Login

russian armor

Accuracy Mechanics

11 Oct 2014, 23:07 PM

Something I've been wondering about.

In real life, it's easier to hit a blob of people than it is to hit a single person standing alone. I mean, at least I think - someone with shooting experience correct me if I'm wrong here.

From what I understand about how accuracy works in CoH2, hitting 1 squad standing by itself in a field is just as difficult as hitting 3 squads bunched together. This is because the chance to hit only takes into account the accuracy of the shooting unit, cover, and the received accuracy of the squad being shot at.

This means that weapons with area effect have an easier time hitting massed infantry, but a rifle squad has just as hard a time hitting 5 volks models as it does hitting 30 volks models all lined up together.

I don't think that blobbing is somehow overpowered, and I'm not asking for mechanics changes to take it out of the game.

But can anyone with more knowledge of mechanics confirm that it works this way, and if it does, would anyone agree with me that this system is rather counter intuitive and can look somewhat strange?

I tried looking this up but couldn't fine anything. Apologies if this is explained somewhere.
11 Oct 2014, 23:17 PM

The only mechanic i am aware that Functions like this is AOE supression, If two squads are in close proximity they will take increased supression from MGs,

Also models may find it difficult to all use cover if they are blobed up
12 Oct 2014, 00:00 AM

There's an incremental accuracy modifier for small arms which increases accuracy by x% for every infantry model in a y radius around the target. Currently this is enabled on most machineguns (not the light variety), but is missing from every weapon used by infantry that isn't a HMG. It's not a huge effect by any means, but it does mean there is a minor damage taken increase for blobbing up against vehicle MGs and infantry HMGs.
12 Oct 2014, 00:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2014, 00:00 AMCruzz
There's an incremental accuracy modifier for small arms which increases accuracy by x% for every infantry model in a y radius around the target. Currently this is enabled on most machineguns (not the light variety), but is missing from every weapon used by infantry that isn't a HMG. It's not a huge effect by any means, but it does mean there is a minor damage taken increase for blobbing up against vehicle MGs and infantry HMGs.

wow interesting. they should add that on every weapon. I think in terms of blobbing, once you get some powerful units, you can basically just ignore all bullets that don't come from hmgs
12 Oct 2014, 00:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2014, 00:05 AMNinjaWJ

wow interesting. they should add that on every weapon. I think in terms of blobbing, once you get some powerful units, you can basically just ignore all bullets that don't come from hmgs

it sounds like it works by looking at how many enemy units are in close range of the smg wielding unit. This mechanic wouldnt work with medium/long range rifles because you could have two squads completely not near eachother (but in range of the same target squad), and that target squad would get an anti-blob accuracy bonus even though they werent firing on a blob.

it sounds like itd work on the smg because since its close range than any units near it are blobbing.
12 Oct 2014, 18:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2014, 00:05 AMNinjaWJ

Think further about what actually happens when you add this to all weapons.

1.) It increases the problem with different squad sizes. Riflemen being 5 entities, Conscripts 6. If you add such a modifier to for example grenadiers and you want to balance to stay the same, they would perform slightly worse vs Riflemen and slightly better vs Conscripts.

2.) It actually does not solve blobbing. If you add such a modifier to for example Grenadiers, there is still no additional strategy to fight a rifle blob. Either you use a current one, HMGs, mortars, tanks or a combination of those. Or you would really try to use this new incremental accuracy by getting several Grenadiers to fight the Riflemen. So either you have no actual change meta wise or you get a blob to fight a blob.

Overall I do not think this would add much to the game. It would add another layer of confusion to units. It's often already hard enough for people to judge the performance of units, this would mean the performance also changes depending on the amount of targets. I know it sounds good on paper, but it actually does accomplish little.

Edit: It could get people to spread their blobs out a bit further instead of a-moving them, but I am not sure. This requires comparably more micro, so I am not sure if it is actually worth it :/
12 Oct 2014, 18:29 PM

thanks for clarifying milka. i guess it would add a whole layer of confusion and complication. what do u think is the best solution to prevent blobbing?
12 Oct 2014, 19:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2014, 18:29 PMNinjaWJ
thanks for clarifying milka. i guess it would add a whole layer of confusion and complication. what do u think is the best solution to prevent blobbing?

Lets say here should be limit for each unit? Like you can have maximum 3 grens 2 engies 1 tiger and so on. And that meybe could create game more tactical.
12 Oct 2014, 20:02 PM

It seems to work that way ever since vCoH.

The Stuh42 can hit riflemen just fine but against an airborne squad or ranger squad the Stuh perfers to shoot over the infantry missing them completely. Therefore when a huge blob of Rangers or Airborne comes the Stuh will just keep missing because of the receive accuracy of those squads. This is one of the reasons why blobbing was so prevalent and how airborne squads were OP being in the old days.

It's a stupid mechanic and a serious flaw in the CoH universe but whatever.

12 Oct 2014, 20:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2014, 18:29 PMNinjaWJ

I honestly think that all hmgs except the Kubel could use an aoe suppression buff. Not a huge one but a little something. In CoH 1, if you walked your rifles face first into an mg, they were all suppressed almost immediately. In Coh2, it's not uncommon to see two infantry squads side by side approach an MG and the one being shot is suppressed while the other just moves to the side a bit and "flanks" the mg. Hmgs are meant to be blob control units and currently they generally aren't amazing at it unless you do a lot of manual targeting in which case the blob often has time to frontally decrew the gunner.
12 Oct 2014, 20:19 PM

also theres several other anti-blob weapons.

grenades, MGs, mortars, tanks, artillary.. all these do very well against blobs.

Its only in straight up infantry vs infantry no other abilities or backup where blobbing doesnt really have a downside. Which is kind of rare imo.
12 Oct 2014, 21:44 PM

Blobbing I don't really care about but I do wish that accuracy mechanics reflected what you saw on the screen in a more straight forward way.

In other words, I'd like it better if a big group of dudes was easier to shoot than a small group of dudes even in battles without grenades or mortars. The current situation is almost like if the King Tiger had the same target size as a Kubel (but the game were somehow balanced so that it worked that way).

Changing it would mess up current balance though so I suppose this is more of an idea for CoH3.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★