Login

russian armor

Soviets Advanced Warfare Tactics Commander

24 Feb 2014, 23:01 PM

I'd like to start off with, i'm not advocating right off the bat that this commander is OP, I have not played enough games in this patch or watched enough to definitively say that. Besides, i'm not a top player, so I tend to reserve judgement on balance as there is always room for me to improve. What i'm arguing below is that the advanced warfare commander is a very strong commander who is an obvious choice on almost all maps, and that is bad for gameplay.

You can select advanced warfare tactics from the very beginning of a match as soviets and be confident that it has all the tools you'll require to be competitive in a 1v1 situation. I would go as far as to say, it is the clear obvious choice, a no brainer and this is what makes it a poorly designed commander. For all the variety of commanders in the game, when one or two choices stand out as more obvious selections, it means less variety in real terms for the players. Simply put,a majority of players will pick what they perceive as most advantageous to them, so you end up playing with and facing the same stuff over and over. Which gets boring and will eventually drive players away if there is a perception that the options to play with and against are limited.

See the Elite troops commander as an example of this, in the last patch.

I'd argue the advanced warfare tactics commander is a case of an obvious and safe choice , no one part of the doctrine singularly makes it very strong, it is rather the synergy between everything in the doctrine that makes it a powerful and perhaps even, "no brainer" option from the soviet commanders. Radio intercept helps you to make the right decisions when selecting a tech route and getting counters to your opponent units composition. PPsh and con repair allows you to apply pressure throughout the game, the call in single T43-85 compliments your tech choice completely,whether you go T3 or T4 and the single strafe run whilst not overly powerful, is a solid AOE call in.

So in summary, i'd argue this commander is the standout choice as Soviets, thus reducing the effective available options in the game for players, which will eventually create dissatisfaction among the player-base and so it imo requires a readjustment in the next patch or the other commanders require an adjustment to bring them in line, whenever that is.

24 Feb 2014, 23:29 PM

It allows for single T34/85 call in. A call-in in reasonable price for a tank that a) doesn't cost 200+ fuel b) can actually fight german armor.
If that was the only ability it had it would still be most picked commander.
Can you guess why?
24 Feb 2014, 23:41 PM

PPSH price increase might go a long way towards balancing this commander.
24 Feb 2014, 23:44 PM
Donator 22

why would you say it's OP, don't you mostly play as soviets?

The single T34/85 is nice if you don't get much fuel early and It doesn't take that long to get the second one either.
Radio intercept is crazy good, It pretty much changes my original game plan so if anything's OP it's that.

I personally prefer counterattack tactics because I'd rather build one or two shocks than just ppsh cons. It also allows you to get the giant one shot howitzer that combines well with recon overflight.
24 Feb 2014, 23:47 PM

It's a well rounded commander, there's nothing wrong with it.

You are arguing that because it's well rounded, it reduces choice? The fact is that a lot of commanders frankly suck. There are too many of them and too many rehashed abilities.

The doctrine is a jack of all trades. You get no elite infantry, conscripts still are extremely fragile despite the 1 extra PPSH. The single pass IL2 strike is okay at best, in terms of other artillery callins it's on the weaker side for sure. The best part is the single T34/85.

It's a decent, reasonably powered commander with obvious downsides, but of course someone has to make a thread about it.
24 Feb 2014, 23:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2014, 23:01 PMBryan
I'd like to start off with, i'm not advocating right off the bat that this commander is OP, I have not played enough games in this patch or watched enough to definitively say that. Besides, i'm not a top player, so I tend to reserve judgement on balance as there is always room for me to improve. What i'm arguing below is that the advanced warfare commander is a very strong commander who is an obvious choice on almost all maps, and that is bad for gameplay.

You can select advanced warfare tactics from the very beginning of a match as soviets and be confident that it has all the tools you'll require to be competitive in a 1v1 situation. I would go as far as to say, it is the clear obvious choice, a no brainer and this is what makes it a poorly designed commander. For all the variety of commanders in the game, when one or two choices stand out as more obvious selections, it means less variety in real terms for the players. Simply put,a majority of players will pick what they perceive as most advantageous to them, so you end up playing with and facing the same stuff over and over. Which gets boring and will eventually drive players away if there is a perception that the options to play with and against are limited.

See the Elite troops commander as an example of this, in the last patch.

I'd argue the advanced warfare tactics commander is a case of an obvious and safe choice , no one part of the doctrine singularly makes it very strong, it is rather the synergy between everything in the doctrine that makes it a powerful and perhaps even, "no brainer" option from the soviet commanders. Radio intercept helps you to make the right decisions when selecting a tech route and getting counters to your opponent units composition. PPsh and con repair allows you to apply pressure throughout the game, the call in single T43-85 compliments your tech choice completely,whether you go T3 or T4 and the single strafe run whilst not overly powerful, is a solid AOE call in.

So in summary, i'd argue this commander is the standout choice as Soviets, thus reducing the effective available options in the game for players, which will eventually create dissatisfaction among the player-base and so it imo requires a readjustment in the next patch or the other commanders require an adjustment to bring them in line, whenever that is.

You're having a hard time with this commander, dont you?
25 Feb 2014, 05:09 AM

This commander was obviously made for 1v1. It's very powerful there but not as much on 2v2+.

However, the OP is correct in saying that this commander is a very "safe" pick when playing as Soviets compared to even some of the other recent DLC that are gimmicky at best (urban defence and partisans come to mind).

This commander also makes Armored Assault Tactics from the CE 100% redundant. That is just stupid.
25 Feb 2014, 06:17 AM

Germans have similar commander with G43 and Tiger.
25 Feb 2014, 06:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Feb 2014, 06:17 AMAradan
Germans have similar commander with G43 and Tiger.

There is no resemblance between these commanders what so ever. The intel is much better in Advanced Warfare case not to mention other essential diferences.

Taking a general look at commanders tab and in "Commander Tool" application develope by comunity I realised that soviet commanders are better balanced and have more useful abilities. Of course, is difficult to balance a game, maintaining in the same time the diversity principle alive. But Relic account for community voice, where the soviet army fans are more noumerous, so even if the game will favour a little bit the soviets, this won't be such a problem because there won't be manny people complaining about it. Soviet Industry took forever to re-balance, and Elite Troops wasn't so OP because the game was usually over when Tiger Ace hit the field and in 90% of situation it couldn't change the result of battle.

Issuing doctrines that are OP, and then nerfing them down is not only ruining the game balance but nevertheless it is not a fair commercial strategy, and the logic is simple:

You are paying money for a product that (for the holly reason of "balance") in one month will change and it won't be anymore the product you paid for. Obvoius, isn't it?
The sollution could be eather stopping the new commanders flood, eather testing them enough before they are released, in order not to ruin the game balance and be changed afterwards, even if this means issuing few commanders or issuing them more rarely.
25 Feb 2014, 08:21 AM

the game will favour a little bit the soviets, this won't be such a problem because there won't be manny people complaining about it.

:lolol:

Every day is here new whine topic about OP Soviets.
25 Feb 2014, 08:33 AM

I agree that Advanced Warfare Tactics is extremely safe and flexible to use.

Give it some more time but the only way to consistantly beat this doctrine is choose an early-mid game aggressive tactic and stick to it.

Balance changes that I would suggest is giving this doctrine the 2 T34/85 call in. Calling in a single t34/85 increases the flexibility of this doctrine excessively in mid-late game.

I would like to see Armoured Assault doctrine to receive the single t34/85 call in instead.
25 Feb 2014, 08:42 AM
Patrion 14

I agree that Advanced Warfare Tactics is extremely safe and flexible to use.

Give it some more time but the only way to consistantly beat this doctrine is choose an early-mid game aggressive tactic and stick to it.

Balance changes that I would suggest is giving this doctrine the 2 T34/85 call in. Calling in a single t34/85 increases the flexibility of this doctrine excessively in mid-late game.

I would like to see Armoured Assault doctrine to receive the single t34/85 call in instead.

I like it that this doctrine has a single T-34/85 call in, it adds to the versatility of it. Besides the multipurpose use of cons, you now get one decent tank that has a reasonable chance vs Ostheer Panzer. Giving this doctrine 2 T-34/85's would be a bit overkill I think, perhaps make them a tad more expensive or something like that?
25 Feb 2014, 08:49 AM

This commander is simply ballanced. Unlike another Soviet commanders. Soviet core dont have chance against OST core and need doctrinal ability.

Radio intercept is maybie OP in 1v1, but in team games no problem.
25 Feb 2014, 08:52 AM

I like it that this doctrine has a single T-34/85 call in, it adds to the versatility of it. Besides the multipurpose use of cons, you now get one decent tank that has a reasonable chance vs Ostheer Panzer. Giving this doctrine 2 T-34/85's would be a bit overkill I think, perhaps make them a tad more expensive or something like that?

Well radio intercepts, ppsh, conscript repair are all no brainer abilities that you will choose in almost every given situation. Having Soviet player have a katyusha or su85 on the field then rounding off their army composition with a single t34/85 is honestly scary. T3 and T4 Soviets is so effective when used in combination with one another in 1v1.

There is currently no risk in choosing this commander. I believe if you want to get out t34/85's to complement your T4 there should be some risk involved with having to float resources. This doctrine can give you an early game advantage that just keeps on smashing on the pressure with t34/85 and light strafe.
25 Feb 2014, 08:59 AM

Well radio intercepts, ppsh, conscript repair are all no brainer abilities that you will choose in almost every given situation. Having Soviet player have a katyusha or su85 on the field then rounding off their army composition with a single t34/85 is honestly scary. T3 and T4 Soviets is so effective when used in combination with one another in 1v1.

There is currently no risk in choosing this commander. I believe if you want to get out t34/85's to complement your T4 there should be some risk involved with having to float resources. This doctrine can give you an early game advantage that just keeps on smashing on the pressure with t34/85 and light strafe.

So many time I used that light skillplanez, it does nothing, maybe just shooting pee on the German clothes.
25 Feb 2014, 10:09 AM

why would you say it's OP, don't you mostly play as soviets?

It's a decent, reasonably powered commander with obvious downsides, but of course someone has to make a thread about it.

You're having a hard time with this commander, dont you?

Play the ball not the man lads (or ladies) :)

My player tab is on my profile, I regularly post replays (wins and losses) and set out the limitations of my argument from the outset, i'm not the best player nor do I have access to the statistics you'd need to make a better informed/backed argument. Further it is probably too soon to say anything conclusively, i'm merely setting out an opinion that this particular commander may require an adjustment or all commanders (Soviet and Ostheer) need to be brought into line so we have more viable options available to us as player and variety in the game. The latter option, has been well discussed on the forums and has plenty on it, i'd like to see an overall look at commanders from Relic. That would be a large task and possibly lengthy for the developers to implement so i'd suggest in the meantime they have a look at the Advanced Warfare commander for the reasons already set out.

25 Feb 2014, 10:54 AM

This commander gives Soviets a fairly decent medium tank. That's why is so potent.
25 Feb 2014, 11:49 AM

I think I'm done with 1v1 for a while after seeing this commander, the rest doesn't bother me as much as the radio intercept does. All of them put together though makes the doctrine seem designed for trolling German players.
25 Feb 2014, 12:04 PM

I think I'm done with 1v1 for a while after seeing this commander, the rest doesn't bother me as much as the radio intercept does. All of them put together though makes the doctrine seem designed for trolling German players.

If you really believe radio intercept is the reason why you're loosing, then you're up for a big surprise. Its not and you probably would loose anyway.
25 Feb 2014, 12:08 PM

I would consider this commander OP - I mean take a look at which commander the top players are using ... Cant all be a coincidence most are using this commander.

I mean seriously - all the skills are strong and very useful.

Starting with the first one ... You can see what your opponent is building ahead of time? ... let along conscripts that can take on all other infantry ...

a great tank call in and then a nice infantry scatter gun.

whats not to like?

what german doctrine is going to stand toe to toe with this? - the elite one is close but Id find the soviet one superior all perhaps except for the tiger ace ...

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★