(2 - 4) Karelia

6 Apr 2014, 19:17 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Name: (2 - 4) Karelia
Category: 1vs1
Workshop Page
Map Files (.sgb)

14 Apr 2014, 02:38 AM

Hey man great map, it really captures the imagination of how much more potential there is for CoH2 maps. I love the elevation usage its a very nice change of pace compared to the majority of mostly flat maps out there.

The feedback I wanted to give you on the map is the left starting position has an area north where line of sight is completely blocked by a mass of trees. Its not a terribly important spot but there is a point behind those trees and a path. I noticed it immediately that I cannot see behind these trees to click on the point or control my troops at all without rotating the map. So that's my feedback so far of things that I think could use a tweak. Great map! Beautiful and original.
15 Apr 2014, 06:08 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I like the look of this bridge.

It just looks a little bit strange without water. It's really well done but those water pipes coming out of it looks cloned as well. A really small detail but I noticed it instantly.
16 Apr 2014, 05:54 AM

Honestly i love this map. I have played it many times. Just the rock design alone is amazing. Well done.
16 Apr 2014, 20:35 PM

I tried this map the other day, just a simple ai skirmish. Visually it looks great and is clearly "avant garde" as far as coh2 map design goes. However, the extreme hills do hinder visibility and playability. I would like to see some of the contours toned down a bit, I believe the visual appeal would remain intact, but the movement routes (where a player can and cannot go) would be more obvious. That's really my biggest crit, is that I had a hard time guessing retreat paths from certain areas of the map, as well as flanking approaches.
16 Apr 2014, 21:48 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

MB certainly does something with the editor you can't see in stock maps. He has his own style. Relic summer maps are all quite yellowish and brown, with medium details. I personally prefer MB's style over Relic's style.
16 Apr 2014, 22:33 PM

Certainly, I agree with you Janne, to a degree. I think the look and style is great, but as far as game mechanics go, it could be "cleaned up". It's hard to say exactly what that means. All I know is that some of the contours could be less extreme to allow the player to intuitively know where inaccessible terrain is AND/OR texture accessible areas differently. For instance, there are a lot of rock textures, which look amazing, but do not guide the player in terms of pathing.

A new style is always refreshing and I encourage this sort of design to push the envelopes of what coh2 maps can be.
18 Apr 2014, 21:43 PM
Developer Relic Badge

And I'm back!

I have to say, many thanks for your feedback, guys! You have no idea how much I appreciate comments on my maps!

So, we've touched on something that I too have had some problems with. Relic has a very minimalistic design on many of its maps (because often, less is more), but once you have something along the lines of Karelia, there is more detail (even if I do say so myself), which complicates things.

I am looking for a way to increase the "visual steepness" of the impassible cliffs, and changing the passible cliffs to appear passible.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm working on the land bridge as we speak!

[Edit] An improvement?

6 Mar 2015, 11:42 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

When there are 2 players USF WEST. No corridors so they cannot move units to base.
8 Jul 2015, 06:15 AM

I guess all Mappers love the US Base :)
Worst idea relic ever had !
24 Jul 2015, 22:14 PM

yes orc, the us base is terrible...i have one map where i made the base area a real feature...i am trying to fix it now so it kind of looks ok.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight