Login

russian armor

PGrens post 4/24 patch

28 Apr 2014, 14:35 PM

This is just a thought and maybe I'm way off the mark...

Perhaps relic is balancing German units to play more defensively. I mean are P-grens really supposed to be an assault unit? There's nothing that says you can't use them for close range DEFENSE? just because they are good at close range doesn't mean they have to charge headlong into a concript/maxim/guard formation.

Think about it like this. Move up a LMG 42 gren squad or two. Start laying down some heavy long range fire, which btw germans have absolute dominance in this regard. When the cons/penals/shocks make their inevitable Ooorah/ smoke covered charge, do a small tactical retreat with your LMG42 Grens into a P-gren ambush. If you're really clever you might even be able to use you know - ambush camouflage.

Germans are supposed to have long range infantry dominance and they do. When I've seen german players use both ass grens and p-grens in more defensive roles to cover around their LMG42 and HMG42 it can be quite difficult for a shock/penal/conscript charge to be successful.

And in reality this isn't too far off the mark historically. Prior to assault rifles becoming prevalent, german infantry tactics all pivoted around the use of the MG42. As the war progressed soviets became adept at concentrating fire on the MG42 and overrunning the line. With the advent of the STG44 german defense lines now had many high ROF points that were difficult to concentrate on and it was more mobile. Food for thought.

28 Apr 2014, 14:45 PM

How does one stay in mid range when opposing units receive the greatest chances of winning by closing that distance or by staying at range?

How does one get into mid range without sustaining (considerable) fire in transit?

The only mid range that feasibly exists is the distance a squad takes to go from long to close range. And that is what pgrens are good at: firing on the move and closing the distance. Now, they're worse off before and after they close that distance, so if just the initial push isn't enough, then it really won't be enough.
28 Apr 2014, 15:25 PM

How does one stay in mid range when opposing units receive the greatest chances of winning by closing that distance or by staying at range?

How does one get into mid range without sustaining (considerable) fire in transit?

The only mid range that feasibly exists is the distance a squad takes to go from long to close range. And that is what pgrens are good at: firing on the move and closing the distance. Now, they're worse off before and after they close that distance, so if just the initial push isn't enough, then it really won't be enough.

Let see. LMG Gren behind Pgren. Come at me Bro.

They arent supposed to be run and gun against Soviet infantry in cover rambos. Not even Shock Troops can pull that off anymore. Thats like saying LMG Grens are owning my Shocks on the charge they is broken!

Or you could put them in an M3 MVGame
28 Apr 2014, 15:53 PM

I stopped building pgrens after this patch, they get beat by conscripts fairly easily. Yes they are the king of mid range but thats the least likely of ranges to be fighting at, so with the high reinforce cost, there is only their role as at inf that makes them worth building.
28 Apr 2014, 22:47 PM

Yesterday I had a little fun with PG. I used them as suggested by devs and kept them medium distance and they were very effective, especially against PPSH Cons. When they fixed reinforcing cost they should be fine. Panzershrecks still do serious damage to T-34. Don't charge head on. Go for a flank.
2 of 2 Relic postsRelic 29 Apr 2014, 01:23 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Reinforcing cost is fine. Make sure you don't have two units selected at once, or the UI will combine the reinforcement cost of both units.
29 Apr 2014, 01:25 AM

So it's more of a glitch then? Good to know.
29 Apr 2014, 02:54 AM
Patrion 15

Reinforcing cost is fine. Make sure you don't have two units selected at once, or the UI will combine the reinforcement cost of both units.

Edit, never mind I get what hes saying now
29 Apr 2014, 05:06 AM

No. Hes just referring to what pops up on the HUD display if you hover your mouse over the reinforce icon with multiple squads selected.
29 Apr 2014, 06:06 AM

Actually I don't believe that the infantry units are the issue. By using combined arms you should be able to stand against anything soviets are throwing at you.
The problem is with the soviet armor that seems to powerfull now. I think I'll change tactics and spam stugs paks and shrecks like shit :). the quantity not the quality, lol. That means playing russian style, comrades :)
29 Apr 2014, 07:04 AM

Interesting. Some more comments, please&
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS