Login

russian armor

What's the point of playing

18 Jul 2014, 06:31 AM

Games above 2v2 are Blobfest and campfest, depending on the map. Usually both

1v1 isn't competitive because of the limitations of who has what commander.

2v2 is an ugly middle ground and whoever JUST SO HAPPENS to have more complimentary armies, doctrines, and map as an X factor has a huge advantage.

The War Spoils system is an RPG style element trying to get us to grind.

They're trying to get us addicted to the game. I play games for fun, not to feed some addiction.
18 Jul 2014, 06:41 AM

What was the point of this thread?

I mean literally, were you asking opinions from others (on what's their point of playing) or just expressing your own feelings?
18 Jul 2014, 06:56 AM

"Asking for the opinions of others" I think is obviously my intention
18 Jul 2014, 07:16 AM

Gotta love people who don't understand that actually everyone plays for fun.
18 Jul 2014, 07:18 AM

+1 This exactly.

You didn't include any question so it wasn't really obvious what was your point.

But to answer your question, the point of playing CoH2 is:
18 Jul 2014, 07:19 AM

i like playing 1v1, i find it fun and competitive. if you loose its your fault, you cant blame you shite partern and so forth. agree 2v2 and up is blob, spam and camp fest
18 Jul 2014, 07:21 AM

Huh? Of course I understand that. I'm implying in my original post that Relic isn't making the game for us to have fun.

Gotta love people who make snap judgements
18 Jul 2014, 07:29 AM

Huh? Of course I understand that. I'm implying in my original post that Relic isn't making the game for us to have fun.

Gotta love people who make snap judgements

You're just making assumptions that everyone agrees with you. You keep talking about us.

Maybe that's why people "make snap judgement".
18 Jul 2014, 07:33 AM

There's two ways to get joy out of somthing.

An intrinsic love for the activity. You love doing it. You love the challenge. You love something about it that is tied to actually doing or playing it.

The extrinic benefit you get from it. You don't enjoy eating healthy but you enjoy not feeling like shit. You don't love your job but you love money.

When you introduce extrinsic benefits to games sometimes people displace their instrinsic love of the game and start focusing on that. They start playing a meta game of "I want items!" and getting frustrated cause it's just luck most of the time.

I'm also pretty dissapointed with War Spoils and have actually found that it has impacted my enjoyment of the game a little. Not as much as it sounds you have but...

I want those damn Commanders, you know? I started a rank 1 Prestige and I have played enough games to get rank 65ish. It's not a precise barometer of my playtime but you can say that I've played a bunch of WFA.

I've gotten nothing that has excited me from the system.

The counter to this is to just sit back and say "It's fine. I enjoy the game. The items will come. Probably.", but greed is a powerful thing. It saps my enjoyment to see nothing game after game.

So I feel for you but you know. Take a step back. Ask yourself if you still enjoy the gameplay. Ignore the system as best you can if you can't seem to enjoy it normally.
18 Jul 2014, 07:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jul 2014, 07:29 AMFlamee

You're just making assumptions that everyone agrees with you. You keep talking about us.

Maybe that's why people "make snap judgement".

While my rhetoric is certainly pissed off, incorrect good sir. Another snap judgment you have made. I'm quite accustomed now on this forum to people not agreeing with me.

There's two ways to get joy out of somthing.

An intrinsic love for the activity. You love doing it. You love the challenge. You love something about it that is tied to actually doing or playing it.

The extrinic benefit you get from it. You don't enjoy eating healthy but you enjoy not feeling like shit. You don't love your job but you love money.

When you introduce extrinsic benefits to games sometimes people displace their instrinsic love of the game and start focusing on that. They start playing a meta game of "I want items!" and getting frustrated cause it's just luck most of the time.

I'm also pretty dissapointed with War Spoils and have actually found that it has impacted my enjoyment of the game a little. Not as much as it sounds you have but...

I want those damn Commanders, you know? I started a rank 1 Prestige and I have played enough games to get rank 65ish. It's not a precise barometer of my playtime but you can say that I've played a bunch of WFA.

I've gotten nothing that has excited me from the system.

The counter to this is to just sit back and say "It's fine. I enjoy the game. The items will come. Probably.", but greed is a powerful thing. It saps my enjoyment to see nothing game after game.

So I feel for you but you know. Take a step back. Ask yourself if you still enjoy the gameplay. Ignore the system as best you can if you can't seem to enjoy it normally.

This here is a good post. I wish more were like you. I can relate, disagree, take something away, and it gets through to me. It's useful. It's contributive.

But yeah I know exactly what you mean. I play mainly 1v1 for the competetive challenge. It reminds me of chess (avid player) but with real military units. I've already designed strategies around rifle and mech companies but I can't use them because Relic says so.

Which I guess is fair enough because its their game. But its also my money. There are a ton of games out there at this point, like MoW, that I could go to if I wanted to but I'm on here bitching because I believe this game has great potential.

It's impossible not to displace intrinsic love when you introduce extrinsic benefits I think though. I guess if the game is good enough, then yeah. But extrinsic benefits are designed into the game. It's impossible to separate them from the game (I'm sure someone will come along and say "Hey now I can do it" and if you are correct, which I doubt, good for you. You're an exception).
18 Jul 2014, 08:01 AM

isnt 'opinion of others' irrelevant to this? is your opinion going to change or something from what others think?
18 Jul 2014, 08:03 AM

I imagine it must be frustrating in 1v1s right now as more of the Premium Commanders are bleeding into the scene.

I played in the Alpha and I actually got some time to play with these Commanders. They're fun. They enable some great strategies. There were aspects of them that felt overpowered then and I suspect there are still troubles with them. I don't actually know though because they're so rare.

These commanders are going to breed a lot of animosity no matter what.

How do you fight something you don't understand? You can't pick up the Mechanized Company for the US and say "Well, I can't beat this. I am going to play it until someone beats me and look at what they did right". You don't own it. They're so rare that you might only see them a few times a week at best.

These are problems that have always existed with the inclusion of premium content that effects gameplay I suppose.

It's actually rather frustrating. I much prefer the design of commanders like Mechanized and Rifle Company that alter your strategies in fundamental ways. They're fun to play with. They're fun to play around. They change the game and add more diversity and spice to it.

When you add an element of chance or needing funds to get them then it becomes... problematic to a degree.

It's funny though. When these were "pay to win" commanders I just viewed it as another challenge. "Whatever! Other players have different tools than me but I will make do with my humble commanders and beat them!".

Now though... well. One gets envious of luck. Before I ignored them because I didn't want to pay. Now I can actually get them! But not really. Not unless I get lucky.

I've my fingers crossed for the "Free Commander Rotation". That will at least give everyone a bit of a chance to experience and understand what they are fighting. It will also give Relic more information about what could be broken in these hidden Commanders.
18 Jul 2014, 08:05 AM

isnt 'opinion of others' irrelevant to this? is your opinion going to change or something from what others think?

Possibly, or hearing other's opinions will change my opinion.

#snapjudgement

How do you fight something you don't understand? You can't pick up the Mechanized Company for the US and say "Well, I can't beat this. I am going to play it until someone beats me and look at what they did right". You don't own it. They're so rare that you might only see them a few times a week at best.

This. Anyone who understands competitive gameplay understands that you have to be equally familiar with the strategy you're playing and the strategy your opponent is playing. The fun is in creating new strategies that your opponent doesn't know how to react while trying to react to new strategies your opponent is throwing at you.

Since commanders dictate strategy in CoH 2 (which is a fantastic spice I might add), it's both unfair and unfun when you can't play both sides.

My current strategy is to simply not play, exercise and live my life, while my computer bot farms for the commanders, which I think is a sad existence for the sequel to arguably the #2 RTS ever (behind Starcraft)
18 Jul 2014, 08:18 AM

What exactly is ur problem-enraged with balance?Or war spoils system?

As for 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4-they will always be spam fests regardless of balance..if u want finesse don't play those modes..play 1vs 1 and 2 vs 2 or play arranged team games on both sides.Otherwise don't complain abt that aspect..its the nature of that gamemode.
18 Jul 2014, 08:30 AM

blob or camp isnt about just coh2. There were much more in coh1. But thanks to USF, now coh2 has reached coh1's noobiszm in terms of blob.

1v1 soo funny and competitive and has too many varity of strategy due to many dif. commanders (esp. pre commanders).

U should never expect 4v4/3v3 more than noobiszm. This is a characteristic for all RTS.
18 Jul 2014, 08:31 AM

Of course you failed to see my point as well. You really didn't have clear question in your OP so I meant to ask you what was the idea of the thread. Basically you were just expressing how you feel.

So like saying earlier, if answering the only question you asked (at the subject) the point of my playing is because I enjoy it and it's fun.

Then I could also open my opinion a bit. 2vs2 is the game mode I play most and it seems fun and strategic. I have a mate that I usually always play with. Only seldom I play with random ppl and that's quite frustrating usually. Also 3vs3 and 4vs4 are fun for a while, although I do agree they require a different mindset. They are more camping and spamming. But for what's it worth, they are usually really showy.

I don't have any particular rage against war spoils. They are neat idea. It's fun that you may receive something (although it seems that you really would need to play a lot). I think bulletins should be still unlockable same way as they were before. Also this new release commanders for a week seems fun.

The duplicates does not make any sense and drop rates are also really low. But this doesn't matter for me atleast. I don't see any commander to be too OP. If I see some DLC commander while loading, I start thinking what's the best way to oppose to that in the map that we are going to play.

For factions I don't really have any love relationships. I like them all, almost equally. If I would have to choose one, it would be perhaps Soviets.

Of course I also would have few balance suggestions, but overall things seems to be in quite good shape. It has been so much worse during few patches.

So like Corp.Shepard said in his first post, my style of playing is a bit more relaxed. If I do get that flying crate, I'm excited what it is (although usually it's not anything to be excited about) but it's not why I play. I'm addicted more to the fun game than chasing the drops.
18 Jul 2014, 09:03 AM

For me this war spoils system is a bonus,i have no expectations.It wasn't there earlier and now taht its there is just a extra.If u get something thats good luck.Too much expectations is downfall.I play just like before..enjoy with what i have.
18 Jul 2014, 09:34 AM

I love the system.
It gives me duplicates for which I paid in the past.

Thanks relik.
18 Jul 2014, 09:52 AM

I love the system.
It gives me duplicates for which I paid in the past.

Thanks relik.

Positive, but somewhat desperate :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight