Login

russian armor

Have Guard Rifles aged well?

2 Dec 2014, 20:55 PM

I like the idea of the optional PTRS or DP upgrade. The PTRS needs a special ability to go with it though. I'm thinking like a Target Engine ability that would be similar in effect to the cons' AT grenade, except from a long range.

This would give the PTRS a chance to shine while light vehicles are on the field. It's a more permanent ability than button (it actually critically damages a vehicle) but it actually relies on penetration, so it won't work against the front armor of a Tiger.

Meanwhile, the DP can be chosen for the anti-infantry role. No models are wasted with a PTRS when you don't want it, and the button ability still works as normal.
3 Dec 2014, 07:49 AM

Guards pretty lackluster ATM. THey are not bad at vet 3 but generally ave performance issues. THey do work well supporting SU85s and AT guns hough. I like buton vehicles that go in for a flank. After that, you type "GET THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK OUTTA HERE!!!" as your AT destroys them ;)
13 Jan 2015, 23:41 PM

Digging this thread up because I just returned to the game late december.

And WTF? I can't recognise the anti-vehicle ability of the guards. They used to be a semi-counter to early vehicles, but now they seem to do no more vehicle damage than cons. So what's the point of them now?

What happend? Or am I just overlooking something?
14 Jan 2015, 20:13 PM

You're not overlooking anything, post-button nerf guards now scale like crap just as all other Sov infantry apart from shocks.
15 Jan 2015, 06:49 AM

Never mind scaling. The problem is that the SU sort of has no hard counter to early tanks (adding the Luchs has aggrevated this problem) than the Zis. I.e. no choice unless the german player is daft (I managed to satchel one the other day).
15 Jan 2015, 07:32 AM

Guards pretty lackluster ATM. THey are not bad at vet 3 but generally ave performance issues. THey do work well supporting SU85s and AT guns hough. I like buton vehicles that go in for a flank. After that, you type "GET THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK OUTTA HERE!!!" as your AT destroys them ;)

Nope. They just press "Smoke" (which is cheaper than Button) and get back to safety.
15 Jan 2015, 08:24 AM

Nope. They just press "Smoke" (which is cheaper than Button) and get back to safety.

true :(
15 Jan 2015, 15:45 PM

I wonder if anyone tried to equip Zooks or shreks on Guards? If so, did the Guards perform exceptionally well against armor, with button + zook(shrek) combo?
16 Jan 2015, 12:04 PM

Permanently Banned
Lend lease doctrine gets a combat group with a M5 halftrack+a guards unit with 2 SVTs and 4 PPSh,it is my new favourite unit because people see the guards icon and do not worry about focusing them down and then they come in with the excellent guards grenade and the ppsh,really a shock to them.Combat group is pricy but worth it imho.Normal guards still suck,I prefer just going T2 and getting a field gun.
17 Jan 2015, 15:14 PM

Guards need a button where they can put away the PTRS toggle and replace with mosin nagants.That should probably make them powerful as AI.
20 Jan 2015, 14:33 PM

When playing against Ostheer, I always use Guards, 2 of them most of the time. Keep them together and hide them somewhere close to the battlefield. Give them the upgrade and button vehicles. I don't use them against OKW though, I prefer AT guns against OKW.
20 Jan 2015, 14:41 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2014, 19:18 PMFrost
Because it id best AI granate in the game?

What about PG, Obers nade for the same price ?
20 Jan 2015, 16:35 PM

I think, guards and irregulars nade working better than bundle granates but it is is my opinion.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 44
Germany 759
unknown 20
Germany 2
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L