Login

russian armor

6p Rock Quarry

23 Aug 2014, 02:11 AM

Work In Progress

6p Rock Quarry Workshop

OUT OF DATE TERRITORY MAP SCREENSHOT, UPDATE SOONER OR LATER

Description:
An old Rock Quarry, abandoned and forgotten, was the ideal location for testing new German Weapons. After discovering anomalous magnetic readings, the Germans began conducting experiments, which set off a massive magnetic event. The allies have caught wind of this facilty, and are now racing to have it for their own. 4-8-15-16-23-42

Summary:
Most of the sectors are excessively right angled and symmetric. That might change, but it might not. The setting is in a small strip mine rock quarry, which naturally has a lot of straight lines. It was dug out of a river bed, after damming the flow. A recent air strike destroyed the small dam, and flooded the basin, leaving a mess of mud and debris. This was my attempt to design a map with Mud Tech center stage, while attempting tournament style game play. There is some unit routing, but no extreme choke points. The "south" fuel point is also an additional off map reinforcement location, but the only way for vehicles to get down from that sector is to travel the south road around to the munition points, after repairing the appropriate bridges'. There are a few stair ways for infantry access around the map.

Issues:
The auxiliary off map reinforcement location, can be trouble at times, calling in a vehicle too close will result in them coming from the aux location, requiring a long diversion to get them too the front. I am considering adding in ramps to accommodate vehicles to get down quickly, but it would take away from the importance of bridge repair. It would be nice if we had infantry only off map reinforcement points, but none the less....

Completion: 40% Lacks Splats, moderate cover, moderate object detail, minimum Tile painting. Playable

(additional screenshots will be posted soon)
23 Aug 2014, 14:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I checked out your map and it's definitely a cool idea but I don't really like how you made the approaches to the fuel points. It has basically only one approeach that can easily be locked down by mgs and atguns. I would suggest opening a way from the middle to get to the fuel.

Also the territory lines are glowing? :P
23 Aug 2014, 15:07 PM

Not sure about the glowing territory lines, I don't experience that. I will add the extra openings to the fuel though, that sounds like a great idea actually, along with a few more.
23 Aug 2014, 15:36 PM
Donator 11

I've just played the map, good idea and so much inspirition to play with!
There's a "Coal Elevator" between the indrustial objects that would fit this map perfectly I think.

You could also add an railroad where the "rocks" would've been tranfered with, or you could add "Dora Cargo" between the railroad objects.
something like this?:

You can also add allot of rocks around the map with piles of rocks/sand for cover :D!

No criticisms, just ideas!
23 Aug 2014, 22:16 PM

So this is what Ive come up with, in regards to both suggestions...(workshop updated with a few tweaks not shown in screenshot, for pathfinding fixes.)
23 Aug 2014, 23:09 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Compare the territory lines, in fact all the icons that appear when using your mouse are glowing.

23 Aug 2014, 23:15 PM

It must be something in the atmosphere settings. I'm using a modified version of a premade, to include rain, and nighttime. Thanks for the clarification!
24 Aug 2014, 04:34 AM

So i completely loaded a new atmosphere setting, and it still seems to glow a little, but since its day light, it is not as noticeable. I'm not sure what setting does that, but its not a big concern of mine. If you run across it, let me know.
11 Sep 2014, 02:44 AM

I think it's under FX or Exposure that you can adjust "blur".

(Should be kept at "1" I believe... Just took that extra second to make sure - and it's Blur Threshold under "Exposure")
29 Sep 2014, 10:44 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

MU south / north west. In an elevated position, I do not see well. Who is at building will prove difficult to capture the point.

Rivers in capture points are better narrow and shallow as '2p_crossing_in_the_woods'

Ramps:
-(1) You could remove spawn. This can cause conflicts.
-(2) Ramps. Tank access to this areas is very important.
-(Blue) Objects block the tanks.
- Maybe VPs in the center?? (middle clean to VP)
Ramps in middle

Good job
31 Jan 2015, 20:57 PM

I removed the spawn in the center, but added two in the corners by the munitions. They are default spawns, so you can call in units from the beginning in those locations. This also changed the cutoff sectors, so now there is 2 on each side. This should making isolating a team early game much more difficult.

I changed the ramps on the center right, and simplified it close to what you suggested. I didn't change the ramps on the left, as I wanted to judge the change of flow one step at a time. I may revisit that idea later.

I moved the VP's around a bit, similar to your suggestion as well, but left the fuel centralized as well, to keep the front line contested. I left the water as is, it's purpose being preventing barbwire/tank trapping the center to an impassible state.

Map is at about 90%-95% complete. The majority of details are in place. The recent changed may result in some balance adjustments, but the bulk of work is done. Out of bounds details, and artwork remains to be completed.

Sorry for the late response, as I was changing jobs at the time, and spent most of my focus on that.

Thank you VERY MUCH, for your input. I hope these changes yield positive results. My maps don't get much attention. ;P

EDIT: Feb 1, 2015

I changed the ramps on the left side to make them bigger, and cleaned up the rubble around the middle VP.
1 - Ramps on Left opened up, more access.
2 - Ramps on right Opened up, more access.
3 - Cleaned up the center rubble, more access.
F - Fuel Points remained in place.
* - Victory points across the center line axis.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★