Login

russian armor

Rank//Removal of Stars

19 Feb 2014, 19:55 PM

Why on earth would you remove the stars from the faceplates

Now you have no idea or incentive knowing who you are playing against, ive said this before but i used to enjoy knowing i was matched against good opponents, now you have no clue, doesnt make it exciting or interesting at the start.

Just cant see the point, we may as well all be the same rank, all have the same insignia and all be the same level.

Gobsmacked..
19 Feb 2014, 20:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

It's ugly as well
19 Feb 2014, 20:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 19:55 PMr7Bashy
Why on earth would you remove the stars from the faceplates

Now you have no idea or incentive knowing who you are playing against, ive said this before but i used to enjoy knowing i was matched against good opponents, now you have no clue, doesnt make it exciting or interesting at the start.

Just cant see the point, we may as well all be the same rank, all have the same insignia and all be the same level.

Gobsmacked..

Same reason they removed displaying the numeric rank before they went to just showing stars.....

You can't choose your team mates - and with how broken the automatch is people see a low number rank/low number of stars - they just drop while the games loading.

Now people will have to hang around 2 mins to determine if their random partner is a noob before leaving.

Just another band aid to the stubbornness of not having the custom lobbies of old.
19 Feb 2014, 20:17 PM
Benefactor 115

yeah, five stars meant I was playing a good player...
19 Feb 2014, 20:25 PM

yeah, five stars meant I was playing a good player...

You know that - and I know that - but how many times have you seen people who aren't as informed go "Well you're a 5 star and I'm only 2 - this sucks - GG" and leave?

It happens quite often.
19 Feb 2014, 20:34 PM
Benefactor 115

Not that often in my experience.
19 Feb 2014, 20:45 PM

Seems Relic find it easier to keep the players in the dark with just about everything pertaining to the game.

With the star removal the only thing they can remove next is the names of players we play with or against in automatch. For fear we might start to remember the super good players or super bad players.

Stars may not have been a good indicator of how good a player was...but it gave you an idea of how familiar with the game a player should be.

I know when I saw a player with no star....I usually said ohhh shit! This could be tough....I never quit cause of it. But have seen players drop while screen was loading (in such circumstances).

Player base must be getting real low ...for them to be taking such another petty actions like removing stars on load screen.
19 Feb 2014, 20:45 PM

Not that often in my experience.

Depends on what sort of players you're matched with really.

I'm not "leet" - hence I get the 1000-10000 ranked players - so I see it a lot actually.

Now it would be quite an idea if say - they had a RANK that you could INCREASE by defeating higher RANKED players....a rank which you could also lose by being defeated by other players...

Gee - now where have I seen that before? Seemed to work there too.

Obviously this is a problem for the general player populace as we've seen Relic drop the rank number being displayed and now the stars being displayed also.

I guess you must just be lucky.
19 Feb 2014, 20:49 PM
Patrion 14

Lobbies, where for art thou?
19 Feb 2014, 21:01 PM

It worked like that in DoW2 as well, you didn't knew opponents ELO/army level(like the latter matters at all) unless you finished the game.
19 Feb 2014, 21:02 PM

I always check the steam COH profiles of my opponents and allies while ingame when my units are building to see what I'm up against. It doesn't gives you an early impression as to the experience (not skill) of the players like the banners during loading, but you get an impression of what to expect pretty early.

1. Get in game
2. Toggle Player List
3. Check Profile
4. Profit!
19 Feb 2014, 21:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 21:01 PMKatitof
It worked like that in DoW2 as well, you didn't knew opponents ELO/army level(like the latter matters at all) unless you finished the game.

And we all see how many people still play DOW2 and how many people still play vCOH.....
19 Feb 2014, 21:06 PM

It worked so well in coh1

Just dont understand why you would change it

Who cares if someone drops at the start, if they are going to quit just by looking at a rank symbol then they were never going to win anyway in the first instance lets be fair :/
19 Feb 2014, 21:07 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Agreed. Any competitive gamer wants to know the caliber of the player he or she is up against. Show stars, levels, ladder position, elo, something! The more info the merrier IMO. I've never understood this impetus of game designers to hide information from players in order to counteract some kind of anxiety. Could such a ridiculous gesture ever make a difference to players that are already susceptible to this? It just seems ridiculous to me. I was similarly bemused and aggravated when Blizzard wouldn't show me a history of my SC2 losses, or my win/loss ratio, unless I made it to a certain League. Moves like this are just a dumbing down of gaming.

When you load in against a high-ranked player, you feel challenged. Some rise, some fall... this is what gives us the thrill to compete in the first place.
19 Feb 2014, 21:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 21:06 PMr7Bashy
It worked so well in coh1

Just dont understand why you would change it

Who cares if someone drops at the start, if they are going to quit just by looking at a rank symbol then they were never going to win anyway in the first instance lets be fair :/

Quite frankly this is why I won't play unless I have a friend on, then that way I don't care who I'm matched AGAINST.

This whole system falls down pretty hard when the randomness of unknown team mates skill - or lack there of it - comes into play.
19 Feb 2014, 21:31 PM

Annoys me as well. I would like to see what kind of opponent im up against. Prefferably a real skill ranking, as that would let me know if I was up against someone real good, or if its a player against who I could try a new tactic im not failiar with, without being totally run over.

Im a "two stars" player myself, and before the patch I really enjoyed beating "five stars players", even though the ranks themselves were worthless.
19 Feb 2014, 21:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

ignorance can indeed be bliss i suppose.

i don't know if this is the case but doesn't it have to do with elo rank or am i completely wrong?

edit: sweet future plans good not a permanent thing.
19 Feb 2014, 21:37 PM

The stars were pointless all they told you was how many games someone played.

PQ did say that the patch was within the contest of larger changes they plan on implementing in the future - perhaps they will implement a tiered ranking system to match elo - like in vCoH or like they have in SC2.
19 Feb 2014, 22:07 PM

With previous removal of rank and now the stars. Stars only gave you an idea of how many games a player played. However..they probably don't entirely suck by the time they are at 5.

Unless Relic will state otherwise. Removing the stars is to prevent players from quitting at the load screen when a player saw ...stars on w/e team and decided I am out of here.

After some thought...why isn't it bad or why is it? There is now nothing firing a player up for the game they am about to play...it now has totally removed any excitement a player may have gotten from the game about to played. Now it is just a blank feeling of...meh whats the point of this...player has no instant idea if they are doing better when winning or just lost to a superior player when losing a match.

I find it ironic...We got Noun asking "Why don't you take part in tournaments?"<----which is all about rank and competitiveness..

Yet Relic continues to remove every kinda of information there is in auto-match that gives a feel for being competitive and to fire us up.
19 Feb 2014, 22:16 PM

And we all see how many people still play DOW2 and how many people still play vCOH.....

You're trying to say that not knowing your opponents 'strength' before the game is what turns people away?
For real?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

South Africa 1
Russian Federation 70
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %