Login

russian armor

Plane crashes

6 Aug 2014, 17:57 PM

In some way I find it really cool that planes crash and can do some damage, but I think it may be a bit too random and too impactful for such things to make sense in this game.

I already often lost squads to crashing planes, but today I had an especially absurd example.

My King Tiger was being repaired at some point while standing still; the enemy player called in the American rocket plane to attack the King Tiger during this (he got vision from a Scout plane or something like that, there were no enemy units around). The King Tiger was now already at full health when the rockets came in, which didn't do awfully much to my King Tiger as it was not driving into the rockets (this is when the ability would do significant damage), however my T4 truck Flak cannon shot the plane down just after the rockets have been fired and the plane crashed directly into my King Tiger. While the King Tiger was at full health and only slightly damaged by the rockets, the plane brought it down to only a tiny amount of health, and it also killed the Sturmpioneer squad that first survived the rocket strike.

So if my King Tiger was not at full health by the time this happened, I would have lost the whole tank just because of some incredibly random incident that you have not much control over. A tank with a smaller hit pool would be destroyed even at full health.

I think it would be best if the effect of planes crashing was at least reduced significantly, if they don't want to completely remove this aspect of the game, because it is in some way quite fun and exciting I admit.
6 Aug 2014, 18:01 PM

Yeah they do do a huge amount of damage. Maybe a damage reduction?

6 Aug 2014, 18:03 PM

I love it and its very random like you say, ive seen them hit atgs at perfect times.

Its one of the good things in the game, i just wish there was more planes.

Maybe add some abilities to the HQ or something instead of having everything on the commander choice.

6 Aug 2014, 18:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I like it. It's so incredibly rare that the crash actually hits anything that it's that much more amazing when it does happen. I've been totally screwed over by it happening but looking back I'm glad it did because it made for a pretty epic replay.
6 Aug 2014, 18:11 PM

Yesterday, I marked a Jagdtiger and chased it with my ISU and other units. The mark vehicle plane was shot down and crashed on top of my full health ISU, which was just passing a little frozen stream of water, killing it instantly. My enemies did not know this however and they surrendered when the Jagdtiger fell.

It's important to not take this game too seriously, therefore I don't mind the plane crashes.
6 Aug 2014, 18:15 PM

Yesterday, I marked a Jagdtiger and chased it with my ISU and other units. The mark vehicle plane was shot down and crashed on top of my full health ISU, which was just passing a little frozen stream of water, killing it instantly. My enemies did not know this however and they surrendered when the Jagdtiger fell.

It's important to not take this game too seriously, therefore I don't mind the plane crashes.

I think this is my problem lol!!!

But it does annoy me, ive went from rank 15 to rank 119 with USF, i think its time to let rank go by and just enjoy the battles or leave if they suck.
6 Aug 2014, 18:16 PM

This is one of this random elements that
1)occur once in a blue moon
2)make the game awesome and that much more spectacular

I wouldn't like to see it changed in any way.
And yea, a plane crashing into a tank would do rather good damage to it.
6 Aug 2014, 18:28 PM

This is one of this random elements that
1)occur once in a blue moon
2)make the game awesome and that much more spectacular

I wouldn't like to see it changed in any way.
And yea, a plane crashing into a tank would do rather good damage to it.

Although I can already guess at your response, in larger team games plane crashes are common and too random. It is not uncommon to have 1-5+ planes crash in a 3v3+ games. I have lost games to single plane crashes, and when multiple hits occur on different critical units. What is most infuriating in these games is that I have built AA vehicles to prevent LoS but they end up costing me the game because of random crashes. Also keep in mind larger maps actually make it more likely planes will crash in player controlled territory or units instead of off map.

Recon run is extremely cost effective because it allows the plane to circle only enemy territory and will not likely get shot down on the first pass. This allows it to give LoS and act as a heavy bombing run.

Planes should crash off map, problem solved, still really cool, but removes random killing of units. If this cannot be, planes should crash at much shallower angles allowing them to fly further and move away from front line units as much as possible.
6 Aug 2014, 20:01 PM

but if we take away plane crashes, the germans wont have a counter to snipers

http://www.twitch.tv/siberiangt/b/554549396?t=36m00s
6 Aug 2014, 20:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2014, 20:01 PMwooof
but if we take away plane crashes, the germans wont have a counter to snipers

http://www.twitch.tv/siberiangt/b/554549396?t=36m00s

Hahah, see? Even when you're on the receiving end you can't help but laugh. It's genius.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 50
Russian Federation 19
United States 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak