Login

russian armor

So what's new?

19 May 2014, 14:49 PM

I stopped playing COH2 around December due to the DLC commanders.

I just wanted to know what has changed since then? Are they still hammering out DLC commanders? There must be 1 million by now right?

Are there any signs that they will abolish the DLC commanders?

It upsets me. COH2 could be such an amazing game. Without DLC this would be an amazing game. Instead they have destroyed the competitive aspect of the game.

What Relic has to realise is that they are competing with other titles that don't have such ridiculous milking strategies. I have simply switched to a game that doesn't treat its community like idiots.

Perhaps when they release an expansion they could get rid of DLC commanders or remove them from Automatch? Is this possible? If they do they I will come back for sure. The game will probably be dead by then though.

OK thanks, I just wanted to QQ dreaming about how good this game should have been. :)
19 May 2014, 14:55 PM

While the game improved greatly and was in never better state before(equal early game, slight german advantage mid game, pretty equal late game excluding ele and ISU), what are the "competing" titles you speak off?

Because there is nothing similar to CoH2 and other RTS games are so much difference that comparisons in other way then "this is RTS and this is RTS" are not in place.

Don't count on getting rid of the DLC model, because that will never happen, it might be improved, but it will not be removed.
19 May 2014, 14:56 PM

Soviet Windustry and Tiger Ace have been nerfed.

There have been no new paid Commanders. There are some new free ones though.

The latest couple of patches completely revamped Infantry and Vehicle combat.

There is a new multiplayer expansion coming in a month with 2 new factions and new maps.

Give it a try, it's really good now.
19 May 2014, 15:06 PM

I'm sorry I won't be giving it a try until all the DLC commanders become free or are removed. When I play online games I take them seriously. I want to try out the commanders so I can figure out how they work more effectively and therefore how to counter them/use them. With DLC commanders that becomes a never-ending cycle or spending more and more money on the game. It just cannot be a competitive game with this DLC policy in place for other obvious reasons. I don't mind spending like £1.50 on a skin though. I have already spent about £12 on DLC commanders and I felt dirty afterwards and I stopped playing soon after. I would spend that money on skins for sure if they were cheap.

If the expansion removes DLC from automatch the I will come back. Otherwise not.

Thanks for the info :)

19 May 2014, 15:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2014, 14:55 PMKatitof
What are the "competing" titles you speak off?

You trolling, right?
19 May 2014, 15:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

You trolling, right?

Right back at you.
19 May 2014, 15:26 PM

I joined the game about the time you left, and I was disappointed tbh. The mechanics were shitty, DLC commanders seemed like a cheap cash grab, etc. However, there have been 3 patches since then, the 2nd one of which completely overhauled the Infantry combat, bringing it more in line with that of vCOH.
As for the commanders, they aren't so bad anymore. The OP Elite Troops and Soviet Industry were nerfed in the February patch, plus there have been 4 free commanders as well, which really added flavor to the game, so much so that I have become a supported of the commander system; It adds new units, abilities and keeps the meta from becoming stale - As long as the commanders aren't OP.

All in all, the game is in a really good place right now; enjoyable and balanced. Western Fronts looks promising as well.
19 May 2014, 15:29 PM

COH2 goes like this:

1) Make a lot of infantry.
2) If you're Ostheer, you get maxim or conspammed. If lucky, you fight some cars, which gives you lots of map control.
3) If you can hold on, as Ostheer you get 2 paks and an AC. Soviets make AT guns if their mines don't kill your AC.
4) You make Elefant in 2v2 or 2 Tigers in 1v1. If you're feeling really lucky or want to troll, hold out for Tiger Ace.
5) Soviets make ISU or IS2 or Shermans. Everyone's infantry now dies because Relic didn't want us noobs to have to micro both infantry and tanks late game, so the tanks obliterate all the infantry now.
6) Heavy tanks shoot at each other till someone wins.

19 May 2014, 15:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2014, 15:26 PMKhan
As for the commanders, they aren't so bad anymore. The OP Elite Troops and Soviet Industry were nerfed in the February patch, plus there have been 4 free commanders as well, which really added flavor to the game, so much so that I have become a supported of the commander system; It adds new units, abilities and keeps the meta from becoming stale - As long as the commanders aren't OP.

All in all, the game is in a really good place right now; enjoyable and balanced. Western Fronts looks promising as well.

I'm not bothered about the commanders being OP as such, it's more the principle and how it affects the game competitively that I don't like.

My 2 cents: Relic should be concentrating on growing the player base. Judging from Steam it seems the player count has peaked already. I know a few other people that stopped playing too who would have stayed without the DLC commanders. There are no tournaments apart from SNF, which is telling.

That's sad for a game which is not even a year old.

But I'm glad you are having fun. I wish I could :(
19 May 2014, 16:46 PM

Permanently Banned
They force you to buy commanders... But this help the game support...

I like the Tiger tank, G43, smoke, etc. Soo i need buy... Dont exist a perfect commander too...
19 May 2014, 16:54 PM

COH2 goes like this:

1) Make a lot of infantry.
2) If you're Ostheer, you get maxim or conspammed. If lucky, you fight some cars, which gives you lots of map control.
3) If you can hold on, as Ostheer you get 2 paks and an AC. Soviets make AT guns if their mines don't kill your AC.
4) You make Elefant in 2v2 or 2 Tigers in 1v1. If you're feeling really lucky or want to troll, hold out for Tiger Ace.
5) Soviets make ISU or IS2 or Shermans. Everyone's infantry now dies because Relic didn't want us noobs to have to micro both infantry and tanks late game, so the tanks obliterate all the infantry now.
6) Heavy tanks shoot at each other till someone wins.

I actually had a game yesterday where both me and my opponent used combined arms and doctrines without call-in tanks. It was glorious, the most fun I have had in this game for a long time. But yeah 95% of the games go like how you described it.
19 May 2014, 17:09 PM

I'm sorry I won't be giving it a try until all the DLC commanders become free or are removed.

then you probably should start looking for a new game and never go back here.
19 May 2014, 17:12 PM

sadly, while coh 2 might have its flaws, its the only WW2 rts that is not completely dead and has atleast a somewhat alive multiplayer community. (men of war doesn't count since its more of realtimetactics than strategy).

If there was something other than COH 2 for eastern front WW2 multiplayer rts, i would gladly try it out. Sadly there isin't. Which is why i play COH 2.
19 May 2014, 17:21 PM

I'm sorry I won't be giving it a try until all the DLC commanders become free or are removed.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you'd enjoy SC2 a lot more than CoH2. There's nothing wrong with that, but personally I find SC2 incredibly boring because the lack of flavor and variety.

I'm not trying to beat up on SC2 because it's a good game in it's own right, but it happens to be the perfect example of this. It's usually a pretty well balanced game due to the fact that there is less variety. Think about all the different little things that you can do with your army in CoH2 to customize it and adapt it to your individual play style. You can even change the appearance of your units, and the performance of them very slightly.

Those sorts of things make the game more interesting to me, but they do inevitably cause balance issues. Some people thing a perfectly balanced game is more fun, others think a game with more variety and flavor is more fun. There's nothing wrong with either choice, but I happen to fall into the latter group and prefer a game like CoH2 to SC2 - even if the balance does suffer.
19 May 2014, 17:27 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I'm not bothered about the commanders being OP as such, it's more the principle and how it affects the game competitively that I don't like.

You seem committed to a course of posting which apparently takes little or no account of what others are telling you.

My 2 cents: Relic should be concentrating on growing the player base. Judging from Steam it seems the player count has peaked already. I know a few other people that stopped playing too who would have stayed without the DLC commanders.

They are. Free weekend trials.....Humble Bundle....

There are no tournaments apart from SNF, which is telling.

When only this weekend there was an ESL tourney? And another tourney next weekend...... Please stop now. Your flaming is embarassing.

That's sad for a game which is not even a year old.

Go away and read up on your own, you idle man

But I'm glad you are having fun. I wish I could :(

We are. Byeeee....:)
19 May 2014, 18:27 PM

I'm not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you'd enjoy SC2 a lot more than CoH2. There's nothing wrong with that, but personally I find SC2 incredibly boring because the lack of flavor and variety.

I'm not trying to beat up on SC2 because it's a good game in it's own right, but it happens to be the perfect example of this. It's usually a pretty well balanced game due to the fact that there is less variety. Think about all the different little things that you can do with your army in CoH2 to customize it and adapt it to your individual play style. You can even change the appearance of your units, and the performance of them very slightly.

Those sorts of things make the game more interesting to me, but they do inevitably cause balance issues. Some people thing a perfectly balanced game is more fun, others think a game with more variety and flavor is more fun. There's nothing wrong with either choice, but I happen to fall into the latter group and prefer a game like CoH2 to SC2 - even if the balance does suffer.

I do prefer COH2 to Starcraft 2 I would say if the DLCs weren't included. But with the Commander DLCs then Starcraft 2 wins every time.
19 May 2014, 18:31 PM

You seem committed to a course of posting which apparently takes little or no account of what others are telling you.

They are. Free weekend trials.....Humble Bundle....

When only this weekend there was an ESL tourney? And another tourney next weekend...... Please stop now. Your flaming is embarassing.

Go away and read up on your own, you idle man

We are. Byeeee....:)

I am just giving my opinion on why I stopped playing this game. Why the tears? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
19 May 2014, 18:31 PM

19 May 2014, 18:35 PM
Patrion 14

wow. another person who refuses to pay for new contents and assert that developers should dish out new contents for free, while acting like he's the one in the right with principles that relic obviously doesn't have.

p.s.:

i don't know how you expect relic to grow their player base. advertise on internet/tv with money people like you won't give for a fair day's work? there were already many free weekends and sales but this game ain't that easy to jump in to, unlike fps.
19 May 2014, 18:44 PM

Cosmetic items? And I have never seen a COH2 advertisement in my life. Name me one competitive e-sports game that has DLC content that introduces new units/items that completely change the game? There isn't one because if you make the game for competitive play then DLC commanders go against the principle of fair game design.

I don't really mind. People seem to have fun which is kewl with me, but what I don't get is that with the interviews I have seen with Relic devs, they all seemed like they wanted to the game to be a success on the competitive scene. Well, I think they made some fundamentally flawed decisions if that was their intention. Or was this yet another lie from Relic? Relic seem to have broken a number of promises that they made to the community. I don't think I'm going to buy another game of theirs. I feel a bit conned.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★