Login

russian armor

Relic is looking for a Community Manager

12 Feb 2013, 17:41 PM

well here is 1 way Sega is changing things

http://relic.com/work-at-relic/Community-Manager/

they want a guy who is both an amazing manager of communications and PR AND the "online technical guru" ?

maybe in his spare time they can get the community manager to evaluate the latest 3D rendering techniques...

HR really did a great job on this one!
12 Feb 2013, 17:51 PM

RO technical guru basically just sounds like the current role of the CM- to ensure the servers are working and bug the guys who handle them when they go down, make sure the map list is correct etc etc...
12 Feb 2013, 17:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2013, 17:51 PMTommy
RO technical guru basically just sounds like the current role of the CM- to ensure the servers are working and bug the guys who handle them when they go down, make sure the map list is correct etc etc...

"Applied knowledge of HTML, XHTML, CSS, RSS
Applied knowledge of current commercial web development software packages such as, Front Page, Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive
Web project management experience"

to properly fill all these roles this poor guy will have no time to actually play the game.
or even sample all sorts of different games to keep on top of the latest developments in the industry.

sounds to me like HR just rolled 2 jobs into 1.
12 Feb 2013, 18:01 PM

I wasn't even aware that dreamweaver was created anymore. I thought Adobe bought dreamweaver and then forgot it existed.
12 Feb 2013, 18:06 PM

what in the name of God is "Front Page".
is that that MS thing my grandpa used and use and was discontinued when i was like 12.
12 Feb 2013, 18:39 PM

The job is probably taken by now.
12 Feb 2013, 20:04 PM

"Applied knowledge of HTML, XHTML, CSS, RSS
Applied knowledge of current commercial web development software packages such as, Front Page, Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive
Web project management experience"

to properly fill all these roles this poor guy will have no time to actually play the game.
or even sample all sorts of different games to keep on top of the latest developments in the industry.

sounds to me like HR just rolled 2 jobs into 1.

lolwut?!

the requirements list for a paperboy is longer/more extensive than that...
12 Feb 2013, 23:06 PM

Hmm, I got a good nose for commercial stuff and shit. Also can work with Dreamweaver. Yup this will be my next job fo sho.

Indeed seriously, where the hell will you find this 'superman' that has all the required skills.
You have a peoples manager on the one side and then you got the IT guy on the other. Damn this job better pay good for the poor bastard who's gonna get it.
12 Feb 2013, 23:30 PM

Hey, they get a whole day dedicated to them!!

"Community Manager Appreciation Day takes place every 4th Monday of January as a way to recognize and celebrate the efforts of community managers around the world using social media and other tools to improve customer experiences."

Gotta earn it!!

12 Feb 2013, 23:55 PM

whoever thinks those requirements are too high has either never applied for a job, never seen an ad for a job opening, or does not have a university education (but even most people without one will know that those requirements are not out of the ordinary).

the weirdest thing about those requirements (and the most obvious sign that they are not to be taken at face value), is that the mentioned programs are pretty uncommon/outdated (both frontpage and golive are discontinued, and i've never actually seen anyone use them... last time i touched dreamweaver was 10+ years ago).

13 Feb 2013, 01:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Feb 2013, 23:55 PMcr4wler
whoever thinks those requirements are too high has either never applied for a job, never seen an ad for a job opening, or does not have a university education (but even most people without one will know that those requirements are not out of the ordinary).

the weirdest thing about those requirements (and the most obvious sign that they are not to be taken at face value), is that the mentioned programs are pretty uncommon/outdated (both frontpage and golive are discontinued, and i've never actually seen anyone use them... last time i touched dreamweaver was 10+ years ago).

i have a BASc. that took four and two thirds years to earn

no one will have the combination of work experience and skills they are looking for
its evident from the combination of skills they are looking for this is 2 jobs rolled into 1

its clear they don't know wtf they are asking for...
HR did a poor job on this posting... end of story.
13 Feb 2013, 02:05 AM

All kidding aside, HR did a piss poor job on this announcement. I've worked in HR, these qualifications are outdated, and frankly over the top. I'm not even sure someone with HR experience wrote this posting.

Evangelize?! Online Technical guru... experienced with outdated tech?...wtf is that?! Frontpage was discontinued in 2003!

Is someone fishing for desperate, recently out of work employees from the THQ pond? Or are they lookin for someone who can Bullshit a resume...and possibly an entire online community?
Only Relic postRelic 13 Feb 2013, 03:06 AM
Developer Relic Badge

13 Feb 2013, 04:21 AM
Senior Caster Badge

no one will have the combination of work experience and skills they are looking for
its evident from the combination of skills they are looking for this is 2 jobs rolled into 1

Uh, yeah, whatever. Whether it's 2 jobs rolled into one or just one job with lots of requirements, it's not at all ridiculous to ask for someone with those skills. There are thousands of people out there with all of these skills. HTML/CSS/RSS/Dreamweaver is hardly impossible to learn.
13 Feb 2013, 15:19 PM

There is nothing wrong with posting requirements of their ideal community manager. Whether they will find him/her is a different matter, but surely not impossible. Even the most simple jobs, as perceived by society that is, have the word "manager" in it these days...

Congrats on earning your BASc. Although, in many European countries, this title is not considered a university degree.

13 Feb 2013, 16:53 PM

as i said: only thing strange is the programs they expect you to be accustomed with... but since it says "applied knowledge" and "5 years of experience"... even that is not that strange.

it is very evident that you don't have the faintest clue what you are talking about. end of story.
13 Feb 2013, 16:54 PM
Coder Red Badge

Bachelor is a must degree anyway these days. Nothing to brag about ;)
Hux
13 Feb 2013, 17:38 PM
Patrion 14

So I got the job...

And as new CM, the first order of business is CoH2 is cancelled. End of sotry
13 Feb 2013, 17:43 PM

It just sounds like they are looking for someone who knows how to save a document in HTML format like a forum news post, for example.
Notice the lack of a requirement of server side knowledge.

This isn't 2 jobs rolled into 1 - it's just run-of-the-mill manager/HR clueless BS that is seen in a lot of job postings.

Try again, bachelor boy
13 Feb 2013, 18:59 PM

Two things -

1. I recall that this job was posted before THQ went under, even while Bobby was still employed.

2. I see nothing wrong with this job posting. The vast majority of the responsibilities and requirements listed are entirely related to the world of Community Management today. This includes being able to provide frequent updates to game / company related websites, and even providing some input as to what direction the company should go in future revisions of sites. As you can see though, that's only a small part of the job. The bulk of the work is related to working with, managing, and representing the community.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 109
unknown 10
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak