Login

russian armor

Interview Greg Wilson & Quinn Duffy on Expansion!!

3 Apr 2014, 14:40 PM

i did not notice them mention "commanders" once. i did here them mention tech tree. does this mean the new factions will go back to the tech tree over the commanders ?

anyone ?
3 Apr 2014, 14:43 PM

They're probably going to be mobile but lack heavy tanks. So no M26 Pershing this time.

On the other hand, OKW will probably be 'clunkier' with better armour and more heavy tanks.
With the amount of commanders we have in COH2 i'm sure we will see the pershing eventually, but maybe not in the first set. There is a large number of vehicles that went unused in vcoh like the Jumbo or the M36.

Personally I hope that we get to see the stuart and priest be on the american side rather then be thrown into a brit faction who have plenty of their own stuff.
3 Apr 2014, 14:45 PM

i did not notice them mention "commanders" once. i did here them mention tech tree. does this mean the new factions will go back to the tech tree over the commanders ?

anyone ?
I think tech tree refers to the normal unit buildings (T1,T2,etc).
You are thinking of a doctrinal tree.
3 Apr 2014, 14:50 PM

come on man. don't rain on my parade. i had hope and excitement. u just bummed me out.....

i don't mind commanders as they are now, but having 2 new factions bring the potential of dealing with doctrine tree different. (for those new factions)
3 Apr 2014, 17:11 PM

^^
You mean 80% of the German army, not half...

The German army very immobile compared to the allies and less mobile than even the Soviets.

They concentrated their equipment in the top 20% (mobile units) and even these were still not as well equipped as the allies. Both panzer and pzG formations tend to be far below TOE and have around half as many tanks even at full strength and less artillery support than the allies/soviets typically. Most panzer divisions only had 100 tanks or so after refitting and were kept in the field until almost everything was gone.

They only significant material advantage they had vs. the Allies was their good guns (pak, panzer,etc.)

The Soviet mobile formations (tank army, tank corps, mechanized corps) tend to revolve on a much different doctrine. They were very strong in tanks, total infantry, and artillery compared to the Germans but weaker in motorized infantry, communications, and supporting assets.

----------------

I've always felt that the design for the British should be Germans. With the new expansion pack, I wouldn't be surprised if the Oberkommando West was a bit like the British vcoh.

Wtf? How can you say soviets are more mobile but write in the same sentence that they had less mechnized infantry. Germans did build 20.000 Sdkfz 251 and 250. Soviets only had around 3.000 lend lease halftrucks.

The German army wasnt static at all they were the most offensive of all the armys in ww2. They rareley build defensive positions (tho they had knowlage how to build them because of ww2) but they mostly relied on counter attaks.

Their overall german unit were much more flexible and able to support diffrent sections of the fornt, while soviets relied on massive attaks.

Also we should forget that some of the most know battles of ww2, like the Battle of the Bulge and kursk were german Counter-offensives, not Western allies or Soviets assulting massive defensive lines/positions.

In some regards its silly that soviets arent able to build bunkers but Ostheer is.

Back on topic, would be nice if they would have talked a little bit more about the teching or the mechanics of the new factions.
3 Apr 2014, 17:45 PM

Overall, Soviet logistics and army were more mobile than the Germans. They economized by concentrated their trucks in transportation fleets instead of being assigned to motorize infantry. 2 out of 3 armored formations of the tank army were tank corps rather than mechanized corps. The tank corps were weak in motorized infantry while the mech corps was similar to a panzer division.

The Germans, equipment-wise, were actually the 'poor man's' army. They accomplished whatever they did in WW2 with inferior material resources outside of electronics and communications.

As far as offensive activities go, the Germans were less offensively inclined than the Soviets by a long shot after 1941. The number of Soviet offensives during the war dwarf the German. The chief difference is the fact that the Germans tend to attack infrequently but more skillfully at the same time.

The bulk of the German army was horse drawn divisions with limited offensive capability. They spent most of the war defending their positions and conducted limited short range counter attacks.
3 Apr 2014, 17:56 PM
Senior Editor Badge

found in relicnews.com site:

Described as the first Standalone Multiplayer release for Company of Heroes 2, presumably implying there’s more to come later.

The game contains both the US Forces and the German Oberkommando West as playable factions who have new units, models, animations and abilities

The German Oberkommando West have a unique base building system and a unique way they take over territory

Purchasers can also access the 23 existing Company of Heroes 2 maps in auto-match, and play against all other existing factions.

The game is launching in June this year for $19.99. Each of the two individual armies will be available as a standalone purchases for $12.99 each via digital download

Comes with a total of eight seasonal multiplayer maps set on the Western Front

The Western Front Armies include a new progression system that “introduces other unique content into the game and enables players to dive deeper into the tactical and strategic aspects of the game than ever before”

Emphasised Games as a Service in their talk – not entirely clear what this entails as of yet, but presumably means they are exploring new ways for people to access their content and this is their first try.

During their talk Relic emphasised the better use of data harvesting from player gameplay

There are new mechanics around aircraft – “in the original game they’d come on and blow something up and go away.” What they wanted to do was make them more counterable, make anti-aircraft units more useful. Add an element of loitering and map control to the experience.
3 Apr 2014, 17:56 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

^^
You mean 80% of the German army, not half...

The German army very immobile compared to the allies and less mobile than even the Soviets.

They concentrated their equipment in the top 20% (mobile units) and even these were still not as well equipped as the allies. Both panzer and pzG formations tend to be far below TOE and have around half as many tanks even at full strength and less artillery support than the allies/soviets typically. Most panzer divisions only had 100 tanks or so after refitting and were kept in the field until almost everything was gone.

They only significant material advantage they had vs. the Allies was their good guns (pak, panzer,etc.)

That's quite a big "only"......:) Not for nothing was the main Allied battle tank, the Sherman, dubbed "the Ronson"......and the elephant in the room is the Allied Airforces. i.e. the skillz planez. The Luftwaffe in NW Europe in 1944 was pretty well butchered,leaving the OKW fairly exposed. But if you introduce Wehrmacht horse drawn armies and properly introduce Skillz planez to a greater extent, all you do is kill the game

The Soviet mobile formations (tank army, tank corps, mechanized corps) tend to revolve on a much different doctrine. They were very strong in tanks, total infantry, and artillery compared to the Germans but weaker in motorized infantry, communications, and supporting assets.
]

And you should not ignore the Red Airforce.

But this is a game,so game requirements rule

----------------

I've always felt that the design for the British should be Germans. With the new expansion pack, I wouldn't be surprised if the Oberkommando West was a bit like the British vcoh.

I feel ill reading this. If the Wehrmacht adopt vCoH Britz mechanics,then the Good Lord help us all. It is not a faction I would pay for.

@ Raindrop

Sorry, I could not resist this

like battle at the bugle.....

Were the Wehrmacht seriously fighting at the Battle of the Little Big Horn? :jk:

Back on topic: if this game is supposed to have some kind of immersive experience,I would prefer that the West stays West,and the East stays East. It stops the ultimate craziness of say, a Pacific faction being added on another expansion, with the Japs fighting in the Ardennes...and the Wehrmacht immersed in jungle combat.....just no.....it's a bridge too far

3 Apr 2014, 18:01 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

"a unique way they take over territory" *scared*

$3.99 per sector?
3 Apr 2014, 18:08 PM

The 'basic' British style in vcoh was to grab capzones, fortify with emplacements, and then build an attack force that's overall smaller than the Germans.

But that's pretty much most of what the Germans did in West front 44': dig in with MGs/mortars/AT guns/artillery and defend, and then counterattack with comparably small mobile forces against the Allies.

The Soviets in COH2 are similar to the Americans in vCOH. Ostheer in vcoh and coh are similar. So there's Panzer elite and British factions left. (pure offensive and pure defensive)
3 Apr 2014, 18:10 PM

The 'basic' British style in vcoh was to grab capzones, fortify with emplacements, and then build an attack force that's overall smaller than the Germans.

But that's pretty much most of what the Germans did in West front 44': dig in with MGs/mortars/AT guns/artillery and defend, and then counterattack with comparably small mobile forces against the Allies.
I just hope it's not a extreme as the brits. I think I would be OK if it was a sort of forward base type of thing, but not as an all in bring your base to the front type of thing the british did.
3 Apr 2014, 18:32 PM

^
I personally would like to see a defensive but signficantly 'less British' OKW.

One feature that I've seen in other WW2 RTS but not in COH is infantry 'digging in'. It would be cool to see a grenadier squad, MG or mortar dig into the dirt into a trench with a single click and the unit would get a big defensive bonus. IF they want to get out of the trench, they only need to move.

Not the ostruppen doctrine trenches mind you, but more like the hull down for the tanks except with infantry.
3 Apr 2014, 18:37 PM

^
I personally would like to see a defensive but signficantly 'less British' OKW.

One feature that I've seen in other WW2 RTS but not in COH is infantry 'digging in'. It would be cool to see a grenadier squad, MG or mortar dig into the dirt into a trench with a single click and the unit would get a big defensive bonus. IF they want to get out of the trench, they only need to move.

Not the ostruppen doctrine trenches mind you, but more like the hull down for the tanks except with infantry.

#balance
3 Apr 2014, 18:44 PM
Donator 11

$3.99 per sector?

British 2.0
3 Apr 2014, 19:10 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

"fan feedback is invaluable"

LOL

Commander overlap and commander system needs fixing...8 pages of people agreeing (fan feedback)...the effort put in would be easily worth it....everybody wants it....instead of making new factions.....please....
3 Apr 2014, 19:17 PM

$3.99 per sector?

hahahahahaha saved my day

Nice one Ami =)
3 Apr 2014, 19:27 PM

Commander overlap and commander system needs fixing...8 pages of people agreeing (fan feedback)...the effort put in would be easily worth it....everybody wants it....instead of making new factions.....please....
The factions are already made by now. They are probably in final testing phases.
3 Apr 2014, 19:27 PM

+6886768567

The commander System is a complete design fail.
3 Apr 2014, 19:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2014, 19:27 PMAffe

+6886768567

The commander System is a complete design fail.

The commander system is a complete profit win!
3 Apr 2014, 19:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Apr 2014, 19:31 PMWilliG

The commander system is a complete profit win!

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 57
Poland 11

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment