Login

russian armor

I Just Fixed Cold / Mud Tech

31 Mar 2014, 12:40 PM

Before I get to that I have to give a bit of background. I love COH, to me it’s the best RTS ever made. One feature sets it above any other game I have ever played, its not its graphics, its not is balance, or (amazing) sound effects, it’s the incredible attention to visual detail.

I mean the specifity of the effects ( incredible artillery explosions, unique mortar strike marks on the ground, different weapons having different effects on terrain and infantry) and the physics of the world, were everything has a reaction.

Seeing a howitzer hit a fence would send pieces of it around the map, some bouncing of houses, it would annihilate infantry in a brutal and realistic fashion. Watching MGS light up streets with tracer, and strike marks on the road and buildings and infantry scramble for cover, or the pure devastation os the 200mm rocket strike as it absolutely decimates anything it its area of effect – nothing in any other game comes close.

High explosive was high explosive not some Hollywood fireball.

In an average game by the time the battle is over , places like semois looked nothing like the serene town that it was at the beginning, burning tank carcases litter the streets, houses are burning and have collapse, the earth is heavily cratered with various munitions types and scorch marks and human bodies and body parts litter the area.

Now this level of detail is not available in COH2 even though it’s the sequel and in theory has superior graphics… this is something that needs to make a huge comeback as the game looks and feels like a cartoon and not a top down view of real warfare.

So where does cold tech come in?

Ok so you bring back this level of detail – and in maps with rain / blizzards any craters above a certain size should turn into mud/ deep snow after blizzard/ rain this would completely change the maps after prolonged battle.

Can you image the centre Moscow outskirts after heavy arty barrages, it would be a surface like the moon and filled with deep snow after a blizzard would become a death trap for both armies. Finally the environment would actually have an effect on the battles fought just like it did in real life.

Or adding in rain to a map like langres(kaya) the middle of that map would look like the Somme after a rain storm with infantry and tanks bogging down in thick mud after a serious battle with arty airstrikes and rockets pounded the ground into submission.

Thoughts?

31 Mar 2014, 13:04 PM

Totally agree on the first part. I also agree that you Idea would be cool from a style standpoint, but absolutly terrible from a gameplay standpoint.
31 Mar 2014, 13:16 PM

Totally agree on the first part. I also agree that you Idea would be cool from a style standpoint, but absolutly terrible from a gameplay standpoint.

You dont think it would be cool to have heavy snow/ mud from large craters if there is a blizzard or rain? This would only happen after serious cratering so it wouldnt be a all the time thing.. but yeh fair enough
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★