Login

russian armor

MG's in houses suck

24 Aug 2014, 10:26 AM

I'm new to coh2, and this is my first post about this kind of stuff.
I really laught at mgs in coh2 (on field, not in houses).. set-up is WAY to short, it's WAY too fast.. range is too big, well it feels good on 3v3 4v4 maps, but shooting half of the map on small 1v1 map is bad.
Switching targets is too fast too, long range suppress is too easy, short range suppress is too easy, switching man crew is too fast.
Most of the mgs are concerned I guess.

24 Aug 2014, 10:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2014, 10:26 AMPepsi
I'm new to coh2, and this is my first post about this kind of stuff.
I really laught at mgs in coh2 (on field, not in houses).. set-up is WAY to short, it's WAY too fast.. range is too big, well it feels good on 3v3 4v4 maps, but shooting half of the map on small 1v1 map is bad.
Switching targets is too fast too, long range suppress is too easy, short range suppress is too easy, switching man crew is too fast.
Most of the mgs are concerned I guess.

MG42 - Set-up a bit long, range big , switching targets REALLY slow, long range supress really bad, almost need 2-3 burst to supress an incoming enemy squad, switching man crew is bugged, sometimes it is fast and sometimes slow.

MG34 - Set-up as same as 42, range big, switching targets slow, long range supress EXCELLENT, switching man crew as same as 42.

Maxim - Set-up so damn fast that it is a bit hard to flank a skilled player, range big but firing cone is small, switching targets fast, long range supress sometimes 2 burst needed, but the time between burst is so short that almost insta supresses, short range supress excellent, switching man crew a bit slow, IMO. Cant supress blobs.
25 Aug 2014, 15:28 PM

The MG42 and MG24's wide arc of range is actually a drawback, or at best meaningless. They train their gun barrels so slowly that a spread out squad can actually lose suppression while the MG is changing targets. At the very least, its slow enough to allow a second squad to march to melee range.

The cone of fire is not the range in which the MG suppresses or locks down crossing infantry, but just where it can potentially shoot enemies, if it is seen quick enough, and if they charge directly into the gun barrel.

Otherwise, walking right up through edges of the cone is not a problem at all. The Axis MGs have no chance of repositioning in combat unless being covered by another mg that's already set up and facing the correct path. The difference between the Maxim and MG42s is that the Maxim can actually reposition to suppress a second, flanking squad. MG42s have to be committed from the first bullet to the last, or they are completely worthless. With that in mind, they're facing molotovs and shocks' smoke grenades, so the odds that this will happen is reliably negligible.

The cone is pretty much a deceiving visualization due to how MGs actually behave. No Axis MG can actually cover it's cone of fire, whereas the maxim's cone is a more accurate representation of what ALL the mg's actually do ingame. For the most part, only the dotted line with the arrow matters.
25 Aug 2014, 15:31 PM

Also, the vet 1 mg42 ability is pretty much a free 'advance on this mg position' anytime it's used because the mg has to do the full reload animation before firing which takes like ten seconds. It makes sense at first, but to use it effectively you have to preemptively use it a few seconds before the enemy begins its advance, else you waste munis and watch the timer tick down.
25 Aug 2014, 19:55 PM
Patrion 27

The cone is pretty much a deceiving visualization due to how MGs actually behave. No Axis MG can actually cover it's cone of fire, whereas the maxim's cone is a more accurate representation of what ALL the mg's actually do ingame. For the most part, only the dotted line with the arrow matters.

Did you know that you can manually target squads with MGs when they are set-up? Honest question. Also take a look at the veterancy for MGs:

Vet 2 +20% Suppression +30% Horizontal Traverse
Vet 3 +20% ROF +30% Accuracy +10% Horizontal Traverse

all dat horizontal traverse.

Also, the vet 1 mg42 ability is pretty much a free 'advance on this mg position' anytime it's used because the mg has to do the full reload animation before firing which takes like ten seconds. It makes sense at first, but to use it effectively you have to preemptively use it a few seconds before the enemy begins its advance, else you waste munis and watch the timer tick down.

That is why you suppress first then activate Incendiary Rounds. The ability is fantastic (and there is a 10% faster reload bulletin)

25 Aug 2014, 21:51 PM

Did you know that you can manually target squads with MGs when they are set-up?

Something I usually really wouldn't dare though, because if you accidentally misclick you just made your Machine Gun desetup, usually with terrible consequences.
25 Aug 2014, 21:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 21:51 PMgokkel

Something I usually really wouldn't dare though, because if you accidentally misclick you just made your Machine Gun desetup, usually with terrible consequences.
Playing FPS like CS:GO helps you to be accurate with your clicking. Trust me.
25 Aug 2014, 21:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 21:51 PMgokkel

You can click on the target within the cone and click stop, they will switch the target, but will not resetup if it leaves the cone or retreats.

A lil trick I use to avoid loss of control over setup teams.
25 Aug 2014, 21:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 21:54 PMKatitof

You can click on the target within the cone and click stop, they will switch the target, but will not resetup if it leaves the cone or retreats.

Do they actually resetup if the target leaves the cone? I never had that happen to me and I micro my MGs a lot.
25 Aug 2014, 22:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 21:54 PMKatitof

That is a good advice, I actually do that as well, but I really just mean when there is something standing in the firing cone and you just want to click on it, the hitboxes seem to be a bit tricky in this game sometimes.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 21:53 PMsteel
Playing FPS like CS:GO helps you to be accurate with your clicking. Trust me.

Yeah, as I say, there just seems to be something with this game sometimes...
26 Aug 2014, 07:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 22:55 PMgokkel
Ah, so that's what you meant. Yea, the game decides to troll us with the hitbox when clicking (clickbox?) the enemy. I remember trying to click on a horde of riflemen and failed because of that.
26 Aug 2014, 07:56 AM

so if you have your mg in a building and you click on a target it will reload before firing even if it dosent have to change window?
26 Aug 2014, 08:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 21:57 PMsteel
Do they actually resetup if the target leaves the cone? I never had that happen to me and I micro my MGs a lot.

If you tell them to attack specific squad and that squad leaves the cone, MG will try to resetup to fire at targeted squad. Same case with AT guns.
26 Aug 2014, 13:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2014, 08:23 AMKatitof

If you tell them to attack specific squad and that squad leaves the cone, MG will try to resetup to fire at targeted squad. Same case with AT guns.
Only happens to AT guns for me. Maybe because I keep hitting the stop button after telling my men to shoot someone that I don't even notice I hit the stop button anymore.
26 Aug 2014, 14:03 PM

You have to put them in the right houses. Not on the front line and preferably covering an approach. I used to think they sucked indoors too until I learned where to use them.
26 Aug 2014, 16:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2014, 07:56 AMAbdul
so if you have your mg in a building and you click on a target it will reload before firing even if it dosent have to change window?

as far as i know, its only when they change windows. that pause youre seeing could just be the slow weapon traverse.
26 Aug 2014, 16:26 PM

The caveat with targeting individual squads with a set up MG is that one misclick means it's going to pack up and essentially commit suicide.

For, say, grenadiers, misclicking through the elbow of an enemy squad just means my grens all charge out of cover and dilly dally like idiots until I can get them to properly shoot the intended target.

For an MG, it means ten seconds of useless combat, meaning a likely zero chance of suppressing any advancing unit.

As far as using its vet 1 ability, I've had many squads be able to unsuppress or crawl within range to molotov or grenade the MG squad before they ever get more than one burst of heat rounds off. Reloading, (and if necessary having to reposition to avoid death by fire) generally eats up 75% of the ability's timer. Not to mention the MG usually likes to aim for a few seconds before firing one burst and waiting a few more seconds. This is assuming the gunner doesn't get shot, in which case god knows when the other crew member will decide it's time to get control of the gun.

And then they have to reload when its over.

Now, that complaining aside, I do honestly like the ability when it works correctly, it's just when combined with the prohibitive pack up and set up time, then with the reloading time AND the aiming time, the Axis MGs don't really perform that well. The ability is only good at just killing infantry squads that are just left to get shot at by the MG. (Which usually means a flank is incoming, but that's another story.)

But my point is, it takes more than enough time for enemy squads to either just waltz right up front to the MG, or at the very least to within nade range. Even in a great position it is far too slow to react to any light vehicle unless it just parks itself in front of the gun barrel and waits.
26 Aug 2014, 16:30 PM

The caveat with targeting individual squads with a set up MG is that one misclick means it's going to pack up and essentially commit suicide.

you can always press A then click on the squad. if you miss, the mg will just have an attack move order (but since its already set up with units in the arc, it just keeps shooting). if you click the squad, they target it.
26 Aug 2014, 16:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2014, 16:30 PMwooof

you can always press A then click on the squad. if you miss, the mg will just have an attack move order (but since its already set up with units in the arc, it just keeps shooting). if you click the squad, they target it.

that's a really good tip
26 Aug 2014, 16:42 PM

True, that might work, will try it in future.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★