Login

russian armor

Vehicle pathing 9.9 Patch

10 Sep 2014, 21:23 PM

Vehicle pathing is behaving really silly now.

Pathfinding
Vehicles will now be less likely to enter a tight spot, thereby reducing the occurrences of on-the-spot pivots

In the following example, the Jackson can't drive through the gap between the two hedges, he rather prefers the scenic route along the dotted line. (The move order is right in front of him) And i don't think thats a problem with the map...

That doesn't seem like a good solution to the on-the-spot pivot problem. The vehicle AI needs to act more foresighted, like illustrated below:

What's your experience with the improved vehicle pathing?
10 Sep 2014, 21:27 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

If anything I had gotten used to the behavior before so I knew how to work around it. Now it's bad in a different way, and I'm back to square one.
10 Sep 2014, 21:31 PM

the new pathfinding is still an improvement.

You still need to give very short and specific directions to your tanks, but atleast now its unlikely to receive an order to mean "oh ok ill do a doughnut". I'd rather it start driving somewhere else and let me correct it, rather than start doing a doughnut which i then have to spend munitions to keep the tank alive while i try to straighten it out.
10 Sep 2014, 21:31 PM

Love the picture.

And at least reversing feels like reversing and not a random break dance initiation.
10 Sep 2014, 21:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

I haven't played enough to really say, but I'm in the same boat as romeo - back at square one. The vehicle path finding in this game drives me crazy.
10 Sep 2014, 21:44 PM
Donator 11

played too little games in this patch to tell how frustrating it is. But what i really hate and its been in the game since release is that you order vehicle to move forward and when it completes the order its faced backwards or sideways. really frustrating.
10 Sep 2014, 22:03 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Those pictures!! xD

On topic: I haven't yet had a map like semois that gives these "lol" moments, im sure it will pop up soon tho.
10 Sep 2014, 22:09 PM

this game is so infuriating to play.
10 Sep 2014, 23:07 PM

picture <444>3
10 Sep 2014, 23:13 PM

Tbh, plotting unit paths with lots of shift-rightclick (or an AutoHotey script) is probably still the best solution (by avoiding the pathfinding AI).

I wonder how the pathfinding AI works. Right now it seems to accept stationary turns as valid solutions because those are the shortest route when it could do a few more iterations and find a much faster route (without all the stops and stationary turns).
11 Sep 2014, 05:01 AM

I've experienced some really strange vehicle behaviour in maps such as Lienne Forest.

Later on in the game the same path seemed to work better, ie. the vehicle in question wasn't taking a detour through the enemy base flak emplacements.
Earlier even careful shift-clicking couldn't get the vehicle to move in to the designated spot properly.

I hope this new vehicle pathing doesn't turn out to be as inconsistent as it seems.
11 Sep 2014, 05:12 AM

This is exactly the same problem that I was having in exactly the same spot with exactly the same vehicle. I posted about it in the other thread.

the new pathfinding is still an improvement.

You still need to give very short and specific directions to your tanks, but atleast now its unlikely to receive an order to mean "oh ok ill do a doughnut". I'd rather it start driving somewhere else and let me correct it, rather than start doing a doughnut which i then have to spend munitions to keep the tank alive while i try to straighten it out.

An improvement is stretching it. You can't actually force the Jackson to move through that spot, no matter how much microing you do. It will quite simply refuse.

The other thing I've been noticing (and I'm not sure if this is patch related) is that units will take very strange retreat paths on occasion. Instead of taking the most direct route, they'll run perpendicular to my base for no reason at all and then head back - often through enemy formations, which drives me up the wall.
11 Sep 2014, 05:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 05:12 AMCrysack

The other thing I've been noticing (and I'm not sure if this is patch related) is that units will take very strange retreat paths on occasion. Instead of taking the most direct route, they'll run perpendicular to my base for no reason at all and then head back - often through enemy formations, which drives me up the wall.

THIS. This happened to me sometimes last patch. I send a squad forward from my base and then i retreat it. Instead of retreating straight backwards where my base is (and the most direct route from where it came from), the squad blitzes left into a sturmpioneer squad and gets wiped (my opponent was extremely suprised as well). Pathing SUCKS and retreat is pretty broken as well.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★