Login

russian armor

Replays and Patches

8 May 2014, 02:14 AM

Come on now, Relic. You need to properly implement a replay system where I can at least view replays across different patches. This is the third week in a row where there has been minor ninja patches, server maintenance, hotfixes and whatnot, and ALL the replays I've saved up or gathered from the replay section are essentially useless.

What good is a replay system or a replay viewer if everything is thrown out the window for every update?

Today bumped CoH2 to 3.0.0.13644 from 3.0.0.13559 - nothing balance-wise got changed, and all the replays are wiped clean yet again.

GG Relic.
8 May 2014, 02:19 AM

That does need to be fixed.
8 May 2014, 03:51 AM

Have any of you guys seen Command & Conquer 3's replay system? It is fantastic!

-Patches have no effect on replay viewing
-You can watch the replay from your own view, any player's view, or even a commentators view.
-The commentator can draw on the screen like sports casters.

Say what you want about C&C 3 as a game, but I have yet to see a better implementation of a replay system in any video game, ever.
8 May 2014, 06:25 AM

Have any of you guys seen Command & Conquer 3's replay system? It is fantastic!

-Patches have no effect on replay viewing
-You can watch the replay from your own view, any player's view, or even a commentators view.
-The commentator can draw on the screen like sports casters.

Say what you want about C&C 3 as a game, but I have yet to see a better implementation of a replay system in any video game, ever.

Some good stuff indeed.
8 May 2014, 07:32 AM

Pathetic. Period.
8 May 2014, 12:36 PM

Big big blunder from RELIC, and this at 2014. It s a shame really!!!
8 May 2014, 12:43 PM

Preaching to the choir, another reason why I am hesitant on coming back to the game.
8 May 2014, 13:28 PM
Coder Red Badge

You can manually fix replays between patches that don't have attribute changes by editing the replay version with a hex editor.

As for native support, it's very unlikely in my opinion. CoH2 is built heavily on vCoH's tech, which wasn't designed with this in mind. You'd have to make some sweeping changes to how attribute files are stored and loaded in order for something like this to work. Maybe it'll happen in an expansion release, but I highly doubt it. It's just too much work for too little return.
8 May 2014, 14:31 PM

You can manually fix replays between patches that don't have attribute changes by editing the replay version with a hex editor.

As for native support, it's very unlikely in my opinion. CoH2 is built heavily on vCoH's tech, which wasn't designed with this in mind. You'd have to make some sweeping changes to how attribute files are stored and loaded in order for something like this to work. Maybe it'll happen in an expansion release, but I highly doubt it. It's just too much work for too little return.

I think it is because the replay is telling the game to recreate unit X doing action Y every time but never record the outcome Z, so after each patch if there is a stat change, it would be different and causing crazy stuff so they remove it every time.

e.g. Original from the replay old patch Tiger was shooting at some oohwaing cons but killing nothing, but this patch it can one shot squad wipe.
8 May 2014, 14:57 PM
Coder Red Badge

That's why I said you'd have to change how attribute files are stored and loaded. Other games that support non-current patch versions in replays do so by loading the attribute files for the game version that the replay was played on, so they run the simulation with the correct information. vCoH didn't have this functionality, and CoH2 is built heavily on vCoH's engine. It's not a trivial thing to add.
9 May 2014, 04:04 AM

They apparently forgot how to put lobbies and leaderboards in the game since the first one so I'm going to cut them some slack on this. It IS something that I have been lobbying for since the first game though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★