Login

russian armor

Stream Web Camera

17 Feb 2013, 10:57 AM

Well , webcams get more viewers, and for most people that's all the incentive necessary.

Broadly speaking, people like looking at other people for our own wierd voyeuristic tendencies. I, too, find having a random guy's face staring at me to be on the other side of creepy, hence why I don't do it myself. But if you look at the stream list at peak times when there are a number of 'most watched' players streaming at once, the guys at the top are usually the ones with cams.
17 Feb 2013, 11:44 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2013, 10:57 AMTommy
Well , webcams get more viewers, and for most people that's all the incentive necessary.

Broadly speaking, people like looking at other people for our own wierd voyeuristic tendencies. I, too, find having a random guy's face staring at me to be on the other side of creepy, hence why I don't do it myself. But if you look at the stream list at peak times when there are a number of 'most watched' players streaming at once, the guys at the top are usually the ones with cams.

I find it interesting that you and some others find it creepy and narcissistic. For me I like to see that there's actually a person behind the screen. When I watch a stream without a webcam I become bored quite quickly as I feel there's no interaction between the viewers and the streamer and I can't see their reactions or tell what they might be thinking. A 24/7 camera for you Ohmwrecker might narcissistic but for me I think it's a good idea because you get to see the player's reactions all the time. For example a KT rolls on the field I immediately look at the webcam to see the reaction. If you took the webcam off for certain parts you would miss quite a lot in my opinion.

I wish we could take this to a poll and see what the majority of people think.
17 Feb 2013, 12:20 PM

I don't think it's narcissistic, I think it just taps into our natural, and strange, voyeurism.
17 Feb 2013, 13:35 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2013, 12:20 PMTommy
I don't think it's narcissistic, I think it just taps into our natural, and strange, voyeurism.

Sorry I didn't mean you were narcissistic I meant Ohmwrecker my mistake.
17 Feb 2013, 13:39 PM

All these big words. I actually had to google what they mean MVGame
17 Feb 2013, 14:37 PM

It's good to put a face on a stream, it adds value and interactions (good or bad). Just taking my own example. Moustache, Pepsi/Coca, Russian hat, strange mimics. Webcam add funs and lulz imo.
17 Feb 2013, 14:51 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2013, 14:37 PMPepsi
It's good to put a face on a stream, it adds value and interactions (good or bad). Just taking my own example. Moustache, Pepsi/Coca, Russian hat, strange mimics. Webcam add funs and lulz imo.

+1
17 Feb 2013, 14:52 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

All these big words. I actually had to google what they mean MVGame

Admittedly I did too. MVGame
17 Feb 2013, 15:02 PM

This has got me curious now. I've always enjoyed reading all the chat inbetween games and don't start automatching straight away just so I have the opportunity to do this. I thought this scene set up seems to gives the chat more attention. Some people seem to hate it though and I would like to know the reason why?

Not including the reason I forget to switch to just the main screen a lot of the time. Thanks. MVGame

17 Feb 2013, 15:06 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

This has got me curious now. I've always enjoyed reading all the chat inbetween games and don't start automatching straight away just so I have the opportunity to do this. I thought this scene set up seems to gives the chat more attention. Some people seem to hate it though and I would like to know the reason why?

Not including the reason I forget to switch to just the main screen a lot of the time. Thanks. MVGame

Well it isn't a bad idea I kinda like it and it owns your own touch compared to other streamers. My one problem with this is that it is hard to see what you are looking at on your main screen. Most of the time you change to this screen after the game finishes and we the viewers do not get too see the after game stats. Other than that it's sweet =].
17 Feb 2013, 15:28 PM

I like the custom scenes you have Stephenn, you really bring streaming to a higher level doing something like that and it makes you unique and stand out from the crowd.

I don't really care for the webcams, I have nothing against them but neither is it something I need to watch a stream, some of the most enjoyable streams I've seen had no webcam, but instead the gameplay was just top notch.
17 Feb 2013, 16:41 PM

For me I like to see that there's actually a person behind the screen. When I watch a stream without a webcam I become bored quite quickly as I feel there's no interaction between the viewers and the streamer and I can't see their reactions or tell what they might be thinking.

This. I think it's just more entertaining to have the person playing have a webcam because there's more interaction. For example, when you ask a question in chat or say something and the person streaming alt+tabs to chat and you can tell he's reading it and then responds to the question, it's like he's talking to you instead of just a random voice answering the question. This is why people like C0mplex1ty always have 100s of viewers even though their playing itself isn't "pro" level. (Also, boobs.)
17 Feb 2013, 21:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2013, 10:57 AMTommy
Broadly speaking, people like looking at other people for our own wierd voyeuristic tendencies.

Dont you think facial expressions are an essential part of communication....

Position A is preferred over B, but the camera in the top right corner seems to work quite good as well.
17 Feb 2013, 22:24 PM
Caster Badge

Hmm. I dunno, in some cases i just don't even watch if there is a camera. I just find it rather jars with the entire experience.
17 Feb 2013, 23:47 PM

It seems all the good players prefer A or no camera while all the more spectator type people enjoy B
18 Feb 2013, 01:21 AM

I dont really watch streams, largely since most good players have webcams. I'd much rather just watch a shoutcast.
18 Feb 2013, 01:43 AM

Ok thanks for that Hans I never really thought of that! Cheers Fatal :)

I dont really watch streams, largely since most good players have webcams. I'd much rather just watch a shoutcast.

Yeah but I think a player streaming is a completely different thing to the commentary of a shoutcaster anyway. It's sort of like watching a game of sport on the television.

A commentator entertainment value is provided purely through audio, they never ever show the commentary team unless its a half-time break or something which theres nothing happening in-game. A video would draw away from the main source of entertainment and literally add nothing to the viewers experience. Watching an athletes reaction to an event naturally feels more a part of the game than that of a commentators, but the main focus is still the game itself. It's just like having an extra camera catching some off the ball play in the end.
18 Feb 2013, 03:29 AM

No camera. I want to see the game, not your mug. None of yall are particularly easy on the eyes either.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Netherlands 17
South Africa 6
Germany 828
Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %