Login

russian armor

Gren squads 5 men?

• This thread is locked
16 Apr 2013, 11:50 AM
Honorary Member Badge

basically im wondering should gren squads be 5 men the reason im thinking this because the Germans don't have a five man squad but also they can't as easily recrew weapons due to there squad size being 4 and don't have a 5 or 6 man squad in osteer arsenal so they have send fresh squads in to pickup anything otherwise they risk/waste a squad re-crewing.
16 Apr 2013, 12:24 PM

I agree that this is a problem. I often lost the one remaining squad member when manning enemy paks during intense fights. Thats why I usually do it with inexperienced pioneers because they are the cheapest and usually have the least experience. Although it is a high XP flamer equipeed engineer then of course I take a freshly built grenadier.

If you make grenadiers 5 guys you'd have to up their cost or make other stats worse because atm grenadiers with jaeger infantry commander really shine if you got plenty of munitions.
25 May 2016, 04:26 AM

I agree that this is a problem. I often lost the one remaining squad member when manning enemy paks during intense fights. Thats why I usually do it with inexperienced pioneers because they are the cheapest and usually have the least experience. Although it is a high XP flamer equipeed engineer then of course I take a freshly built grenadier.

If you make grenadiers 5 guys you'd have to up their cost or make other stats worse because atm grenadiers with jaeger infantry commander really shine if you got plenty of munitions.

Speaking of, if you upgrade your Grens with shecks, and then ask 3 of them to recrew a Pak, does that mean one team member now has a Sheck as well as a Pak?
25 May 2016, 04:36 AM

Someone has put out a 5-men squad for Grens before, trust me, it's op as hell.
Best way to boost its efficiency would be some stats adjustment like better RoF, squad size is just too much.
25 May 2016, 05:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2016, 04:36 AMHikuran
Someone has put out a 5-men squad for Grens before, trust me, it's op as hell.
Best way to boost its efficiency would be some stats adjustment like better RoF, squad size is just too much.

Grens don't need 5th man for more dmg, they need it to more easily recrew support weapons and have more survivability against explosives. Stats can easily be adjusted.
25 May 2016, 05:36 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Grens don't need 5th man for more dmg, they need it to more easily recrew support weapons and have more survivability against explosives. Stats can easily be adjusted.

It'd take a bit of work since they'd have to mess with pretty much all of their combat stats in compensation for their new squad member and it'd be such a shame to mess with the absolutely perfect balance of early Grens vs. Scripts. Just fix them having a poor formation, Infantry Section can manage it, right?

...and then probably all of the other non-UKF 4-man squads too. The formation is probably 95% of the cons to Falls.
25 May 2016, 05:56 AM

If that's the case then OH might as well replace Gren with Volks, cuz with next patch Volk will get faust so I think 4-man squad is a characteristic of OH, any chance and they might as well become reskined OKW.
25 May 2016, 06:08 AM

Well, if your main concern is to recrew weapons, always have an extra Pioneer squad. Their sight makes them the best unit to recrew weapons, regardless of the state of Grens.
25 May 2016, 06:13 AM

I'd rather see the squad formation change rather than adding a member to the squad, and then re-balancing them.
25 May 2016, 06:17 AM

Changing the squad spacing would solve a lot of issues with explosive wipes in the mid-late game, same goes with a number of other units too.

As for grens themselves I don't think an extra man is the right way a small received accuracy buff would be much better.
25 May 2016, 06:25 AM

I can't really say that grens need an extra model early game, especially for re-crewing; it's just not that common for me to be in a situation where I need one extra model for that reason (also, use pios).

However, late game, grens REALLY need some kind of bonus. They get absolutely destroyed at all ranges by vet 3 rifles and vet 3 infantry sections, even with LMGs and their own vet 3.

I would suggest either a received accuracy buff in vet 2, or a +1 model upgrade locked behind T3. That would allow for the early game to remain unchanged, while providing grens the survivability upgrade they need in late game.
nee
25 May 2016, 06:32 AM

Interesting series of necro posts...
25 May 2016, 06:45 AM

I think that an MGupgrade, should add a fifth guy who becomes a loader, carrying some boxes with ammo, but can't shoot. And if he dies, well no problem, the MG will shoot anyway

But as other have said- fix the formation first
25 May 2016, 07:18 AM

IMO 5 men is too much for LMG42 carrier.

Other ways to address Grens problems:
- reduce reinforce cost to 28
- improve squad formation (spacing between models)
- add a little buff to rec acc at vet 3

DONE!
25 May 2016, 07:42 AM
Honorary Member Badge

this thread is SOOO OLD its not even funny its from 2013 :P its barely even relevent anymore... but i guess i won't stop you enjoy the old fossil its whats its their for ;) i stand here slightly amused :D

edit: i actually thought of a better way to deal with this issue since then. which is to make whermact re crew with 2 men and other factions 3. however this idea was made before Americans and OKW but makes it so your not on hp squad after re crewing it also asymmetricalizes the match ups slightly more making them play slightly differently. both ideas have good and bad things but this one effects the matchups and balance a whole lot less. :D

ps a crazy thought that probably way to radical is make rear echelon 6 man squads (they might actually be useful then) but that is probably insane frankly :P
25 May 2016, 07:47 AM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2016, 07:42 AMWiFiDi
this thread is SOOO OLD its not even funny its from 2013 :P its barely even relevent anymore... but i guess i won't stop you enjoy the old fossil its whats its their for ;) i stand here slightly amused :D

I was tempted to make a comment about a 5th man, until I actually did realize this was from 2013, but hey it's still relevant
25 May 2016, 08:11 AM

Holy hell it was a Necro. There is a special place in hell for people who intentionally troll others with Necros.
25 May 2016, 09:51 AM

More annoying than necro threads are users complaining in necro threads about necro threads.

"Speaking of, if you upgrade your Grens with shecks, and then ask 3 of them to recrew a Pak, does that mean one team member now has a Sheck as well as a Pak?"

Interesting question. Nobody seems to know. I guess one PzSchreck is lost (in case u are refering to PzGren which are equipped with two PzSchrecks)
25 May 2016, 14:20 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Well it's already up in the thread index so I guess it's relevant again. This thread is older than me.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★