Login

russian armor

Just asking: Osttruppen turning to super-vets

3 Aug 2014, 09:16 AM

Hi all, I've been messing about with Osttruppen squads for quite a while, and I've noticed due to Osttruppen squads being very sturdy units, they often survive into very late game, gaining vets and often picking up loots from dead allies or enemies. I would find that in 30-40 minutes into the game I would have at least one vet 3 Osttruppen with 1-2 special weapons (US drops a lot of Bars and Zooks, while my unfortunate P-Grenadiers keep dropping their shrecks). I wouldn't call them super soldiers, but their performance is very reliable at that point, outdoing non-vets of higher tier with their accuracy buff behind covers.

Is this common? I always felt it was very difficult for these guys to die completely unless you leave them in danger for a really really (and really) long time.
3 Aug 2014, 09:42 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Is this common? I always felt it was very difficult for these guys to die completely unless you leave them in danger for a really really (and really) long time.

They have the most equivalent HP of any ostheer infantry unit, even counting pgrens with their reduced incoming accuracy, so it is fairly common.

I don't think they're worth using though, seeing that you need to actually kill enemy troops to loot their weapons and osttruppen can't kill to begin with. And they aren't cheap enough to make it up with extra support weapons to do the killing too.
3 Aug 2014, 09:54 AM

TBH grens are the worst units in the game, they only become decent when upgraded to LMGs and thats 60 ammo

A blob of them with a halftrack can do well but they are nothing special and late game shocks/brownings rape them so easy.

Dunno what the point of this thread is lol?
3 Aug 2014, 10:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2014, 09:54 AMShadow
TBH grens are the worst units in the game, they only become decent when upgraded to LMGs and thats 60 ammo

Conscripts and penals would like to have a word with you.

A blob of them with a halftrack can do well but they are nothing special and late game shocks/brownings rape them so easy.

Osttruppen are pretty meh, they shouldn't have their accuracy penalty.
They are still support troops, not mainline infantry.
3 Aug 2014, 10:18 AM

Conscripts and penals would like to have a word with you.

Osttruppen are pretty meh, they shouldn't have their accuracy penalty.
They are still support troops, not mainline infantry.

Cons are not infantry they are fodder :P

Penals are decent what you on about? They have sick damage and the flamers rape, not to mention satchels!

Ofc they are squishy but their damage is decent, combined with a M3 they rape until late game.
3 Aug 2014, 10:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2014, 10:18 AMShadow

Cons are not infantry they are fodder :P

They are as much of a fooder as grenadiers of rifleman.

Penals are decent what you on about? They have sick damage and the flamers rape, not to mention satchels!

Decent against what? Volks? Because that is pretty much all they are able to beat on their own without inciredible positional advantage.

Ofc they are squishy but their damage is decent, combined with a M3 they rape until late game.

No, not really, not even close.
And it won't change until LMG infantry meta lasts.

Short ranged infantry with no armor have currently absolutely no place in game, even osttruppen are in better spot for that when we talk cost effectiveness.
3 Aug 2014, 10:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2014, 09:54 AMShadow

As my topic has pointed out: "Just asking".

Strummingbird has shown capabilities of answering questions asked.
I remember you posting a long answer in my other thread about a Soviet guide when I submitted a suggestion to change Soviet early Conscript reinforcement choices. Either you lack the ability to understand my posts, or you are implying that I'm new to this game, which I assure you I am probably not.
3 Aug 2014, 10:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2014, 10:35 AMShadow

Dude im not being funny but you suck at the game....... You are nowhere near my skill level and have no clue, saying cons are as much fodder as the above shows how bad you are :\ Rifles rape everything but sturms early game and even then rape them at range.

Now ive read the rest of your post shows you have no clue about the game, please stop posting in threads that you have no idea what youre talking about!!! People will just laugh at you, osttruppen are pointless and are worse than cons, they have no DPS at all.

Now less trolling please and go get some skill..............

As again you have demonstrated that you lack the ability to understand my post. I suggested that Conscripts should act as fodder, not that they do so in the game. The game portrayed them as expendable men, so my suggestion was merely using that idea to enhance Soviet early infantry.

Regardless, your ad hominem is duly noted.
3 Aug 2014, 10:56 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Posts invised for trolling.

If you disagree with a poster, simply throwing in gratuitous insults is not an option
raw
3 Aug 2014, 12:28 PM

Is this common?

Yes. It is so that beginners stay around by giving them easy wins.
3 Aug 2014, 12:43 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Another post invised because of gratuitous insults.
3 Aug 2014, 12:46 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2014, 12:28 PMraw

Yes. It is so that beginners stay around by giving them easy wins.

Are you implying that beginners use osttruppen to get themselves (god forbid) easy wins?

I can't even remember when was the last time I've seen the words 'Osttruppen' and 'Win' together in one sentence...
3 Aug 2014, 12:52 PM

The problem is that you shouldnt get these units early. For 200 mp, they are waste and won't deliver any impact on the battlefield compared to getting a gren. Sure, they might be decent at mid game for recrewing, but the commanders that give ostruppen don't have any good callins/abilities for lategame.

Plus, for any purpose they aren't worth 200 mp for recrewing weapons, it should be 120 mp with a long CD. Their DPS is abysmal, you'd need 2 ostruppen fighting a single conscript in perfect conditions (400 mp vs 240 mp).
raw
3 Aug 2014, 13:00 PM

Are you implying that beginners use osttruppen to get themselves (god forbid) easy wins?

Yes. Well, right now it's more OKW but I have this feeling in my left toe that Relic will quickly remedy the situation and make Ostruppen and OKW equally easy to win with.

I can't even remember when was the last time I've seen the words 'Osttruppen' and 'Win' together in one sentence...

Should probably have played the game a month ago.
3 Aug 2014, 13:11 PM

Hi all, I've been messing about with Osttruppen squads for quite a while, and I've noticed due to Osttruppen squads being very sturdy units, they often survive into very late game, gaining vets and often picking up loots from dead allies or enemies. I would find that in 30-40 minutes into the game I would have at least one vet 3 Osttruppen with 1-2 special weapons (US drops a lot of Bars and Zooks, while my unfortunate P-Grenadiers keep dropping their shrecks). I wouldn't call them super soldiers, but their performance is very reliable at that point, outdoing non-vets of higher tier with their accuracy buff behind covers.

It is common and it is a very good thing for makes them a bit stronger since without any stolen weaponry they are pretty awful in a fight. This way they are not just a cheap cannon fodder,weapon crewmen and point takers but they have a chance to actually become a line infantrymen.

Not too good line infantrymen but if they have an mg and a vet 2 they will stay in a fight a bit longer than a ordinary grens, and if they manage to get their hand on a zook in combination with their panzerfaust they can be a decent enough tank hunters.

Now I don't have osttruppen commander so my experience of them only comes from Mobile Defense commander and there they can actually be more useful since you got a chance to get high veted osttruppen squad or a squad with lmg or both while Ostruppen commander ones come with veterancy or any weapons so that way they could be too more trouble than use.
3 Aug 2014, 13:18 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2014, 13:00 PMraw

Should probably have played the game a month ago.

A month ago, they were exactly as they are now- overpriced and armed with pop guns, capable of going toe to toe with half a squad of engineers...

They were good when at 160MP, and pretty damn OP at release (though that was quickly changed). They haven't been anyway near overpowered, or even remotely useful, since they became 200MP.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★