Login

russian armor

Commander Choice

19 Jul 2014, 01:45 AM

I only have the original three commanders and have only really used Luftwafee Ground and Breakthrough Operations. My choice is simple. It's solely based on the map, not on my opponent's tech or even what faction he's playing.

On a map with a lot of choke points and buildings (e.g. Kolodny, Karkov), I go Luftwaffe for the MG34 to control the chokes and Fallschirmjagers to spawn out of buildings and their decent short range combat abilities. On open maps (e.g., Langreskaya, Crossing in the Woods), I go Breakthrough for double Panzerfusiliers with GK43's backed up by a Sturm Officer.

Just curious how everyone else decides on their commander when playing OKW?
19 Jul 2014, 03:06 AM

I only own the 3 basic commanders and honestly, I go Luftwaffe 99.9% of the time. MG34s are almost always great, and really help OKW against aggressive infantry play early game. However, the real reason is Fallschirmjagers. In my experience, a good way to win as OKW is to have a few highly-vetted elite infantry squads who can dominate infantry-on-infantry engagements, with Volksgrenadiers acting more as support troops. Realistically, only Fallschirms and Obersoldaten have the firepower and durability to fulfill this role (I don't particularly rate Panzerfusiliers).

Now I'm a strong advocate of simply not building Schwerer Panzer Truck as OKW. The 80 fuel tied up in that building is much more usefully spent on a Jagpanzer or Stucka, which actually provides some map presence. For that reason, Obersoldaten are out which makes the Fallschirmjagers essential. Hence, Luftwaffe Ground Forces.

EDIT: another reason I love them is that they can get in close and panzerfaust a vehicle, setting up a nice kill with Raketerwerfers or Volksgrenadiers. Obers don't have the same utility.
19 Jul 2014, 08:09 AM

I actually go special operations doc almost all the time. this is mostly for the infiltration tactics grenade assault you can use. very underrated imo. you can throw up to 5 grenades for just 10 munitions. its very capable of squad wiping and forcing retreats if you land it properly.
my favorite is when i find where their major is and then grenade assault from behind a hedge or another line of sight blocker.

the stg44 upgrader for the obers are interesting, but i find that i tend not to upgrade them as it seems the mg34s are a better all round weapon.

the artillery flares are extremely useful, especially to spot for your support gun, since that thing has insane accuracy.

finally the panther command tank is also an underappreciated unit i feel. with its mark target ability you can take out any allied medium tank with one shot + a panzershreck or puppchen.
19 Jul 2014, 10:20 AM

I actually go special operations doc almost all the time. this is mostly for the infiltration tactics grenade assault you can use. very underrated imo. you can throw up to 5 grenades for just 10 munitions. its very capable of squad wiping and forcing retreats if you land it properly.

i also use special most of the time. those cheap grenades unlock early and are fantastic.
especially against those large russian weapon crews.

i equip my obers with stg44 whenever i can.
it allows your obers to fire without having to set up and it shreds any form infantery with a good range.
the flares can be usefull but it costs 60 mun. and i usually need my mun for nades, schrecks, stg44 and mines. so i rather get a infra red truck.
i agree on the panther command. very usefull especially in team games.

yesterday i got lucky and got the elite armored commander. so im trying to play with him atm.
though i gotta say im not that much of a fan. the abilites give you hardly any advantage in early game and they cost loads and loads of munition.
the vet p4s are very nice though. with thse there is usually no need to build p4.
they work excellent against infantery and those heat shells allow them to crack even heavy armor.
19 Jul 2014, 11:34 AM

I got the new scavenge commander about 2 days ago so I have been using it in every game its very nice the scavenge takes more time but you get 15 munitions along with the 5 fuel.

Light jaeger infantry, 4 man squad with g43 at 2 cp cost 290 mp to call in, 55mp to reinforce they are cheap enough to call in early but if you make a mistake you end up bleeding a lot of mp, they are good at long range but once they get vet 2 and up you can use them at all ranges they are very durable once vetted and provide a good line of sight.

The doctrine also comes the grenade assault very good vs blobs and garrisons, ostwind at 8cp only get later if I lose my halftrack and a very powerful artillery barrage at 9 cp.

the artillery is weird though after using it once it sometimes drops automatically were I targeted earlier if I spot enemy units in the area and as far as I can tell does not cost me extra munitions

I go flack halftrack opening then puma and jadgpanzer IV they work well together and much later tech to tier 4 (flack truck) and get panther.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 38
Germany 666
Netherlands 16

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak