Login

russian armor

Too much RNG

15 Aug 2014, 14:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Abandons are fine, the only thing that annoys me is seeing vehicles take multiple critical hits before getting destroyed.
Like: vehicle at 0hp% main gun destroyed > engine damage > abandonded.
15 Aug 2014, 14:26 PM

Just to clarify my intention; I don't want to remove RNG as it is one of the key aspects that makes the game unique. I didn't list infantry combat/scatter/accuracy/squad wipes and penetration because of this. Only those what have a big impact on the game and are outside of the player's skill.

Like calling in a P-47 to kill a half dead Tiger. Then somehow the Tiger's top gunner one-shots the P-47 before it could even fire a few rockets. Tell me how it's L2P issue or doesn't a game changer moment?

Or you are chasing an IS-2 with almost zero into the enemy lines (risking the live of your P4), you can't destroy the enemy 'cuz of the 5% bug, 1st: main-gun destroyed then the rest of the crits, while your P4 gets abandoned thanks to an ATG. Now the enemy has 2 tanks.

Call-ing Osttruppens from mobile defence; sometimes they come with vet3 and lmgs, sometimes you get nothing but 2 useless squads. Same with the OKW's P4s.

An AT-nade penetrates your KT's front armor and destroys the engine.

Or these video, I'm sure most of you saw this. It is funny at some points but it's retarded to have something like this happening:

http://www.twitch.tv/rogers1337/c/4532046

and this at 35:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdKwBUdkT7Y
15 Aug 2014, 14:41 PM

Squad wipes from one shot make me feel sick!
15 Aug 2014, 16:11 PM
Donator 11

Just to clarify my intention; I don't want to remove RNG as it is one of the key aspects that makes the game unique. I didn't list infantry combat/scatter/accuracy/squad wipes and penetration because of this. Only those what have a big impact on the game and are outside of the player's skill.

Like calling in a P-47 to kill a half dead Tiger. Then somehow the Tiger's top gunner one-shots the P-47 before it could even fire a few rockets. Tell me how it's L2P issue or doesn't a game changer moment?

Or you are chasing an IS-2 with almost zero into the enemy lines (risking the live of your P4), you can't destroy the enemy 'cuz of the 5% bug, 1st: main-gun destroyed then the rest of the crits, while your P4 gets abandoned thanks to an ATG. Now the enemy has 2 tanks.

Call-ing Osttruppens from mobile defence; sometimes they come with vet3 and lmgs, sometimes you get nothing but 2 useless squads. Same with the OKW's P4s.

An AT-nade penetrates your KT's front armor and destroys the engine.

Or these video, I'm sure most of you saw this. It is funny at some points but it's retarded to have something like this happening:

http://www.twitch.tv/rogers1337/c/4532046

and this at 35:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdKwBUdkT7Y

The airplane crashing his tank is what makes coh coh for me. It is so rare those things happen it doesnt ruin the competative side for me at all. AT grenades and fausts are the worst since engine damage is a really big deal, worked much better in vcoh where stickies was really easy to dodge.

The Sherman video was basicly rogers constantly moving his tank, tanks gets huge accuracy penalty against infantry when moving.
15 Aug 2014, 16:23 PM

The only RNG I despise is call-ins with random veterecy. It remembers me of that vCoH doctrine where you called-in random units.

Also, heavy engine damage should be reserved to mines.
15 Aug 2014, 16:30 PM

at grenades and faust should not damage an engine from the front. this has bugged me allot. the 5% bug needs to go. it seems that the pintle mount mg's either 1 shot or dont do anything to planes, also needs to be changed.
Vaz
15 Aug 2014, 16:50 PM

I don't get 5% bug. I get rounds that don't penetrate.
15 Aug 2014, 16:54 PM
Donator 11

I think what bugs me the most is one shot squad wipes, much annoying.
15 Aug 2014, 16:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2014, 16:50 PMVaz
I don't get 5% bug. I get rounds that don't penetrate.

i have definitely have had heavies that just wont die like in first coh. using heavies allot in 4v4, i can say this bug does still exist and can happen on all heavies.
15 Aug 2014, 17:20 PM

i have definitely have had heavies that just wont die like in first coh. using heavies allot in 4v4, i can say this bug does still exist and can happen on all heavies.

That is still a bad RNG on penetration.

5% bug never existed in coh2. Only main gun and or engine destroyed at low hp.
15 Aug 2014, 17:28 PM

Katitof, it is the 5% bug, getting crits at almost zero health instead of dying. And it exits in coh2.
15 Aug 2014, 19:15 PM

Katitof, it is the 5% bug, getting crits at almost zero health instead of dying. And it exits in coh2.

That's not a bug, as far as I'm aware. I'm fairly certain that this is entirely deliberate.

Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but ever since CoH2 beta launched shots to a vehicle that would kill can allow the vehicle to live, based on a small percentage chance, if they instead take one of a range of critical damages.

I mean, AFAIK it's the only way some of these crits are even capable of happening. I've never seen a main weapon destroyed that wasn't in lieu of a tank exploding outright.

Frustrating, yes. Bug, no. Bad idea, I'd say yes.
15 Aug 2014, 19:36 PM

death is considered a crit. for most vehicles, there is a 75% chance to die, 10% chance for a destroyed engine crit, 10% chance for a main gun crit and 5% chance for abandoned. so 20% of the time, your vehicle can survive a hit that should have killed it. this can happen even if a vehicle had 1 hp and got hit by a jagdtiger for 320 damage. it could actually happen twice in a row if you were lucky/unlucky enough (losing both its gun and engine) but thats only a 1% chance.
15 Aug 2014, 19:56 PM

No, it is not bug, it is exactly what you've said-getting crits instead of dying.

Since you don't seem to remember what 5% bug was, let me enlight you:

Back there, in coh1 the 5% bug occured when tank was supposed to die and magically started randomly deflecting all shots, not getting crits and considering the fact that back in coh1 deflected shots also did damage, the tank was still not dying as it should.

There is nothing like this in coh2, there is a set % chance for criticals instead of damage when below certain health threshold.
15 Aug 2014, 20:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think of Coh2 at some points like playing poker. You take calculated risks. While luck (RNG) is a factor, you can mitigate it with skill.

Regarding what you mention OP:
-If there is anything i would change at the moment is removing the chance to cause a heavy engine damage with AT nades/Faust at a healthy tank. Only with an already engine damage, ram (from behind), and mines this should happen.
-Flamer: increase explosion chances with explosives, remove it from small arm fire.

16 Aug 2014, 19:27 PM

I think what we are really arguing about is not whether or not RNG is good but if Relic implemented RNG appropriately for it to be a good competitive game. In this respect I don't think Relic did a good job with the RNG.

There is too much of a difference between having a full HP tank get a engine destroyed or no effect at all that could change the outcome of the game, because of this poor play may be rewarded if the player is lucky enough, like rushing a tank in a suicide rush bounce off all AT rounds and kill every thing behind. There is also a chance where a player that outsmart his opponent only to have his shots bounce of the rear repeatedly.

These maybe extreme cases but this is the game where the unlikely things may occur.

Things I would like to see removed are flame crits, especially when the flamethrower squads have a chance of have their flamethrower explode on them even if the squad is at full hp.

Inaccurate mortars that does massive damage. In vCoH the mortars have a much smaller barrage circle and most of the rounds falling fall in the circle as opposed to the German mortar that sometimes fall way off the circle. A smaller circle with less damage will make mortars more consistent because even though mortars do less damage they hit more often giving the player a time to escape but would be dangerous if he stayed there too long. There has been too many times i've seen players just stick there mg in one place without moving it and mortars are just falling all around it.

There are also other things to mention but these are some of my main grips.

Also squad wiping mines, Jeezus they still do that. I don't see this game being a good esport game when RNG has been poorly implemented to this game. Relic should fix this game first.
16 Aug 2014, 22:41 PM

Hmmmm, I honestly don't think RNG is the problem here, it's more game design and the way units act sometimes in certain positions/places on the map/cover they're put next to or in front of.
17 Aug 2014, 01:01 AM

Today I was beating an OKW on Semois as Soviets. I used 1 T-34/76, 2 KV-8s and finally an IS-2...

He blobbed schreks and pumped out a panther and managed to decrew my T-34 and a KV-8...in a row...

My IS-2 hit the field just in time to destroy the Panther, the KV-8 he stole and to help secure recew of my T-34...

His Panther certainly didn't decrew for me...

It's okay because I won handedly...but if my IS-2 was even 30 seconds late...He would have likely won with my KV-8 and T-34 taken back for repairs...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight