Login

russian armor

Airborne company tips.

6 Oct 2014, 09:24 AM

When I play as Ostheer I always see people using Airborne nowadays. But I can't use it well if I play USF that I end up using Armour and Infantry the most. How do you use this doctrine actually?
6 Oct 2014, 16:50 PM

I find Airborne to be more useful on larger maps. Getting the airborne rifle squad on the front line in the middle of a firefight can make the difference, especially if you can bring them in on the flank. Their weapons upgrades are both very strong, but need to be used properly. Cooked grenades are very difficult to dodge. Avoid retreating these squads if possible, because if you can get back to your beacons, you can reinforce in the field. The biggest thing to keep in mind is NOT to use these guys like stormtroopers. They die easily and are easily suppressed. The first instinct with the Thompson upgrade is to rush them headlong into enemy fire. Your squad will die. Use them for powerful flanks to quickly eliminate support weapons teams.

Use Pathfinders to set up DZs for your paras in strategic locations (but not right in the middle of commonly used pathways). The beacons also provide some intel on the minimap as to enemy troop movements. Pathfinders also are great at picking off low-health squads. They get a bonus from shooting at lower health units, giving them a better chance at killing models. Use them to scout, but pair them with good ranged units.

The MG and AT gun callins will help cover any weaknesses in your army if you skip a tech (which you probably should). Remember that neither of these actually come with troops though, so be sure to drop them somewhere safe. Crewing with Rear Echelon is nice b/c it's cheap.

Finally, the Rocket Strafing run is probably the strongest air support in the game. It will heavily damage tanks and make short work of infantry. The trick here is you need good vision. If you can draw them far enough into your line, target the ability behind their units along the likely retreat path for the best effect. DON'T use this ability on the Tiger tank that you catch a glimpse of for 5 seconds. Even if it's low health, you probably won't kill it.
6 Oct 2014, 17:20 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Corp.Shephard wrote a guide a little while back for using Airborne: http://www.coh2.org/guides/18903/in-before-the-blitz-airborne-company-strategy
OnCe_Ov3r uses Airborne a lot and uses it very well, so his replays are good to watch if you want to learn Airborne.
...Oh look, here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoSM_JJHYpY
6 Oct 2014, 17:28 PM

Use Pathfinders to set up DZs for your paras in strategic locations (but not right in the middle of commonly used pathways). The beacons also provide some intel on the minimap as to enemy troop movements. Pathfinders also are great at picking off low-health squads. They get a bonus from shooting at lower health units, giving them a better chance at killing models. Use them to scout, but pair them with good ranged units.

How many Pathfinders do you call in and what is your buildorder? Unfortunately Corp.Shepard does not describes them in his Guide. I really like to get better with the Airborne-Company, too.

Help is welcome...
6 Oct 2014, 17:30 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Never call in more than one pathfinder squad. You only really need them for their sight range. The rest of your manpower is better spent on paratroopers.
6 Oct 2014, 17:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2014, 17:30 PMRomeo
Never call in more than one pathfinder squad. You only really need them for their sight range. The rest of your manpower is better spent on paratroopers.

Thx Romeo. ;)

I found this "old" but interesting thread about Pathfinders or Rifleman? which helped me a lot with the build order and strategies of other CoH2.org-members.
6 Oct 2014, 18:04 PM

Thx Romeo. ;)

I found this "old" but interesting thread about Pathfinders or Rifleman? which helped me a lot with the build order and strategies of other CoH2.org-members.
Hue, after my many games with airborne, I think that one pathfinder will be okay if you have a lot of man power and it is the best counter to snipers.
6 Oct 2014, 22:35 PM

I find Airborne to be more useful on larger maps. Getting the airborne rifle squad on the front line in the middle of a firefight can make the difference, especially if you can bring them in on the flank. Their weapons upgrades are both very strong, but need to be used properly. Cooked grenades are very difficult to dodge. Avoid retreating these squads if possible, because if you can get back to your beacons, you can reinforce in the field. The biggest thing to keep in mind is NOT to use these guys like stormtroopers. They die easily and are easily suppressed. The first instinct with the Thompson upgrade is to rush them headlong into enemy fire. Your squad will die. Use them for powerful flanks to quickly eliminate support weapons teams.

The MG and AT gun callins will help cover any weaknesses in your army if you skip a tech (which you probably should). Remember that neither of these actually come with troops though, so be sure to drop them somewhere safe. Crewing with Rear Echelon is nice b/c it's cheap.

Finally, the Rocket Strafing run is probably the strongest air support in the game. It will heavily damage tanks and make short work of infantry. The trick here is you need good vision. If you can draw them far enough into your line, target the ability behind their units along the likely retreat path for the best effect. DON'T use this ability on the Tiger tank that you catch a glimpse of for 5 seconds. Even if it's low health, you probably won't kill it.

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2014, 17:30 PMRomeo

Thanks all you guys, gonna check out those replays and see what can I do to improve on my own play.
12 Oct 2014, 00:54 AM

does anyone have any good paratrooper replays? like a great paratrooper drop that flanked at just the right time to help out the main fight etc etc. I just want to see it happen.
Vaz
12 Oct 2014, 21:45 PM

Actions like that have several things stopping them. Unlike the infiltration units which deploy at any building, relic added in danger for paradrops. Sorry allied paradrops, because falls never get hurt on descent. Then the main gun is pretty junky and the upgrade time is long if you want lmg or tommy guns. So cool ass drop maneuvers to flank are going to be few and far between.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★