Login

russian armor

PCGamer CoH2 hands-on

7 Feb 2013, 11:32 AM

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/company-of-heroes-2-hands-on-we-feel-the-chill-in-relics-eastern-front-epic/

Largely already stuff we know, but I've isolated a few points of interest:

Relic are still fine-tuning the frequency of blizzards. Around three or four struck in each multiplayer game I played, but in the final game this may be reduced to the possibility of one per battle.

The new maps have been designed to cater to differing tastes. Open field maps reminiscent of CoH 1’s Angoville Farms should provide a good arena for 2v2 multiplayer battles, but Relic know that many players enjoyed facing off with friends against the AI. Tight maps with plenty of choke points have been created for those that love a good ‘comp stomp’.

Whether you’re facing a human or AI opponent, every completed game will earn experience for your Company of Heroes 2 profile. Over the course of 20 levels you’ll unlock a series of tweaks for Soviet and German forces.

“If I really like to play with cover… I might get an intel bulletin that increases my cover bonus by 10%, or something like that. It’ll be things like units take a little bit less damage in cover, units move a little bit faster, units do a little bit more damage against a certain type of vehicle. It’s always going to be very slight.”

Berger seconds this. “One thing that was very important for us is that if you unbox the game, and I’ve been playing for a hundred hours and have access to everything – if you’re a better player than me you will beat me with your straight-out-of-the-box experience.”

If you’re thinking that commanders, unit skins and intel bulletins provide the perfect opportunity for future DLC packs, then you’re bang on the money.
7 Feb 2013, 11:43 AM

Nice I like the sound of all of that. Only thing that worries me is bulletins but I am sure there will be an option for no bulletins in like basic games. All like only 1 or 2 blizzards per game, thats nice :)
7 Feb 2013, 12:10 PM

Wait, he thinks a 10% better cover bonus is slight?

Why do I doubt that it's "slight" when you're actually playing?

Jesus. Unlocks, unlocks everywhere. Can we please just stop doing this as an industry/hobby/whatever?
7 Feb 2013, 12:21 PM

20 levels again, I like that :D
7 Feb 2013, 12:24 PM

These 20 levels sound more like DOW2 ranks rather than COH levels.
It's experience, not real level. And your level will only increase, even with losses, and even vs AI.
7 Feb 2013, 12:47 PM

GuruSkippy is right. He is always right.
7 Feb 2013, 13:45 PM

Yeah it sounds like given enough time everyone will be level 20. What fun.

Right now I see CoH2 as like a cake analogy. CoH was a delicious cake to start with and there was loads of it. In an attempt to add more to this delicious cake, it was covered in icing and sprinkles. That tasted strange at first but hey, the cake underneath is still great.

CoH2 is another cake made by the same people, but they forgot that it was the cake that made it delicious and not the icing, so this time the cake is mostly one giant block of icing covered with sprinkles and edible bits of paper and all the other shit that's just there to look nice. For most people it looks like an even more delicious cake from a distance, but for everyone who sampled the original they know its no comparison.

What a shame the original cake is getting a little stale by now.
7 Feb 2013, 13:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Feb 2013, 13:45 PMTommy
Yeah it sounds like given enough time everyone will be level 20. What fun.

Doesn't everyone say "rank doesnt mean anything in COH1" anyway already? Tournaments are the place to show that you have skill, or not. This won't change in COH2, no matter the ranking system.
7 Feb 2013, 13:53 PM

Only because there's so few good players left laddering. Back when the ladder was active and full of those same tournament winners, it meant a lot to be in the top XXX.
7 Feb 2013, 13:56 PM

Don't worry, there will be a real level system too for multiplayer.
We just don't know what the system will be yet, coh level system or elo system (if elo, please no rest pool).

The 20 levels they talk about will be used to unlock commanders/intel bulletins, and maybe new skins too. It would be really bad if they chose to unlock some things only for the best players...
Raz
7 Feb 2013, 13:56 PM

Maybe the ladder will have different rank?

The level is just for unlocking those bonuses or whatvere.
7 Feb 2013, 14:05 PM
Benefactor 115

if levels aren't as important then we just need more tournaments. It's most likely that they will be making your elo ratings visible rather than the arbitrary levels.
7 Feb 2013, 14:23 PM

7 Feb 2013, 14:47 PM

I sincerely hope that ranked matches dont allow you to activate that 10% cover bullshit. Im all for breaking people into the game slowly by giving them unlockable goods and allowing them to think that they are the best by being level 20, but ranked should be totally seperate from all that stuff. We are relying on noobs to inflate the community so get them interested, then introduce them to ranked.

Also, about the cake.
CoH = Perfect Chocolate Cake
OF = Something wierd put in the cake like cabbage or something that makes it taste strange, but still ok.
ToV = Someone replaced the middle layer of melted chocolate with smeared dog shit without telling anyone.

7 Feb 2013, 15:29 PM
Senior Caster Badge

There is nothing good about intelligence bulletins. Dawn of War 2 only had cosmetic unlocks and that was the right way to do it. Nobody should be able to build a better or more versatile army just because they have played longer (or just because they bought an XP boost in the in-game store with money, which is why I suspect these are things you have to unlock instead of things they just give us in the first place if they wanted army customization).
7 Feb 2013, 17:17 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

The Cake is a Lie.
7 Feb 2013, 17:52 PM

Guys you're too old-fashioned, really. Skins, bulletins, XP gaining, achievments, unlocks? I don't see anything bad. All this stuff will create more interesting random elements in battle - we love random in CoH, ja?

Plus I think everyone will be happy to explore this game more if he'd be awarded with some achievment or unit skin.
7 Feb 2013, 17:57 PM

CoH2 is another cake made by the same people, but they forgot that it was the cake that made it delicious and not the icing, so this time the cake is mostly one giant block of icing covered with sprinkles and edible bits of paper and all the other shit that's just there to look nice. For most people it looks like an even more delicious cake from a distance, but for everyone who sampled the original they know its no comparison.

Hmm that does not sound really promising , are you sure you are as objective as possible , or has some early coh nostalgia settled in ? Knowing a little bit on food science though i can say that we can make almost anything taste nice :P , or change the initial taste in the process of one thing to another , here is hoping relic can do the same if you are right .

I want these as ranks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Army_ranks_and_insignia

Then we 'll need to find you an avatar of an old grumpy soviet general covered with badges from head to shoes , murderous penguin is pretty badass though :D

7 Feb 2013, 17:59 PM

Who ever said your level has anything to do with your "rank"? Your "level" probably determines what unit modifiers, skins, and other extra stuff you have access to. I imagine the competitive ladder is done completely separate from this.

Think of it like CoD or WoW. Sure the higher level players have access to more stuff, but the measure of skill has no correlation (ex. k/d or arena).
7 Feb 2013, 18:09 PM

Good news, I am looking forward to more info, thanks Tommy.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Mexico 24
United Kingdom 146
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak