Login

russian armor

What's the point of playing

18 Jul 2014, 09:55 AM

Huh? Of course I understand that. I'm implying in my original post that Relic isn't making the game for us to have fun.

Gotta love people who make snap judgements

You said "playing for fun", as if it wasnt something everyone does.

I dont agree with your perception of the game modes, but I do agree the Warspoil system is func4ionally impaired (which is polite speak for retarded).

Eelic says working as intended. Its a good concept in principle, but its actual implementation is unfoetunately "working as retarded".
18 Jul 2014, 09:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 08:31 AMFlamee

For factions I don't really have any love relationships. I like them all, almost equally. If I would have to choose one, it would be perhaps Soviets.

Finn playing Sov?

HERESY!
18 Jul 2014, 09:58 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

I decided to not be frustrated with war spoils. I really enjoy the game, and having 6 Blinding Strikes doesn't bother me... too much.

I wish I had the other commanders though. I'm super jelly.
18 Jul 2014, 10:00 AM

Relic may say "working as intended", but we should keep on the pressure.

Its a great system in principle, but it needs some work to make the drop system more rational.
18 Jul 2014, 10:04 AM

Relic are like Marie Antoinette and war spoils are like cake.
18 Jul 2014, 10:08 AM

I don't understand your complaint.

People like blobbing, camping and spamming

Game isn't perfect atm, but its not bad either.

You are playing for fun, right? Ranks, wins, faceplates and commanders should be your secondary concern
18 Jul 2014, 10:18 AM

Finn playing Sov?

HERESY!

Heh, you got me there! I think of it, I'm playing with Allies! alliesallies

You are playing for fun, right? Ranks, wins, faceplates and commanders should be your secondary concern

Exactly.
18 Jul 2014, 10:31 AM

Permanently Banned
The point of playing is going in to the lobby, choose between Wehrmacht and OKW and stomp everything. :)
18 Jul 2014, 11:24 AM

To be honest, i play this game because its COH. I played COH1 for a good while, and i loved it. Then i played COH2, and even if i didnt like it at first and had some breaks, i learned to love it. Im still in love with this franchise. Duplicates are frustrating, yes, but the best way is to simply ignore them. Play for the sake of the game. If you have strong greedy feelings, and you want to get that commander, you actually want to get that commander to play with it. You want to play the game with it, youre not playing to just get the commander.

1v1's are competetive, and i dont mind the Commander system by now. It actually varies the possible matchup's. Back in COH1 it was just 3 doctrines for each faction. And while i love that system and that i would prefer it over the commander system (in some aspects), i like the diversity commanders can bring up. 2v2's are all about teamplay. It was like that in COH1, and the same goes for COH2. Whoever had the slightly more complimentary army in COH1, usually won the game. COH2 is no exception.

3v3's and 4v4's are giant spam fests. This, however, wasnt different in COH1. In fact, i think that COH1 had worse 3v3 / 4v4 maps. Scheldt anyone? The only good one i can think of was Red Ball Express, which i loved to play on.

The Game is fun to me. It may not be fun to you. Relic is trying to attract new players to the game, to keep the franchise growing. Thats what the War spoils are for. And i dont mind.

Im still feeling the greatness of the game, when shit goes down and battles become hectic and one mistake could cost you the game. Relics new way of trying to advertise the game isnt hurting you, or atleast it shouldnt hurt you, because theres no reason to be hurt.
If you cant enjoy the game because of, lets say, War spoils, then youre doing something wrong. I had the pink tinted glasses for COH1 for a good while. I still love COH1, but i enjoy COH2 more. And thats solely my opinion.
18 Jul 2014, 11:32 AM
Honorary Member Badge

As for 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4-they will always be spam fests regardless of balance...

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 08:30 AMErguvan
U should never expect 4v4/3v3 more than noobiszm. This is a characteristic for all RTS.

Yawn
18 Jul 2014, 11:49 AM

I don't actually play the game because I like playing the game. I like watching replays. I first got into it watching Vcoh shoutcasts and after I felt like I knew enough to make my own(play online).

I find it's like watching an action scene out of saving private ryan or band of brothers. So after every match I play I enjoy sitting back and watching the replay.

Which is why I really hate the current war spoils system. It forces me to actually play more if I want any hope of ever seeing new content.
18 Jul 2014, 11:57 AM

So you guys are saying we should just settle for all the game's faults and mediocrity?

Given the shift in marketing from more hardcore RTS players to casuals, this really doesn't surprise me (apologies for Godwin's modified law on casual gamers)

I'm not content with that given the high level of quality in DoW 1 and vCoH. But maybe those are the days of the past.

Anyways, if you're forcing yourself to enjoy the game, MoW AS 2 is a much superior alternative with more in touch devs (unfortunately casualitis is slowly polarizing the community and killing the game. It's too casual for hardcores, too hardcore for casuals, and I see CoH ending up like that)

There's other alternatives too. Shit the only reason I'm playing CoH 2 is CoH 1 and there's something unique about the gameplay. In theory, it very well balances tactics and strategy, macro and micro, and 1v1 feels like chess.
18 Jul 2014, 12:08 PM

I guess I've derailed my own thread or perhaps rerouted

Given that there are now a ton of indie games that are just as polished as CoH 2 and have devs that are far more supportive of the community, why are we bothering here?
18 Jul 2014, 12:09 PM

So you guys are saying we should just settle for all the game's faults and mediocrity?

Given the shift in marketing from more hardcore RTS players to casuals, this really doesn't surprise me (apologies for Godwin's modified law on casual gamers)

I'm not content with that given the high level of quality in DoW 1 and vCoH. But maybe those are the days of the past.

Anyways, if you're forcing yourself to enjoy the game, MoW AS 2 is a much superior alternative with more in touch devs (unfortunately casualitis is slowly polarizing the community and killing the game. It's too casual for hardcores, too hardcore for casuals, and I see CoH ending up like that)

There's other alternatives too. Shit the only reason I'm playing CoH 2 is CoH 1 and there's something unique about the gameplay. In theory, it very well balances tactics and strategy, macro and micro, and 1v1 feels like chess.

The Thing is that the COH franchise has never been specifically tailored towards "hardcore" players. Its still a RTS game however, and not everyone likes that. RTS is a niche genre by now, and COH definetly has the depth to keep "hardcore" players playing. CoH2 isnt a game that is purely mainstream. It isnt a CoD, a Battlefield, a LoL, a Assassins Creed. Its CoH, a RTS game that isnt aiming at being a hyperreastical super hardcore game, that only around 20 people can really enjoy. CoH1 wasnt hardcore, CoH2 isnt hardcore aswell. If its too "casual" for you, go ahead, play something more "hardcore".
18 Jul 2014, 12:10 PM

I guess I've derailed my own thread or perhaps rerouted

Given that there are now a ton of indie games that are just as polished as CoH 2 and have devs that are far more supportive of the community, why are we bothering here?

18 Jul 2014, 12:18 PM

The Thing is that the COH franchise has never been specifically tailored towards "hardcore" players. Its still a RTS game however, and not everyone likes that. RTS is a niche genre by now, and COH definetly has the depth to keep "hardcore" players playing. CoH2 isnt a game that is purely mainstream. It isnt a CoD, a Battlefield, a LoL, a Assassins Creed. Its CoH, a RTS game that isnt aiming at being a hyperreastical super hardcore game, that only around 20 people can really enjoy. CoH1 wasnt hardcore, CoH2 isnt hardcore aswell. If its too "casual" for you, go ahead, play something more "hardcore".

Of course vCoH wasn't "hardcore" but it had a depth hardcore players could go against, specifically competitive 1v1 and 2v2

"Casuals" (I hate the word for the negative connotations behind it) could slug it out on vire or in custom games, while 1v1 and 2v2 automatch were reserved, at least in the higher echelons, for hardcore players.

Premium doctrines and bulletins defecate on this in a very slimy way :hyper:
18 Jul 2014, 12:34 PM

Of course vCoH wasn't "hardcore" but it had a depth hardcore players could go against, specifically competitive 1v1 and 2v2

"Casuals" (I hate the word for the negative connotations behind it) could slug it out on vire or in custom games, while 1v1 and 2v2 automatch were reserved, at least in the higher echelons, for hardcore players.

Premium doctrines and bulletins defecate on this in a very slimy way :hyper:

Bulletins barely affect anything, and i dont see how premium doctrines are negatively affecting the competetive aspect of the game as long as they are properly balanced.
1v1 and 2v2 automatch werent really different. If you had a high ELO, you had better opponents, that means "hardcore" players. Same goes for COH2. As soon as i got in the top 100, or rather top 75, i got "hardcore" players matched with me aswell.

1v1 or 2v2 were never reserved for super hardcore players, they were and are for everyone. The opponents you get is caused by your ELO. You get a high ELO, you get matched with better players. Simple as that.
18 Jul 2014, 12:35 PM

@up

You do realize that doctrines is exactly what allows to exponentially surpass CoH1 depth by giving a much, much more options to the players and opening much more tactics then vCoH had across its whole life, right?

You don't need to agree with it, but you can't really deny it, unless you don't understand what doctrines do for the game.
18 Jul 2014, 12:39 PM

Bulletins barely affect anything, and i dont see how premium doctrines are negatively affecting the competetive aspect of the game as long as they are properly balanced.
1v1 and 2v2 automatch werent really different. If you had a high ELO, you had better opponents, that means "hardcore" players. Same goes for COH2. As soon as i got in the top 100, or rather top 75, i got "hardcore" players matched with me aswell.

1v1 or 2v2 were never reserved for super hardcore players, they were and are for everyone. The opponents you get is caused by your ELO. You get a high ELO, you get matched with better players. Simple as that.

Missing the point. The atmosphere was much more friendly because the players were more constrained (but not too constrained) since they had few doctrine choices and no bulletins. The game's balance always also seemed to be focused on 1v1, followed by 2v2.

My main issue though is that, without all doctrines available to experiment with and practice, you cannot learn them and thus learn how to fight against them. It's like facing a left handed pitcher in baseball. It ruins competitive play until everyone has them. Rifle and Mech companies are far far different than the others. If I could play Rifle, I might say it's OP (but I really have no clue). It seems to fit with the American faction the best though. That can't be discounted. It's the primary/staple doctrine for USA.

I disagree on the bulletins. Tripling on your main infantry unit is quite effective and can lead to lasting positional advantages stemming from winning the first fights.

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 12:35 PMKatitof
@up

You do realize that doctrines is exactly what allows to exponentially surpass CoH1 depth by giving a much, much more options to the players and opening much more tactics then vCoH had across its whole life, right?

You don't need to agree with it, but you can't really deny it, unless you don't understand what doctrines do for the game.

Did I say doctrines in CoH 2 are bad? No. I said the implementation is bad because what I just said above
18 Jul 2014, 13:54 PM

To the OP: The way I play Coh2 is to uninstall frequently and play periodically but overall infrequently. The game has addictive qualities, and I make sure that I don't 'overplay' by giving into the easy temptation to click on steam. So my frustration rate is close to zero. Coh2 is not a daily nighttime habit for me.

Since mid 2013 I have uninstalled coh2 about 15 times or more. I usually re-install after a major patch, new updates/content, or when I have new strats I want to use.

Also, I completely ignored war spoils a bit after the first week. I asked on the forum and watched the new commanders in streams, casts and got my curiosity filled as to what they are and what they do.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★