Login

russian armor

partisans

5 Apr 2014, 13:42 PM
Patrion 310

Has anyone gotten any experience with the commander that includes the partisans that can be called in for 180MP? They are vulnerable, but a good support and available very early to support a strong early game. I was an experienced CoH1 player and just started playing coh2 (after I played the beta in june). So Im not very experienced yet, but I like the unit as a support, plus they have grenades.

I use them with 3 conscripts, flamer upgrade if gren spam / molotov if mgs and heal upgrade.
2 irregulars
mortars / at and anti tank nades
the mid / late game is still messy.

edit: what I meant are irregulars.
5 Apr 2014, 13:48 PM

Permanently Banned
Idk, but there is a ToW mission where enemy spam them. Sometimes i was about to cry.
5 Apr 2014, 14:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

They are useful for harassment and can be a nasty surprise for support weapon teams. When I play against them I find them incredibly annoying and start destroying all the buildings on my side of the map so they can't spawn behind my lines.
5 Apr 2014, 14:13 PM
Patrion 310

they can spawn from buildings? I didnt even know that.
5 Apr 2014, 15:15 PM
Benefactor 351

they can spawn from buildings? I didnt even know that.

Depends witch commander u are using
5 Apr 2014, 15:30 PM
Patrion 310

i think i meant the soviet irregular troops. Its a small band of 4 infantry units that carry a random lmg like LMG or something that looks and sounds like a BAR.

The commander seems to be called something like: reserved soviet forces.
5 Apr 2014, 20:40 PM

Irregulars were so-so pre patch, but now they are probably the most cost effective soviet inf in the game IMO.

I usually have two or so squads sitting behind my cons and they make short work of any advancing gren/ass gren spam. The key is to know when to retreat them (And keep them in cover as much as possible) due to their relatively low survivability.
6 Apr 2014, 10:08 AM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2014, 20:40 PMRollo
Irregulars were so-so pre patch, but now they are probably the most cost effective soviet inf in the game IMO.

I usually have two or so squads sitting behind my cons and they make short work of any advancing gren/ass gren spam. The key is to know when to retreat them (And keep them in cover as much as possible) due to their relatively low survivability.

i think so too. but i still have to figure which BO is best with them. 3 cons doesnt seem to work because it got hardcountered by assault grens opening...I need to be agressive early game to get the quick XP point to send them in.

What do you use?
6 Apr 2014, 19:20 PM

i think so too. but i still have to figure which BO is best with them. 3 cons doesnt seem to work because it got hardcountered by assault grens opening...I need to be agressive early game to get the quick XP point to send them in.

What do you use?

Yea well I've only just started experimenting with them too, usually with the same 3/4 con start (which works quite well once you unlock PSSH's).

If I ever see ass gren spam I cancel my next squad and get tier 1 for clown cars ASAP. you really don't have much choice apart from that unfortunately.
7 Apr 2014, 07:35 AM
Patrion 310

that, and i've been trying to focus on munitions first, to get a quick flamer on my engie. they make your army much stronger already and xp flowing in quickly.
unfortunately, the irregulars have to be microd extremely well.
7 Apr 2014, 17:17 PM

They are alright and quite interesting, but it can be really hard not to get drained of manpower, esspecially once grens start vetting up, they just become totally superior.
9 Apr 2014, 09:15 AM
Patrion 310

When im not getting the XP point early enough, only having 3 cons can be really hard against the 3 grens that come early. But partisans are not really draining in my experience, dunno what their reinforce cost is...

Positive is that they also get the AT nade upgrade. So having 3 cons, 2 partisans and maybe a mine somewhere, can be good enough to surprise the AC with an AT nade. Late game they're only good to put in buildings or to support your flanks, since they drop like flies when focused fire.
9 Apr 2014, 09:52 AM
Donator 22

There is a huge gap between partisans and irregulars. First of all different doctrines, secondly their manpower, their equipment and lastly where they can spawn.
Since you said you mean irregulars we should use their name to not get confused :P

Irregulars cost about 180mp and spawn from the ordinary spawn points, where everything else like conscripts, support teams or tanks do as well. They are equipped with an lmg, either the german or the soviet one.

+ pros:
+ firepower
+ price (you can merge them with conscripts and save 2mp per model :D)
+ good performing anti-infantry nade
+ anti-tank nades (same you gotta upgrade for cons)

- cons:
- health; since they're using lmgs, try to use conscripts as a meatshield before them or stay on distance to not suddenly lose 3 guys in like 4 seconds. Make sure to stay away from enemy blobs, cuz they're gonna die quickly
- clumping; partisans come with 4 models, all quite close together, what makes them extremly vulnerable to nades and mortars (!) and tanks like P4 and Tiger
- veterancy; I am not entirely sure about this, but I guess in late game irregulars won't have such boosts as grenadiers or other german infantry forces do, what makes them worse then

- no call-ins; in this patch a lot of people just want to skip the expensive teching and call in something big instead, like the IS-2. Think this should be mentioned as well, but if you like teching and using the cons-repair for T34s or whatever: do it! =)

Note: at the moment irregulars are cheaper than Osttruppen - isn't that ridiculous?
9 Apr 2014, 12:53 PM
Patrion 310

ye, nice summary. I couldnt edit the OP title..pity.

Im not sure about their veterancy either. But perhaps they're not even that important late-game. I try to preserve them by having them stationary but losing them lategame wont be a heartbreaker. Early-mid game, together with the ppsh upgrade of cons its quite effective.

Im working on a strat with this commander now, ive just started playing this weekend so I still doubt the effectivity at high lvl play, but with 3 cons, ppsh upgrade, at nades, mines, then Tier3 T-34 is pretty much the most effective way of using the commander.
Since then you have
+ ppsh for 3 cons
+ cons to build sandbags for irregulars
+ at nades for 5 squads
+ 2 units that can throw normal nades
+ repair on cons for T-34s

Though mostly I also get a mortar and prolly an AT gun extra.
9 Apr 2014, 13:49 PM
Donator 22

Really sounds interesting! I'd love to see that working; if you want to add me on Steam (InsanePriest as well) and let us give it a try =)
10 Apr 2014, 15:24 PM

I use this commander almost all the time.
BO:
Cons T2 maxim maxim cons muni cache irregular irregular at nade muni cache medics.
Note that it should be TWO maxims, because a single maxim can be easily overwhelmed by overpowered grenadiers. Two maxims cover each other, they suppress more squads etc.
Note that it should be MUNI cache, not fuel one, because you need a lot of fuel for:
RGD-33
PPSH-41 upgrades
AT nades
Mines

Also I never go for T1 because of zero anti tank capabilities. Build ZiS-3 to fight off early vehicles, you should be ok with early mines and early AT nades researched.

With this commander I choose T3 over T4. Once the building is up I build either T-34 if there are bunkers covering choke points or M5 if Germans go G43 fiesta. Since you've built two muni caches in early game, you should have enough munition to upgrade M5 to quad... and here is when the slaughter fest begins.

With two ppsh conscript squads and two LMG irregulars supported by maxims and quad M5 you are a true king of the hill. You can easily beat any infantry you meet (of course micro is required), M5 can heal, and suppress, and protects from skill planes. Throw molotovs and RGD-33 on suppressed Germans and you should win any infantry engagement.

If you see a lot of P4 and scout cars, skip quad M5. Go for double ZIS and double T-34, and have your engeneers lay mines all over the place.

Save 600 mp, and build ML-20.

Of course, it is all situational but I've noticed that if a well skilled team of three goes for Industry, Irregualrs, and Partisans commanders, the chances to win greatly increase.

10 Apr 2014, 16:15 PM

and also I want to mention that this commander is pretty well balanced and it represents true combined arms style. All units you build help and cover each other.
Cons slow down axis tanks with at nades, while ZiS and t34 finish them up. Should a T34 get damaged, cons can repair it. Should cons and irregulars get wounded - M5 will heal and provide with AA, and so on...

Just build a balanced army of different units with different tasks, and you should be ok.
10 Apr 2014, 16:37 PM

Partisans are a fun unit to use early to mid game, and actually quite effective during that time period, but once you reach the late game even with vet those poor Partisans will get roll'd by lmg grens, accurate p4 shots due to 4 man squads clumping up, rifle nades, mortar shells, and S-mines.
10 Apr 2014, 17:16 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2014, 16:37 PMVonIvan
Partisans are a fun unit to use early to mid game, and actually quite effective during that time period, but once you reach the late game even with vet those poor Partisans will get roll'd by lmg grens, accurate p4 shots due to 4 man squads clumping up, rifle nades, mortar shells, and S-mines.

Well, all in all it means if you´re not overwhelming in the early game you are fucked :(
10 Apr 2014, 18:32 PM

Well, all in all it means if you´re not overwhelming in the early game you are fucked :(

Exactly.
If you let Germans hold on to their half of the map with a single fuel point on it, you lose big time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3
Korea, Republic Of 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment