Login

russian armor

My wish for better infantry combat

24 Oct 2014, 15:25 PM

I still think that all static MG's need a buff to suppression. Blobs are still running rampant.

I also agree that a factor is the offensive veterancy bonuses are too effective.

Finally with OKW vet 5 blobs are so powerful vs allied infantry that they work regardless of the infantry deployed against them. Seriously look at what vet 5 gives. German infantry should not get personnel force fields.
24 Oct 2014, 17:16 PM

Vet 5 is pretty ridiculous. Having the ability to just get there is kinda OP already.
5 Nov 2014, 04:18 AM
Benefactor 340

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Oct 2014, 06:36 AMwongtp

what micro? A+move with lmg blob.

blobbing is always going to work in coh 1 BAR blobs and volks mp40 blobs in coh 2 conscript blobs any infantry will be effective when blobbed at least Grens have a weakness against anything armored and of course machine guns and artillery (low squad durability) yes an lmg bloob is good against enemy infantry but you still have soo many options to tackle it try beating Riflemen + Leutenant + captain 3 squad blob
5 Nov 2014, 04:37 AM

Actually, in the early versions of CoH2 cover was nullified at close range. Units firing within a certain range were unaffected by cover. That was changed rather soon.

Late game infantry just instagib anyway, regardless of their vet. That's the only change for 'better infantry combat' I'd like to see: squads, especially vetted ones, not all dying in one shell/nade/bullet.

When damage is spread across entire squads, a single bullet can cause lethal damage to multiple entities in various positions and cover. I recall there being a significant push to eliminate instances of 'overkill' from combat, and having (some) combat damage being distributed across whole squads to 'make balancing easier' or something rather.

This is extremely unintuitive, and makes for extremely clunky infantry control, especially where timing retreats is concerned. Pathing issues exacerbate this problem to an incredible degree as well. (Nothing like snow molasses for squad wipes.)
5 Nov 2014, 04:49 AM
Donator 33

I think it's more a problem with forward retreat points rather than the units themselves. There's not enough downside to mass blobbing. In each engagement if the blob is successfully countered it mass retreats with no great loss of time. If the blob is not countered it will be hugely effective in terms of dps. Overall it's a very rewarding and safe way to play, despite also being the easiest.
5 Nov 2014, 05:36 AM
Benefactor 340

i feel as if there is a problem with HMGs in this game,

i haven't looked at the numbers so im hoping someone can elighten me on the numbers but where HMGs in vCoh more effective than those in this game, i feel like mgs here just dont last and "lock down" regions like in vCoh

5 Nov 2014, 05:58 AM

I have in multiple instances had enemy rifle squads walk across half the arc of an mg42s fire before being suppressed, and still crawl across the other half without ever being pinned.

I've consistently had conscripts and rifles alike walk across roads directly towards a set up and faced mg42 head on and still manage to throw a molotov or a grenade, (and usually decrew or force a close retreat as a result.)

As Ostheer I just spam grens until I can steal a maxim so I can suppress something.
5 Nov 2014, 06:20 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

i feel as if there is a problem with HMGs in this game,

i haven't looked at the numbers so im hoping someone can elighten me on the numbers but where HMGs in vCoh more effective than those in this game, i feel like mgs here just dont last and "lock down" regions like in vCoh

They were alot more effective at suppressing but there were more ways to counter them like using fire up on rangers, better snipers, are more practical troop transport options.
6 Nov 2014, 06:22 AM
Benefactor 340

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2014, 06:20 AMTobis

They were alot more effective at suppressing but there were more ways to counter them like using fire up on rangers, better snipers, are more practical troop transport options.

lol dont even talk to me about Ranger blob or sniper spam or any of those damn gimmicks the U.S. did in vcoh

im glad snipers where redone and fire up did not make coh 2
6 Nov 2014, 07:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Oct 2014, 00:57 AMsteel
Change LMG to original style again? Short-mid range weapon.

Obers should be close-mid range (and STG should make them far-range) because they lack bipod, and LMG without bipod is really shitty on far range.
Oh, I forgot Obers have arms from steel and don't need bipod :loco:
6 Nov 2014, 07:45 AM

Actually, in the early versions of CoH2 cover was nullified at close range. Units firing within a certain range were unaffected by cover. That was changed rather soon.

People seem really confused about this still.

IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED.

Pretty much every infantry small arms weapon has point blank: true. The current value for range at which cover is ignored when it is true is 10. Does not affect building cover. You can very easily check this out on kholodny's leftside spawnpoint as the house there has a stone wall right next to it that is clearly within range 10. Try to clear out the house with the help of that stonewall and you'll see that it doesn't do anything. But stand behind the tank corpse on the south side of it and things are suddenly a hell of a lot more comfortable.
6 Nov 2014, 16:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2014, 07:45 AMCruzz

IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED.

Pretty much every infantry small arms weapon has point blank: true. The current value for range at which cover is ignored when it is true is 10. Does not affect building cover. You can very easily check this out on kholodny's rightside spawnpoint as the house there has a stone wall right next to it that is clearly within range 10. Try to clear out the house with the help of that stonewall and you'll see that it doesn't do anything. But stand behind the tank corpse on the south side of it and things are suddenly a hell of a lot more comfortable.

I see.... so if i literally get next to the enemy, their cover can't save them? :D
6 Nov 2014, 18:09 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

lol dont even talk to me about Ranger blob or sniper spam or any of those damn gimmicks the U.S. did in vcoh

im glad snipers where redone and fire up did not make coh 2

I'm not saying I wanted them in CoH2, but they definitely helped keep the much better mgs in vcoh in check.
and
6 Nov 2014, 19:51 PM

Veterancy needs to be toned down. It's what makes late game infantry combat ridiculous (esp. in combination with LMGs).

Veterancy is also a contributing factor to why late game tank battles end up as shit for US. Their tanks are hard to keep alive, so it's hard to accumulate vet.
6 Nov 2014, 20:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2014, 19:51 PMand
Veterancy needs to be toned down. It's what makes late game infantry combat ridiculous (esp. in combination with LMGs).

Veterancy is also a contributing factor to why late game tank battles end up as shit for US. Their tanks are hard to keep alive, so it's hard to accumulate vet.

l2p issue. especially since usf vet for tanks is awesome.
and
7 Nov 2014, 00:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2014, 20:22 PMJaigen

l2p issue. especially since usf vet for tanks is awesome.

Great argument bro. Too bad "awesome" gets you nowhere fast versus heavy tanks, against someone who knows to reverse and repair.

I guess the win rate discrepancy between factions, esp. in longer games/team games is a l2p issue too, right?
7 Nov 2014, 10:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Nov 2014, 00:26 AMand

Great argument bro. Too bad "awesome" gets you nowhere fast versus heavy tanks, against someone who knows to reverse and repair.

I guess the win rate discrepancy between factions, esp. in longer games/team games is a l2p issue too, right?

Heavy tanks are a non issue for the usf. in fact they have the best TD in the game to quickly wipe out any heavy tank. the only thing tigers and king tiger accomplish is giving jacksons a bucket load of vet.

Te most dangerous TD's for the usf are actually the puma's as they combine firepower and speed and are cheap enough to mass produce. 2 puma's do more damage then 3 panthers and they have the speed to catch up with usf armour.
8 Nov 2014, 01:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2014, 07:45 AMCruzz

IT HAS NOT BEEN REMOVED.

Pretty much every infantry small arms weapon has point blank: true. The current value for range at which cover is ignored when it is true is 10. Does not affect building cover. You can very easily check this out on kholodny's leftside spawnpoint as the house there has a stone wall right next to it that is clearly within range 10. Try to clear out the house with the help of that stonewall and you'll see that it doesn't do anything. But stand behind the tank corpse on the south side of it and things are suddenly a hell of a lot more comfortable.

That... is GREAT to know. Thanks!

Were you only able to figure this out recently now that mod supports back, or has this been available knowledge for all this time?
8 Nov 2014, 03:29 AM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2014, 19:23 PMNinjaWJ

1. tone down infantry lethality to discourage a-moving powerful units that pulverize everything

What's the intention of this change? Whether they do more or less damage, it wouldn't change anything at all.

Nerf these ridiculous "received accuracy" bonuses some units get. Mainly Volks.

What this man says.
12 Nov 2014, 11:41 AM
Benefactor 340

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Nov 2014, 18:09 PMTobis

I'm not saying I wanted them in CoH2, but they definitely helped keep the much better mgs in vcoh in check.

But its an mg you have so many options to deal with it like armored car, tank (any vehicle)unless you were one of those players that only uses infantry. Mgs are meant to deal with inftantry have infantry that can just negate their usefulness kind of makes them useless and rangers are already capable of so much.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Netherlands 17
South Africa 1
Germany 825
Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %