Login

russian armor

Official Obersoldaten OP Thread

• This thread is locked
PAGES (15)down
23 Jun 2014, 21:36 PM

Wonder what the surprise is when people knew the unit had "ober" in its name. Nerf it, and it loses that prefix.
23 Jun 2014, 21:38 PM

23 Jun 2014, 21:49 PM

23 Jun 2014, 21:53 PM

Well, I spent a good hour or so playing around with the new German faction and I have to say that they're well balanced. The Obersoldaten definitely shouldn't be nerfed because it was designed to hard counter any infantry the enemy could field, and it's not as if they're invincible; there are counters and even a light armoured vehicle can completely halt an advance by the Obersoldaten.
23 Jun 2014, 22:04 PM

Well, I spent a good hour or so playing around with the new German faction and I have to say that they're well balanced. The Obersoldaten definitely shouldn't be nerfed because it was designed to hard counter any infantry the enemy could field, and it's not as if they're invincible; there are counters and even a light armoured vehicle can completely halt an advance by the Obersoldaten.

Dude, a hardcounter is something else than a lawnmower where the lawn is infantry.
Where is the fun in seeing a unit and having to retreat your squads?
They just rek. Rek rek rek.
23 Jun 2014, 22:10 PM

There's a reason they're called "Obersoldaten" and are the ultimate infantry counter, but as I mentioned both the US and the Russians have counters(Mainly combined arms) so it's not as if they're terminators that can destroy every unit on the battlefield.
23 Jun 2014, 22:11 PM

I was expecting this topic even before the game launched. Ain't dissapointed.
23 Jun 2014, 22:14 PM

There's a reason they're called "Obersoldaten" and are the ultimate infantry counter, but as I mentioned both the US and the Russians have counters(Mainly combined arms) so it's not as if they're terminators that can destroy every unit on the battlefield.

There should not be a unit that is 'the ultimate infantry counter'.
That's plain stupid.
Plus it's only 400 manpower, it's pretty damn cheap for such a unit.
23 Jun 2014, 22:18 PM

I threw a game over the weekend by using 3 squads of niche shock troops for fun. The price of these are around the same as obersoldaten.
23 Jun 2014, 22:19 PM

Shouldn't units be about having strengths and weaknesses and the overall success you have with them being dependent on how you use them? Use a unit to its strength and you'll be successful, deploy them without thinking and you'll be punished?

I'd hate a game where unit A will win 100% of the times against unit B simply because unit A costs more. Unit A should win because I play it to its strength.

Look at Shocks and how boring they used to be. Just run up to a LMG Gren squad and you would win, now running in clear field with shocks against LMG grens is a good way to loose Shocks. However, flank with the shocks and get in close without exposure and they'll make minced meat out of the grens.

Same principle should apply to the Obersoldaten (and seriously change that stupid name it sound ridiculous.) Facing another infantry unit shouldn't mean the allies would have to retreat instantly but the allies should have a way to out-micro the Germans.

Kinda feels like the WFA was balanced according to pre-march patches.
23 Jun 2014, 22:21 PM

Less than a day of release and the OP threads are already rolling in.

Obersoldaten are fine, give the game a few weeks before we all bloody scream for nerfs.
23 Jun 2014, 22:21 PM

Shouldn't units be about having strengths and weaknesses and the overall success you have with them being dependent on how you use them? Use a unit to its strength and you'll be successful, deploy them without thinking and you'll be punished?

I'd hate a game where unit A will win 100% of the times against unit B simply because unit A costs more. Unit A should win because I play it to its strength.

Look at Shocks and how boring they used to be. Just run up to a LMG Gren squad and you would win, now running in clear field with shocks against LMG grens is a good way to loose Shocks. However, flank with the shocks and get in close without exposure and they'll make minced meat out of the grens.

Same principle should apply to the Obersoldaten (and seriously change that stupid name it sound ridiculous.) Facing another infantry unit shouldn't mean the allies would have to retreat instantly but the allies should have a way to out-micro the Germans.

Kinda feels like the WFA was balanced according to pre-march patches.

OMG HIS FIRST HE SO CUTE MAKING BIG REPLIES!

<444>3
23 Jun 2014, 22:22 PM

Why is it that the Germans get a unit and then "use combined arms" is a valid option for balance. But telling Germans to use combined arms is never a valid option for balance, but a nerf of the allied unit is then needed?

Also "Supreme-soldier" is a shitty name from the start, all other units have at least some basis in the real world.
23 Jun 2014, 22:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jun 2014, 18:25 PMKatitof

Wait until you meet these guys, you'll be the first one to recreate this thread.

Unless extremely high long range DPS, bonus accuracy against retreating units, fire on the move with LMG, self regen, insane scaling and suppression and with upgrade ignores most of cover sounds balanced to you :P

I thought that their ability to fire on the move was unintentional..
23 Jun 2014, 22:34 PM

There should not be a unit that is 'the ultimate infantry counter'.
That's plain stupid.
Plus it's only 400 manpower, it's pretty damn cheap for such a unit.

Isn't that the idea behind the OKW units? They're relatively weak at the start of the game, but become exponentially stronger as the game progresses. From what I'v played, the Obersoldaten aren't expert infantry killers right away, and the only time they become a killing machine is if they have veterency and supported.

My main point is that people are calling for nerfs regarding the Obersoldaten despite the WFA just being released. There's also the fact that people are still figuring out how one are supposed to use these new units. I guarantee you that if you run an Obersoldaten unit across an open field towards the enemy, you're going to have a bad time; much like if they send just infantry to counter the Obersoldaten, you're going to get wrecked.

I'v played a few matches where my enemies(In 2v2) managed to hold back my Obersoldaten units for quite a while, so people really need to stop spreading the myth that these Obersoldaten's are reincarnations of the terminators from the Warhammer 40K universe or w/e other unrealistic comparison they can come up with.
23 Jun 2014, 22:38 PM

I threw a game over the weekend by using 3 squads of niche shock troops for fun. The price of these are around the same as obersoldaten.

The difference is, one of these fights using dildos and strap-ons for weapon and other one snipes you with LMG on the move while having accuracy bonus against retreating units.

A pair of obers will squadwipe every squad short of vetted shocks on retreat effortlessly.

Try wiping something with shocks that isn't MG42 team.
23 Jun 2014, 22:54 PM

23 Jun 2014, 23:21 PM

People whine about Anti-infantry, Infantry counters. Fun thing is, OkW Have no reliable Vehicle Anti-infantry, no the luchs does not count as it is super random, it either goes on a rampage, or tickles squads and dies just as fast as a Scout car (besides the immunity to small arms).

Luchs also comes far too late now for mobile "early game" Anti infantry. Feel it and maybe the Flak half-track need switching trucks. The Flaktrack is more mid-late game area denial/defense.

Would also mean you have a choice: Luchs for Anti infantry, or Puma for Anti vehicle.

If I'm going to spend 80 fuel on the Flak sWs I'll either be getting it as the third for KT or for Sturm/Panther.

So no, Obers aren't really OP, they are exactly what the faction needs.
24 Jun 2014, 01:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I wont say they are OP or not, but this sounds just like old Shocktroops :)
24 Jun 2014, 02:18 AM

I wont say they are OP or not, but this sounds just like old Shocktroops :)

No. Just no. Shock troops were an early call in and were effectively only countered by tanks(or German snipers) . They were destroying armored cars without loosing a model and just shitted over every cover mechanics due their armour.
Obersoldaten need the t4 truck, which is a expensive fuel investion. Thus they come in mid game but can be countered by t1 units.
PAGES (15)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS