Login

russian armor

The Usf's need for elite infrantry

14 Aug 2014, 03:15 AM

Permanently Banned
Soviets get shocks and guards. Shocks are especially good because they scale well in mid and late game even with lack of AT abilities.

I Believe that rifles don't scale well into late game. When fighting units with more HP and DPS like obers or falls. They simply melt.

A unit that preferably comes at 2cp's like shock troops. Airborne come to late to be effective IMO.

A unit that can be used early enough to help and last to the late game.

And like shock available for many commanders.

Does anyone agree?
14 Aug 2014, 03:17 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Green cover + BARs = hooray Riflemen. I'm also not sure why you think Airborne come too late - if you're fighting Obersoldaten surely you have Airborne by that time.
14 Aug 2014, 03:24 AM

Paratroopers with browning's are terminators. They fire on the move, suppress on the move and kill everything with exception of maybe vetted obers.

I believe rangers would be added at some point, but thats is. Playing USF means playing rifles. If you want shocks play soviets.
14 Aug 2014, 03:25 AM

Permanently Banned
Green cover + BARs = hooray Riflemen. I'm also not sure why you think Airborne come too late - if you're fighting Obersoldaten surely you have Airborne by that time.

Most green cover is gone in the late game. and Airborne dont scale that well either.

One fall squad can sit in yellow cover as i attack with 2 squads of BAR'd rifles. My rifles barley win most of the time.

But i have to retreat and end up fighting more elite troops as the game progresses

2 airborne squads hurt MP income so bad that they are almost not worth getting.
14 Aug 2014, 03:30 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2014, 03:24 AMJadame!
Paratroopers with browning's are terminators. They fire on the move, suppress on the move and kill everything with exception of maybe vetted obers.

I believe rangers would be added at some point, but thats is. Playing USF means playing rifles. If you want shocks play soviets.

I dont believe u have use paratroopers very often. One squad of falls eat up paratroops. On top of that they are rarely unsupported.

Even supported airborne get eaten up by axis elite troops
14 Aug 2014, 03:35 AM

I am positive we will see Rangers in the next commander batch.
14 Aug 2014, 03:37 AM

Airborne upgraded with anything (including the recently buffed 4x Thompsons) will tear through the enemy. Besides, the M1A1 Carbines that they tote off the bat are pretty good combined with the 6-man squad.

They're glorified Riflemen, sure, but they come with an extra man, the ability to be called in anywhere, reinforce from Beacons, and get Thompsons and M1919A6s. They're a match for any Axis infantry.
14 Aug 2014, 03:39 AM

Permanently Banned
Airborne upgraded with anything (including the recently buffed 4x Thompsons) will tear through the enemy. Besides, the M1A1 Carbines that they tote off the bat are pretty good combined with the 6-man squad.

They're glorified Riflemen, sure, but they come with an extra man, the ability to be called in anywhere, reinforce from Beacons, and get Thompsons and M1919A6s. They're a match for any Axis infantry.

Again. they come too late to really help. they are almost useless when fighting falls and obers.(they are rarley unsupported) Even with upgrades
14 Aug 2014, 03:52 AM

errr you do realize falls are 3cp just like paras? also obers come much later than 3cp no matter how fast you tech.
14 Aug 2014, 03:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2014, 03:24 AMJadame!

+1, also upgraded vetted rifles can go toe to toe with elite infantry themselves.

Pls l2p instead of posting constantly how USF is UP, how they need this and that and so on. I remeber how you complained on stream how Ez8s are bad against Tigers until CieZ proved you with stats they are better AT than t34/85s...
14 Aug 2014, 03:57 AM

+1, also upgraded vetted rifles can go toe to toe with elite infantry themselves.

Pls l2p instead of posting constantly how USF is UP, how they need this and that and so on. I remeber how you complained on stream how Ez8s are bad against Tigers until CieZ proved you with stats they are better AT than t34/85s...

+1
14 Aug 2014, 03:59 AM

Paras do the job as far as elite infantry go, but at a pretty prohibitive cost. 440 MP + ammo upgrade to bring up to snuff makes them the most expensive infantry unit in the entire game. Sure, they tear shit up, but by the 3 CP mark you start to see vehicles against which they are completely helpless. Making them 2 CP would make them more attractive to a faction that can easily get MP starved.

Apart from that, I do feel Rifles rely a lot on Infantry or Rifle companies for proper scaling. Without free vet or the all powerful 1919s, their scaling doesn't compare with elite infantry. I almost think the Major should unlock something to help them. Perhaps increase Rifle global combat stats as the Major increases in veterancy? Nothing major (eh), just some durability bonuses, since they drop like flies. And I don't want it to be a proximity aura, those just encourage blobbing.
14 Aug 2014, 04:08 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Paras do the job as far as elite infantry go, but at a pretty prohibitive cost. 440 MP + ammo upgrade to bring up to snuff makes them the most expensive infantry unit in the entire game. Sure, they tear shit up, but by the 3 CP mark you start to see vehicles against which they are completely helpless. Making them 2 CP would make them more attractive to a faction that can easily get MP starved.

Paratroopers are 390MP. Obers arrive later than 3CP unless you rush them, and nobody says they're bad because vehicles appear long before they arrive. Paras are the same, they rip up anything on two legs with LMGs, and with any form of anti-tank support are very potent- not to mention, they have exactly the same reinforce cost as normal riflemen, so they contribute nothing more than a normal rifle squad to 'MP bleed'.

Apart from that, I do feel Rifles rely a lot on Infantry or Rifle companies for proper scaling. Without free vet or the all powerful 1919s, their scaling doesn't compare with elite infantry. I almost think the Major should unlock something to help them. Perhaps increase Rifle global combat stats as the Major increases in veterancy? Nothing major (eh), just some durability bonuses, since they drop like flies. And I don't want it to be a proximity aura, those just encourage blobbing.

Rifles are basic infantry- slightly more expensive basic infantry, with the greatest variety of upgrades in the game. You can't expect them to scale to elite infantry level- that's what elite infantry are for (though with M1919s and their HMG mode they're pretty much elite infantry already). Grens do scale better, but that's more to do with LMGs being really good at the moment. And as a 5 man squad they are more durable than grenadiers anyway (even though vet 3 bonuses aren't as large iirc the extra man makes up for it).
14 Aug 2014, 04:22 AM
Patrion 15

Enough with the threads on how the USF need to be the Soviets 2.0 already.

I personally would like the factions to maintain their own sense of identity, instead of homogenizing all of them to the point that we're all playing mirror factions with different skins.

If you don't like the USF play style, pick a different faction. If you want elite infantry, play the soviets or OKW. If you want late game heavies, the USF isn't the faction for you. If you want a fluid and dynamic army with a strong early game and a late game that requires lots of finesse and micro, then hell yeah get on board with the USF.
14 Aug 2014, 04:33 AM

Permanently Banned
Enough with the threads on how the USF need to be the Soviets 2.0 already.

I personally would like the factions to maintain their own sense of identity, instead of homogenizing all of them to the point that we're all playing mirror factions with different skins.

If you don't like the USF play style, pick a different faction. If you want elite infantry, play the soviets or OKW. If you want late game heavies, the USF isn't the faction for you. If you want a fluid and dynamic army with a strong early game and a late game that requires lots of finesse and micro, then hell yeah get on board with the USF.

Thank you for being constructive......
14 Aug 2014, 04:50 AM

I don't see how the US faction lacks elite infantry or if they need elite infantry. The riflemen is the most powerful standard infantry in the game, and they can be upgraded with m1919s which pretty much makes them as powerful as an elite infantry.

Does the Germans also need an elite infantry of their own? Everyone just uses Grenadiers which riflemen with m1919s are way more powerful.

The airborne have an incredibly high dps and can even suppress without using any short of ability.
14 Aug 2014, 04:55 AM

Permanently Banned
I don't see how the US faction lacks elite infantry or if they need elite infantry. The riflemen is the most powerful standard infantry in the game, and they can be upgraded with m1919s which pretty much makes them as powerful as an elite infantry.

Does the Germans also need an elite infantry of their own? Everyone just uses Grenadiers which riflemen with m1919s are way more powerful.

The airborne have an incredibly high dps and can even suppress without using any short of ability.

I agree. But then i would argue that 1919's should be available for more commanders
14 Aug 2014, 04:57 AM
Patrion 15

Thank you for being constructive......

Sorry for being a little salty, here is my opinion a little more in depth.

The faction isn't designed to punch you in the mouth with elite infantry. You have weapon upgrades for your rifles to help them scale into the late game. As has been mentioned before, paras w/ m1919s are amazing, arrive before obers, can deploy anywhere, and reinforce in the field at the same cost as rifles. The infantry commander basically turns your rifles into elite infantry at the same cost of an LMG or BAR.

An argument could be made that the strength of rifleman (and the USF in general) needs to be a little less polarizing, with their early game toned down and their scaling increased, but this would take away much of the flavor of the faction. In 1v1s this creates a really fun and interesting dynamic.

In team games it is much harder to really push your early game advantage, and many players feel frustrated when playing the USF because you really can't afford to sit back and let the battle come to you. The clock is ticking, and you need to win early. The USF is not an easy faction to play, and I think giving them units that deliberately fill the intended holes of the faction is going to be bad for balance and design. Giving the USF a Pershing would be insane, because no other faction has access to such a versatile T4 to back it up with. Just as giving the USF elite infantry would be over the top because they already have so much flexibility with their rifleman and their upgrades, it would feel redundant imo.
14 Aug 2014, 04:58 AM

i dont see a need for US to get elite infantry. they scale extremely well and become pseudo elites with upgrades, just like grenadiers.

more importantly its the soviet elites that are not matching up to the lmg spam ostheer is so capable of.
14 Aug 2014, 05:02 AM

As someone who plays Airborne almost for all of my games now, they are as good as any elite inf call-in. Paras with LMGs do not come too late at all and will beat almost any ost/okw inf squad you throw at it, with the exception of a vet 4 obers squad. Even then, if a para LMG squad is in creen cover and a vet 4 obersquad comes at a vet 3 para lmg squad, the para lmg squad will probably win.

I look foward to a Ranger company commander and am eager to see how they will play out as well.

4 Rifles -> Captain -> Stuart -> Paras -> ATG, mix in a .50cal in the mix somewhere in there is a safe and effective para build, assuming you lose no units in the early game will leave you in a very strong position.

Also the ability to drop paras anywhere on the field is also quite powerful, despite the massive landing circle into the FOW, I have rarely lost more than 1 model if any.

e: For the record, thommy paras just aren't as good as LMG paras. I recommend never get them unless you are on a CQC map and feel like messing about, they absolutely wreck when standing still and up close, but they seem to have disproportionately low accuracy (and subsequently low dps) when firing on the move, I don't know the actual stats but it sure seems like it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★