Login

russian armor

Schönburg

8 Mar 2013, 00:39 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

I present you Schönburg, a 1v1 map that has a medieval fortress in the middle. I've been wanting to make a map like this for some time, so i think i did pretty good. :) Pictrue(s) say(s) more than a thousand word(s).

Map file is in the end of the post!

Tactical map:

Map File:
Schönburg

Enjoy!
8 Mar 2013, 06:37 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Wow, that ruined cathedral looks really good. I hope to get to try it soon!
8 Mar 2013, 06:47 AM

Its not showing up on my map list when i install with GR maps. Its in the file but not the game.
8 Mar 2013, 07:52 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

The very square fence in the middle of the map strikes me as artificial. Were you working from some photos or from an actual location? I'm just wondering if that could be made to feel a bit more authentic.
8 Mar 2013, 14:30 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

@SmallFrizzl: I just checked and i didnt see it myself, which is weird, as i do see the file ingame when i copy the file to: mydocuments/mygames/companyofheroes/ww2/scenarios... It might be, cause i cant rename the map name, so right now when i compress it the old name is "newmap" but after compression it gets a name of "Schönburg". I need to figure it out.

@Ami: It's not a fence, its a wall for adjustment in the hight, it's more like a garden in the middle. If i played it, it looked pretty okay, perhaps its the pictures.

8 Mar 2013, 16:52 PM

Its not showing up on my map list when i install with GR maps. Its in the file but not the game.

Same here.
Hux
8 Mar 2013, 16:55 PM
Patrion 14

Now I'm no strategic expert so I cant critique the resource layout.

But the map needs more detail in the finer points of it. I know some people aren't too bothered about how maps look (textures and such) but I am.
There are a few areas that need looking at..

In pictures 2 and three there are muddy track splats that are dark brown in colour, considering the overall weather an lighting in the map these should be colourised to better fit in with the overall colour scheme.

again in picture 3, there is some kind of mound on the right. The texture is muddy because of the height of the mound (which is incidentally, roughly the same height as the church in the background!..?) I would suggest smoothing this down somewhat as it looks....odd

Thirdly, have you tried using splines to create cliff edges rather than using the boulder objects around the river? It just seems to me that there is a wall of rocks on both sides of the river and that seems strange

you have used grass around the map at different points. However you have not used it underneath any of the trees yet it has been placed in the middle of (what look to be) frequently used muddy tracks. that seems unrealistic (although maybe it's just a hate of mine to see buildings and trees meet the ground in CoH with a straight edge xD)

Lastly. Those wrecked vehicles you have used. Are you certain they cannot be used by the Axis to harvest for resources? if so then they will provide an unfair advantage if this map was ever to be used in a competitive matchup.

Anyway those are my crits, I look forward to seeing how this gets on. nice one.
8 Mar 2013, 20:16 PM

I like the general layout and looks of the map, haven't installed or tried it out yet so gameplaywise I have no feedback.

I remember when Mystic-Eye (whos voice is in the intro of Frontline Fatalities) made a map with a ruined cathedral like this, it's amazing to look at but takes up alot of space, hopefully you can find a good way of making it less "in the way" with other parts of the map.
Putting it on the edge of the map is probably a good idea, a center placement of it would be a massive shotblocker of doom.
9 Mar 2013, 01:55 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

But the map needs more detail in the finer points of it. I know some people aren't too bothered about how maps look (textures and such) but I am.
There are a few areas that need looking at..

Yes i am aware of the eyecandy condition, im gonna honestly say that i was just too lazy and rushed it to where it is, i made this in basically 2 days. :) And i would also like to point out that, its nowhere near completed. It's just a quick way to see how it plays.

You don't have to worry about the looks right now, the looks come when i've made it good for gameplay.

Thirdly, have you tried using splines to create cliff edges rather than using the boulder objects around the river? It just seems to me that there is a wall of rocks on both sides of the river and that seems strange

Trust me, ive tried splines alot as ive been working with the worldbuilder for about 4-5 years.

I know how it looks, but im afraid im gonna leave it like that, if it doesnt bother majority of people. I like how it is atm, because as ive practised with splines, i dont like how hights stretches the spline and it will look awful in most cases. I know i can smoothen up the cliffs sides, but thats gonna take room that i wanted to make playable. Again, it can be done if people see it can work, but i don't see it at this point.

you have used grass around the map at different points. However you have not used it underneath any of the trees yet it has been placed in the middle of (what look to be) frequently used muddy tracks. that seems unrealistic (although maybe it's just a hate of mine to see buildings and trees meet the ground in CoH with a straight edge xD)

I used the grass tool as i went by, again eyecandy comes as the last thing.

Lastly. Those wrecked vehicles you have used. Are you certain they cannot be used by the Axis to harvest for resources? if so then they will provide an unfair advantage if this map was ever to be used in a competitive matchup.

No, those wrecks can't be salvaged, im 100% sure of it.

Anyway those are my crits, I look forward to seeing how this gets on. nice one.

Thank you for good criticism, i know what im doing, so im sure if the help is around, i can make this map work and hopefully you'll like it too. :)
9 Mar 2013, 01:56 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Fatal, if you look at the tactical map, you can see that the cathedral is just out side of the map area. VP is next to the edge, so it wont take any space, but it will be nice to look at. :)
9 Mar 2013, 02:09 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

It seems that i have messed up my options to save the map to another location, this means, i have to stamp everything to a new map and redo the hights. It's gonna take a few days. But atleast you can see the pictures. :P
9 Mar 2013, 13:52 PM

I like pretty pictures ;)
11 Mar 2013, 02:33 AM

Is this good to go yet? Lookin forward to testin it out!
11 Mar 2013, 04:09 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

The SGA wont work with the GRmap installer cause i messed smth up, but im fixing it, ill release new version in a couple of days. But you can get it to work and play online if u do this, only u cannot save the replay.

you can test it out by putting the SGA file to: Mydocuments/mygames/companyofheros/ww2/scenarios...

:)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS