Login

russian armor

dealing with the King Tiger in 1v1

3 Aug 2014, 09:16 AM

i been having troubles deal with the KT in 1v1 games playing as USF.i seem to do well in early and mid game keep good map control but it seems that the OKW strat is to just lock down fuel and important strat point, while not bleeding too much MP and build up a massive army of schrecked up volks, sturmpio's and uber's or falls. then they get a KT and just Kill Everything.
USF Armour just doesn't stand a chance against a KT supported with a mass BLOB of doom.

mines seem to be the way to go to stop the KT so you can have get chance to kill but with m20 being the only unit that can lay AT Mines i find hard to back tech to T2 to get it as i rarely tech to t2 as lack At against a fast Flak HT or Puma.

Any suggestions?
3 Aug 2014, 10:47 AM

Firstly, preparation. If the OKW player makes no fuel purchases for a long time, expect a KT. Scouting information is very useful for this: if you see all 3 trucks with no big armoured units, then a KT is very likely. Once you realises this, just try and slow it down as much as possible by attacking fuel/cutoff points.

Secondly, target priority. Surprisingly, the KT doesn't really do very much damage to anything except armoured units. If he's blobbing around the KT, use your own infantry to counter the blob in the normal way (MGs, artillery, vetted Rifles with BARs, e.t.c.) Once the OKW infantry is forced back, the KT becomes much more manageable.

Third, actually klling it. To begin with, anything that can slow down the KT or prevent its escape is very useful here. The simplest solution is probably Rifleman AT grenades (may need more than one to damage engine). The best unit for inflicting damage on the KT is by far the Jackson. If microed well, the KT will be unable to take a shot due to its very slow turrent rotation speed. Use this to flank the KT and start taking shots at the vulnerable, rear armour. This is why it is important to deal with the blob first: Panzerschrecks can drive off or kill the Jackson, but an unsupported KT allows the Jackson to get close or flank.

If you don't like/can't afford a Jackson, your best bet is massed AT guns (probably 2-3). Try to position them before the battle so that they can take shots on the side armour. Again, dealing with blob first is essential, or they will overrun the AT guns. Also, remember to activate the special AP rounds ability on all units that have it available; the extra penetration is extremely helpful against the KT.

Sherman flanking will also work, but they are slower than the Jackson and inflict far less damage vs. heavy armour, so this is much less ideal. E8s may work better, but I haven't seen E8s against a KT personally so I can't really comment.
3 Aug 2014, 11:00 AM

Firstly, preparation. If the OKW player makes no fuel purchases for a long time, expect a KT. Scouting information is very useful for this: if you see all 3 trucks with no big armoured units, then a KT is very likely. Once you realises this, just try and slow it down as much as possible by attacking fuel/cutoff points.

Secondly, target priority. Surprisingly, the KT doesn't really do very much damage to anything except armoured units. If he's blobbing around the KT, use your own infantry to counter the blob in the normal way (MGs, artillery, vetted Rifles with BARs, e.t.c.) Once the OKW infantry is forced back, the KT becomes much more manageable.

Third, actually klling it. To begin with, anything that can slow down the KT or prevent its escape is very useful here. The simplest solution is probably Rifleman AT grenades (may need more than one to damage engine). The best unit for inflicting damage on the KT is by far the Jackson. If microed well, the KT will be unable to take a shot due to its very slow turrent rotation speed. Use this to flank the KT and start taking shots at the vulnerable, rear armour. This is why it is important to deal with the blob first: Panzerschrecks can drive off or kill the Jackson, but an unsupported KT allows the Jackson to get close or flank.

If you don't like/can't afford a Jackson, your best bet is massed AT guns (probably 2-3). Try to position them before the battle so that they can take shots on the side armour. Again, dealing with blob first is essential, or they will overrun the AT guns. Also, remember to activate the special AP rounds ability on all units that have it available; the extra penetration is extremely helpful against the KT.

Sherman flanking will also work, but they are slower than the Jackson and inflict far less damage vs. heavy armour, so this is much less ideal. E8s may work better, but I haven't seen E8s against a KT personally so I can't really comment.

All AT grenades that I throw to the KT were damaging engine. I think one grenade will destroy engine.
3 Aug 2014, 15:27 PM

All AT grenades that I throw to the KT were damaging engine. I think one grenade will destroy engine.

I've had them fail to damage engine once or twice. IIRC correctly, they are treated as very high penetration, low damage weapons with the special property of damaging engines if they penetrate. I believe the KT has high enough armour that it can sometimes resist penetration. (I could be wrong about the mechanics stuff).
3 Aug 2014, 20:45 PM

At nades bounce of the front armour, plus when they have the blob of doom you can not get close enough to get a At nade off. On a side note the KT does quite well against infantry, it seems to be a well rounded.

Yeah I was thinking maybe trying the eazy 8's.maybe tech t2 to t3 and just using easy 8's as my t4.
3 Aug 2014, 21:38 PM

If you've got Rifle Company then yeah, its fine to use E8s as a substitute for Tier 4. Given how E8s perform against Panthers, they should do respectable damage to a KT if they are hitting on the rear/side armour.

Also, when I said the KT wasn't good against infantry, I meant that it isn't good relative to its massive cost. It'll take it a while to clear out multiple infantry squads and AT guns.
3 Aug 2014, 22:14 PM

I think the key here is to seperate it from its supporting infantry blob, so your AT guns and Jacksons can get to work.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★