Login

russian armor

Conscript charge/stickies?

15 Apr 2013, 20:41 PM

I noticed this during a game I played a while back. Conscripts can get a speed boosting charge AND sticky bombs (which seem to do decent damage too). Is this correct? Does it make any sense?

I had a panther which would have avoided riflemen with ease in CoH but which was mobbed by a conscript horde in no time flat. I confess that I was not necessarily paying super close attention, but I could have sworn I had some decent maneuvering room.
15 Apr 2013, 21:07 PM

I noticed this during a game I played a while back. Conscripts can get a speed boosting charge AND sticky bombs (which seem to do decent damage too). Is this correct?

Yup

Does it make any sense?

Nope

longer range than stickies too
15 Apr 2013, 21:21 PM

These are easy fixes, tbh. Both abilities are fine as far as design goes, imho. Its just a matter of fiddling with numbers, until its just right.

Conscripts are as hard as onionskin as it is.
15 Apr 2013, 23:21 PM

oorah ability makes your squad move faster (sth like sprint ability for PE PG's) and those stickies are AT nades not stickies
15 Apr 2013, 23:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge

ive had that happen but do you know how many of those it takes to kill a panther and more importantly do you know how many munis are burned when one does this.

actually had a guy do that with like 7 or so squads (maybe more.) kill my panther. :(
15 Apr 2013, 23:38 PM

biggest fail with AT nades/panzerfaust - they will still fire when ability is activated even when enemy vehicle is out of range

and each AT nade/panzerfaust have 100% chance to damage engine
16 Apr 2013, 01:53 AM

biggest fail with AT nades/panzerfaust - they will still fire when ability is activated even when enemy vehicle is out of range

and each AT nade/panzerfaust have 100% chance to damage engine

Not sure about panzerfaust, but AT nades can be dodged, like stickies. Granted, my opponent wasn't very good, but at least they aren't homing missiles.
16 Apr 2013, 02:12 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Stickies can be dodged? I don't think I've ever seen that. And AT grenades are homing like sticky bombs as far as I can tell. The best you can do is kite the infantry squad - if they manage to toss it, it'll turn 90 degrees in midair to hit you if that's what it takes.
16 Apr 2013, 04:22 AM
Coder Red Badge

AT grenades cannot be dodged once the throw animation has started. This is different from sticky bombs, which can be dodged up to the point where the sticky bomb leaves the rifle's hand, since the animation will be cancelled if the vehicle moves out of range before that point.
16 Apr 2013, 04:40 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Oh, I see. Yeah, it depends on what you call the grenade/sticky, and while neither projectile can be dodged, one of the animations (the sticky anim) can be dodged.
16 Apr 2013, 05:23 AM

The AT grenades are f*cking amazing, but they cost 30 munitions each, so when you have 5 conscript squads assaulting a tank it's going to cost you.

As it stands I'm surprised at how good the conscripts seem to be, especially when they get vetted. Sure, one squad sucks, but in a group they are devastating (and fun :P)

This game's vehicles are not on the same level as CoH1; they are cheaper, you get them faster, and they are easier to lose. A single uber unit is no longer an entire strategy. Use an MG or equivalent to cover your tank.
16 Apr 2013, 05:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2013, 04:22 AMInverse
AT grenades cannot be dodged once the throw animation has started. This is different from sticky bombs, which can be dodged up to the point where the sticky bomb leaves the rifle's hand, since the animation will be cancelled if the vehicle moves out of range before that point.

That's very weird. Was it changed? I could have sworn I dodged it, and I think I would've noticed if it was a satchel or molotov(lol). What happens if the grenade is already airborne?
16 Apr 2013, 06:40 AM

Well, I'm not going to argue that it's not balanced or something on that order. It just doesn't seem like good design at first glance.

Also you don't need to fire up 7 squads and have them all use nades to deal the damage that they really need to: an engine critical. All it takes is one. So that's what, 35 munis?

Again I'm concerned about this, but unwilling to pass judgment. Sticky rifles were balanced on a knife edge in the last game.
16 Apr 2013, 09:28 AM

I agree on this and suggest that tank nades have only 33% chance of engine crit. That way you feel good if you actually get one. You could make the nades slightly cheaper then, maybe 30 or 25.
16 Apr 2013, 20:02 PM

Again I'm concerned about this, but unwilling to pass judgment. Sticky rifles were balanced on a knife edge in the last game.

It took many patches to get them there, though. In Beta, and even before OF, they were homing missiles that would catch up to a speeding bike.

I agree on this and suggest that tank nades have only 33% chance of engine crit. That way you feel good if you actually get one. You could make the nades slightly cheaper then, maybe 30 or 25.

I'd personally give them 40% engine damage, 10-15% chance to immobilize and increase their cost. The soviets don't use nearly as much Munis as the Axis.
16 Apr 2013, 22:15 PM

I'd personally give them 40% engine damage, 10-15% chance to immobilize and increase their cost. The soviets don't use nearly as much Munis as the Axis.

Wouldn't that 10-15% on a heavy vehicle become too much of a gamble when the cost is increased?
17 Apr 2013, 01:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2013, 22:15 PMyuxin

Wouldn't that 10-15% on a heavy vehicle become too much of a gamble when the cost is increased?

Depends. You'd have to test it to see if it is. You always get the 40% engine damage, but there's also a 10-15% chance to completely immobilize it instead of just causing engine damage (essentially "critical hitting it") If its too high, then perhaps something like 5-10% chance.

Im not even sure if it is possible, its just an approximation of how I'd like them to work.

AT Nades shouldn't be a true AT measure, just a support or soft alternative to help your true AT. A tank should be dealt with AT Guns or your own tank, IF you must use a soft counter to kill it, then it should either take you more time (repeated use of STV-40's), or more resources (satchels, AT nade spam).
17 Apr 2013, 08:09 AM

you can't dodge AT nade, sometimes when you are far away from cons throwing AT nade it will hit you but deal 0 damage
18 Apr 2013, 02:16 AM

you can't dodge AT nade, sometimes when you are far away from cons throwing AT nade it will hit you but deal 0 damage

Then this, i would change, tbh. you should be able to waste miscalculated projectiles, especially those derived from munitions.

Veterancy abilities that help cause damage do. Satchels and incendiary ammo can. Molotovs, bundled grenades, even sticky bombs in the original vcoh could. AT's should, as well.
18 Apr 2013, 16:34 PM

You were able to dodge PE AT nades in CoH. I think it would only make sense that a mindful player could micro a vehicle to dodge an AT nade in CoH2
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★