Login

russian armor

Customization!

18 Mar 2014, 02:11 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Aside from a few skins on tanks, face-plates and the choice of commanders I feel that Relic really missed a trick with customization features in CoH2 which could still be added in future patches. To explain let's cast our eyes back to the days of COHO. This was a time where players could actually create their very own general avatar to use in-game and be recognized for who they were and customize their doctrines to suit there own unique play style while all still being fairly balanced if your ignore the hero units and bulletins. This was in my opinion one of the great successes of COHO and I still wish it was around today.

Another very simple way of improving customization straight away would be allowing players to edit their commander portrait section by choosing the medals they have earned that they want to display and changing the soviet star for an Iron Cross if one desired to do so. Currently there is no way for players to show off their achievements visually in-game to each other and I believe that by adding this change players could now do so.

The idea of 'Vehicle badging' is an another way of increasing customization. This would enable players to design their own logo's or avatars and put them onto their tanks and such. As it stands at the moment vehicles currently have pictures of bears and such if you zoom onto them. Wouldn't it be cool if you could have your own one?

Feel free to add your own ideas for customization =).
18 Mar 2014, 02:36 AM

because immersion, imo

Instead have you choose if you want the berlin bear or a balkenkreuz or something else Wehrmacht isch for your tanks is better, imo

i like the realistic and gritty feel of theese games and dont want it ruined by nonsense such as clan logos.

but with the medals thing i agree it would be an awesome edition. Other than vehicle skins soldier skins would be awesome since i think the german uniforms look hideous

18 Mar 2014, 05:06 AM

What? display medals?? You must be out of your mind Hans

That sort of thing is highly offensive to people.

I think Relic is doing fantastic job so far trying to protect people and next step is to remove player names from loading screen and in game. And you want Avatar so people can recognize it?

You know, someone can face player they were beaten by before. We don't want people to get traumatized.

18 Mar 2014, 05:25 AM

Relic is barely making new face plates for people, they pretty much forgot about customization at this point.
18 Mar 2014, 06:48 AM

if your ignore the hero units and bulletins.

You can say that again. Agreed COHO was a verry nice game and an excellent idea but it was ruined by this and I quit playing because of this. Fortunately, Relic realised that COHO was becoming a kind of World of Warcraft (LOL) and didn't repeat that mistake in COH2 (bulletins in COH2 barely mean something. I mean, an engie squad that could camo, have bazooka and sachel charge?

Related to customization, I think all your ideas are nice except those writen things on vehicles or such. I would dislike to see on a serious tank something like "Crazy Monkyes Clan".

What would I like to see, is maybe different type of camo for infantry also. For instance 3 to chose from on winter and 3 on summer. But I would want them won in battle, not available for buying.
18 Mar 2014, 08:44 AM
Donator 11

I like the idea of being able to choose which medals you want to display :)
18 Mar 2014, 09:37 AM

i think the bulletins should be replaced with infantry skins, because bulletins are pretty much useless, and infantry skins would add a lot more indepth customization to the game, allowing to pick different skins for your infantry to frame your army after a SS-division, equipping your men with peadot! or perhaps a more mainstream grey uniform!

[angry rant]

current gren skin is fucking laughable. what the fuck camo is it anyway? was it issued in large numbers in 1943s~? probably fucking not and what the heck is with the fur shawl? it's like relic's art team modeled the entire COH2 gren infantry off 1 single picture, some cold blokes wearing fur shawls and said to themselves 'OH YEAH, EVERYONE MUST'VE HAD FUR SHAWLS!'

can i just have a nice grey uniform? it is so hard to ask? conscripts are historically accurate, so don't give me that bullshit about them 'wanting to stand out' conscript's don't apparently need to fucking stand out, do they, relic? they're wearing actual khaki military BDUs, with the correct khaki coloring? every other unit in the german army has (more or less) correct uniforms.

so what the fuck is with the silly leafy-weafy camo relic?
what the fuck is with the fur shawl?
change it, please!

either that, or enable modding

but what's that? aww! sega's too worried no one will buy their rediciously priced DLC if there's modding!

boohooo!

[/angry rant]

PS: if they do add infantry skins, you can bet that the gren skin will cost more, because c'mon, these hips aren't going to hold themselves while i'm roughly gangrape-buttfucked by you, relic and sega! ABSOLUTELY EMBARRASSING, ABSOLUTELY EMBARRASSING... y'know... WHEN MY CAT THROWS UP DISGUSTING SHIT ALL OVER THE CARPET I RUB HIS NOSE IN IT SO HE LEARNS HIS LESSON.

RELIC, YOU'RE NOT A BUNCH OF CATS, (NOT CUTE ENOUGH) BUT I'LL DO IT, I'LL RUB YOUR NOSE ALL OVER THAT GREN CAMO. I'LL BLOODY WELL DO IT!

yes i'm mad
they had one job
ONE JOB
18 Mar 2014, 11:53 AM

^Nice post lol
18 Mar 2014, 11:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Mar 2014, 09:37 AMbuckers

*snip*

Entertaining post for sure

I would support more cosmetic customization dlc over new commanders dlc but would not buy either
18 Mar 2014, 12:27 PM

Reminds me of the old Dawn of War series, where you could customize your army in a lore friendly way. I really liked that feature!
18 Mar 2014, 13:40 PM
Patrion 15

some things i would like to see and that i would probably spend money on:

how about some speech packages?
more lines, different voices, or themes... the joke telling penal squads, the pioneers with the bavarian accent, the stug driver that uses the word motherfucker in each sentence.

how about different and new victory screens?
i always hated escecially the german one that lets you think that rohan and not the 3rd reich has just won or lost a battle.

i guess i would not mind to replace my base buildings with something else.

i feel a little ashamed, but i would welcome if you could choose to play a "blood and gore" version of the game. that would be more body parts flying around, more blood on the ground more screeming and crying wounded soldiers.

if relic really wanted 10 bucks from me, i would suggest making the screen layout to be customizeable and to sell me the COH1 version

18 Mar 2014, 14:47 PM

I would only like to see Badges that are period appropriate. Think Silent Hunter III where you could badge your Sub but only with one of dozens and dozens of actually used badges.

Skins for infantry I would buy in a heartbeat. I do like the Avatar idea though. I skipped COHO (in fact I didnt even know it existed until after it was gone) so I dont know what they had there. But DOW was a great example of how to do this. Want Thousand Sons Skin? Gottcha Covered!

And it was just part of DOW. They want to milk DLC cash give us something cosmetic that is cool. Not just lazy.
18 Mar 2014, 14:54 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

What? display medals?? You must be out of your mind Hans

That sort of thing is highly offensive to people.

I think Relic is doing fantastic job so far trying to protect people and next step is to remove player names from loading screen and in game. And you want Avatar so people can recognize it?

You know, someone can face player they were beaten by before. We don't want people to get traumatized.

Haha, good one ^.^
18 Mar 2014, 16:02 PM

I'd like to point out that of all Steam games out there, the only ones that don't follow an exponentially decaying curve in player activity are those that make heavy use of the Steam marketplace and workshop.

There is plenty of room for skins on tanks, infantry, flags, maps, etc. If these items would randomly drop at the end of games it would also provide incentive for people to keep playing, trading and creating.
18 Mar 2014, 19:16 PM

I'd like to point out that of all Steam games out there, the only ones that don't follow an exponentially decaying curve in player activity are those that make heavy use of the Steam marketplace and workshop.

There is plenty of room for skins on tanks, infantry, flags, maps, etc. If these items would randomly drop at the end of games it would also provide incentive for people to keep playing, trading and creating.

why the fuck can't you trade camos, bullitins, and commanders? But then they shove these "40%" off coupons in our inventories what the fuck?
18 Mar 2014, 19:46 PM

apart from items for valves games, steam never allows you to trade things youve activated for your account. if you buy a camo/commander as a gift, you can trade them. you just cant use them for a few weeks then try to give it away.
18 Mar 2014, 20:46 PM

If I remember correctly Relic said they didn't want infantry to have customizable camo because they wanted players to be able to identify each unit easily from their visuals alone.
18 Mar 2014, 20:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Mar 2014, 20:46 PMwuff
If I remember correctly Relic said they didn't want infantry to have customizable camo because the wanted players to be able to identify each unit easily from their visuals alone.

If only there were some sort of sigil above a unit that indicated its type. Or maybe if you clicked on it it could have a name somewhere. Or hell, maybe if the infantry had different weapons and different squad sizes you could tell them apart.

Yeah.
18 Mar 2014, 20:57 PM

yes, more glitter for a shitty game, thats all it needs, more of that stuff would definatly get me playing again who cares about importaint gamebreaking things
18 Mar 2014, 20:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Mar 2014, 20:46 PMwuff
If I remember correctly Relic said they didn't want infantry to have customizable camo because the wanted players to be able to identify each unit easily from their visuals alone.

I say open the floods to player created skins and let Relic approve those that meet their visibility standards.

Besides, there are subtle lighting tricks that can be used to ensure ensure units are easily identifiable.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 66
Poland 8
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak