleman anymore?)
2) Strafing Run 37 ammo!!
3) Drop ammo & fuel 75 ammo & 25 fuel!! for 262 mp
4) P47 70 ammo

How can you even lose??

vs Ober - Swarm it with Brownings
vs Tiger - Swarm it with Shermans + Jacksons (I unlocked M36 Jacksons yes)

you will never run out of ammo and fuel with drops...and such cheap air support
18 Nov 2014, 18:31 PM

Permanently Banned
I pretty much expected this. RTS AI actually being able to compete with a MP experienced player without use of just unfair amounts of resource bonuses or abilities not accessible to the player is unheard of.
18 Nov 2014, 19:25 PM

I pretty much expected this. RTS AI actually being able to compete with a MP experienced player without use of just unfair amounts of resource bonuses or abilities not accessible to the player is unheard of.

Sadly they dont have CPU-Expert as an option.
18 Nov 2014, 19:42 PM

Harder difficulty would be great. AA is great as is, but man do I wan't a better challenge.

Plus, if the Axis actually counterattacked and such, that would be great :D
18 Nov 2014, 19:44 PM

Well, AA will be hard enough for comp stomper crowd, but anyone who ranked in three digits shouldn't have any problem with it on highest difficulty.

Its definitely fun thou.
18 Nov 2014, 20:11 PM
Patrion 15

It's been challenging enough as long as you don't try to minmax it and just play with whatever units seem fun/interesting to play with. I'm really enjoying it so far.
18 Nov 2014, 20:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2014, 19:44 PMKatitof
but anyone who ranked in three digits shouldn't have any problem with it on highest difficulty.

(looks at own playercard) YESSSSS
18 Nov 2014, 20:22 PM

Well, relic has done incredibly difficult missions in the past, and all it should take to make the campaign incredibly hard is to move the AI difficulty level from hard to expert.

As a former men of war singleplayer player, i am used to playing the same mission for weeks for +20 hours only to realize that i fucked up and there is no way for me to progress and restart the whole thing :D
18 Nov 2014, 20:26 PM

mades MOAR pre-oders :clap: or save u money and read some critics reviews
18 Nov 2014, 20:26 PM

I just wish the AI made moves on the Strategic map. It would add much needed replayability and make the game feel more than just a branching campaign mode with a map overlay. :(

Otherwise it's fun. Playing on Hard difficulty I have found some missions utterly brutal, and some a walk in the park.
18 Nov 2014, 21:08 PM

i dont believe that everyone here says AA IS EASY.. no if you play at hard mode its not fuccking easy... i even couldnt manage the finish elsenborg ridge which is the first main mission.. giving stupid bonus orders, trying to do them too.. but i lost 2 points when i had 1 min left..
18 Nov 2014, 21:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

haha yeah level 1 is unusually difficult I got owned too :D
18 Nov 2014, 21:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2014, 21:08 PMViento
i dont believe that everyone here says AA IS EASY.. no if you play at hard mode its not fuccking easy... i even couldnt manage the finish elsenborg ridge which is the first main mission.. giving stupid bonus orders, trying to do them too.. but i lost 2 points when i had 1 min left..

Micro and Unit Preservation. period.

Or maybe just because I'm two-digit ranking player lol
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight